Mississippi Gun Owners banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
15,591 Posts
If I were buying today on a budget, I’d say Ruger American in .308 or 6.5cm, with a Savage Axis II being a close second. Personally, I wouldn’t own a mossberg mvp for a variety of reasons, even if they were good, but that’s partly personal opinion/preference, not actual trigger time with them,

We’re all assuming ~$400 is what he considers cheap though. You can get a Bergara, Savage 10/110 or something similar for a few hundred more that’s a significant step up. Some folks would consider those cheap guns.

·
Registered
13,728 Posts
I have owned a couple savage axis and a couple of the Ruger american. The Ruger is the better built better feeling gun of the two for not a lot more money, I would spend the extra and I’m usually dealing with a budget. My Ruger in 762x39 will not leave my safe like the savages did.
If he has the funds even the entry bergara are a pretty big step up in fit and finish and quality. Accuracy will improve too if he is a good shot.

I have sold quite a few bergara and rugers in 6.5cm with a decent 4-12 or so scope and I never heard a single complaint on them. Had several come back with buddies for the buddy to get the same setup they were so impressed.

·
Premium Member
6,398 Posts
Amazed most everyone is pointing to a new rifle. He should just go buy a good used 308, 30-06, 270 or such from the local pawn shop. Plenty of good experienced guns that would be good starters. Plenty of them will even have a good enough scope on them for now. He can upgrade later when he proves he is in it for the long haul and has a better idea of what he likes and doesn't like and how he'll be hunting with it.

·
Just another day!
1,300 Posts
Amazed most everyone is pointing to a new rifle. He should just go buy a good used 308, 30-06, 270 or such from the local pawn shop. Plenty of good experienced guns that would be good starters. Plenty of them will even have a good enough scope on them for now. He can upgrade later when he proves he is in it for the long haul and has a better idea of what he likes and doesn't like and how he'll be hunting with it.
I agree with everything you said and that would have been my advice as well.

However, "He wants to buy something new because he doesn’t trust used things, but also something cheap, in case he loses interest." Quote from the original post

·
Registered
7,293 Posts
Yes he could buy something tried and true like an old Remington 700 IF he were willing to wait until after hunting season. There are ALWAYS lots of bargain hunting rifles, often complete with a telescope, beginning around February or March. People pawn & lose their guns, or just sell them outright.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Yes he could buy something tried and true like an old Remington 700 IF he were willing to wait until after hunting season. There are ALWAYS lots of bargain hunting rifles, often complete with a telescope, beginning around February or March. People pawn & lose their guns, or just sell them outright.
The first thing I told him was that he picked the absolute worse time to go looking for a hunting rifle. I also suggested a good used rifle, but he really seems to want a new gun.

·
Registered
15,591 Posts
The first thing I told him was that he picked the absolute worse time to go looking for a hunting rifle. I also suggested a good used rifle, but he really seems to want a new gun.
I get it. I used to be that way. If you don’t know what you’re looking for, you can get screwed and inherit someone else’s problem on the used market. Buying new gets you a warranty at least, plus some features that were less common on older guns.

If he doesn’t know what he’s looking at or have someone who can devote the time to help him pick out a quality used gun, then asking for advice on new guns is the most efficient route.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I have a Ruger American Rifle chambered in .308 cal. which is a great bolt action, mag. feed with a rail mount for a scope. This firearm is a great rifle out to 500 yards so, around 200 yards would be a piece of cake.

Camera accessory Trigger Air gun Bicycle part Wood

21 - 29 of 29 Posts