Mississippi Gun Owners banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
676 Posts
My opinion on dots is the same on both long gun and handgun. Without at least a front post to co-witness is a big no on a defensive gun for me. It’s just too easy to be misaligned even with a shouldered rifle. If the dot and the post ain’t lined up it ain’t on target. As far is concealing goes, it wouldn’t be that big a deal for me.

·
μολὼν λαβέ
38,417 Posts

·
Registered
760 Posts
For target shooting as long as you can keep your eyes behind the pistol while transitioning targets it gets you on target quicker (no ligning things up just place the dot and squeeze) but I will say that unless the weapon you are using points well in your hands (when you pull up to find the sights they kind of naturally line up for you without having to move your head or the weapon around any/ or when you try to present the weapon on target and point it the sights line up at what you were trying to point at) sometimes it’s a little hard to find the dot.

·
Registered
676 Posts
You're gonna shoot your twig and berries off. :p
Ive been told I’ll shoot it off, cause it to fall off, wear it out, and my wife has offered to cut it off if I ever cheat. Yet some how it’s still there and works as good as when I was 20. 😂

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
I've been shooting a red dot on a pistol fairly exclusively for 3 years now, had a red dot on my carry gun for almost 2... It's faster, it's less visual confusion, and, despite the original assertion, no more difficult to conceal. 10 years from now, people will look at you funny if you don't have a red dot on your hand gun. Reliability, price point, and designs will do nothing but improve from here. It's the future and the future is now.

·
Registered
676 Posts
I've been shooting a red dot on a pistol fairly exclusively for 3 years now, had a red dot on my carry gun for almost 2... It's faster, it's less visual confusion, and, despite the original assertion, no more difficult to conceal. 10 years from now, people will look at you funny if you don't have a red dot on your hand gun. Reliability, price point, and designs will do nothing but improve from here. It's the future and the future is now.
I think it depends on what and how you carry. But I can conceal my full-size with light strong side it’s just easier in AIWB. There are a lot of instances where my subcompact is necessary but I’ve been trying to carry the big one more consistently. And in appendix I could easily add a dot with no additional headache.

·
Registered
830 Posts
I don't own any red dot optics currently, I have a pistol that will accept one and want to mount one on it in the future. The main thing that concerns me about the open style dots is the fact that if if you get dirt or lint over the diode then it will obstruct the dot and you would have to rely on acquiring your irons through the site, and I have heard that you have to dis mount and re-zero some of them to change the battery. I also prefer appendix carry if I am concealing, it seems to allow me to conceal larger pistols easier than 4 o' clock.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts