Mississippi Gun Owners banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for pure soft lead to cast for Black Powder revolvers. I’ve got a small quantity of roofing lead and a couple of feet of scrap lead wire. Maybe 5 pounds all told. I have ~100 pounds mixed of cleaned wheel weights and 1# ingots of what I’m sure is someone else’s old alloyed lead. All of this came from my local recyclers. I’ve been told not to use wheel weights for black powder and I’m not willing to use the ingots until I’m able to get a lead tester. Does anyone know of a reliable source for pure lead? I’ve looked at Roto Metals but they’re a bit expensive after shipping. A “local” supplier would be great. A recycler or scrap yard between Jackson and Hammond or Natchez and Hattiesburg.

Any suggestions?

Reactions: rigrat

·
Premium Member
6,366 Posts
As for rotometals, it’s a good option if you don’t find any local. Much more $ than typical salvage but you know what you’re getting. For us small qty casters, it’s still way cheaper than jacketed. Free shipping if you buy >$99.

·
Deplorable Curmudgeon
17,338 Posts
$6.46 per pound, minimum 5 pounds
$6.03 for 5 lb

·
μολὼν λαβέ
39,708 Posts
$6.46 per pound, minimum 5 pounds
$6.03 for 5 lb

That is per pound now. They have changed there pricing scheme.

So at $6+ dollars a pound its pretty high.

·
Deplorable Curmudgeon
17,338 Posts
That is per pound now. They have changed there pricing scheme.

So at $6+ dollars a pound its pretty high.
look at the lead wool. 5 lb box for 6 bucks

·
μολὼν λαβέ
39,708 Posts
look at the lead wool. 5 lb box for 6 bucks
I think I would verify that with them before ordering. Just me though.

·
Deplorable Curmudgeon
17,338 Posts

·
Deplorable Curmudgeon
17,338 Posts
shows it instock, i would ask to see the ,msds on the lead wool, if it is pure, buy 4 -5 lb boxes

·
μολὼν λαβέ
39,708 Posts
Uh they do ship get online and look. Like I said I'd call and check the price per weight first. It doesn't matter if they have a jillion stores that doesn't change the fact they DO SHIP and to verify price.

·
μολὼν λαβέ
39,708 Posts
Sure looks like they have free shipping to me. Well for a company that doesn't ship according to you Frodo.
Order Review
Click to review items in your order
Items Subtotal$60.30
Shipping :Free
Taxes$4.22
ORDER TOTAL:$64.52

·
Deplorable Curmudgeon
17,338 Posts
Uh they do ship get online and look. Like I said I'd call and check the price per weight first. It doesn't matter if they have a jillion stores that doesn't change the fact they DO SHIP and to verify price.
calm your arse down or I will i send a squad of Hobbits over to your hose to pee on your grass

·
μολὼν λαβέ
39,708 Posts
You're so funny.

·
Registered
12,505 Posts

·
μολὼν λαβέ
39,708 Posts
Can tell rig is feeling better, he’s back to his old ornery argumentative ways 🤣
Seriously?

yes excuse me for correcting the fact that they actually do ship according to there web site. But don't mind me carry on RW.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts