close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Religious Freedom Restoration Act---no, not the new Mississippi law

Discussion in 'Round Table' started by NRA_guy, Apr 28, 2016.

1. NRA_guy

NRA_guy Distinguished Poster

I did not realize that the US passed a law similar to the Mississippi

And the bill was introduced by Congressman Chuck Schumer (D-NY) on March 11, 1993. A companion bill was introduced in the Senate by Ted Kennedy (D-MA) the same day. A unanimous U.S. House and a nearly unanimous U.S. Senate—three senators voted against passage[2]—passed the bill, and President Bill Clinton signed it into law.

The Supreme Court tossed the applicability of the Act to states---but it has been upheld with regard to Federal agencies.

And . . . twenty individual states have passed State Religious Freedom Restoration Acts that apply to state governments and local municipalities.

This law mandates that strict scrutiny be used when determining whether the Free Exercise Clause of the First Amendment to the United States Constitution, guaranteeing religious freedom, has been violated. In the Religious Freedom Restoration Act, Congress states in its findings that a religiously neutral law can burden a religion just as much as one that was intended to interfere with religion;[4] therefore the Act states that the “Government shall not substantially burden a person’s exercise of religion even if the burden results from a rule of general applicability.”

Sounds like Mississippi is just joining the crowd.

See:

Religious Freedom Restoration Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

PS: The Mississippi law is not nearly as discriminatory as the national LGBT crowd would like for you to believe:

The Left’s Dishonest Freakout over Mississippi’s Religious-Freedom Bill, by Jane Clark Scharl, National Review

phillipd, maxhush, CajunBP and 3 others like this.
  2. mascott

mascott Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

I guess that is just Soooo Nineties.

3. sand_man

sand_man Grouchy Old Fart MSGO Supporter

Gov. Bryant put out a list of states that already had a law similar to ours on his FB page. I posted it on the first post. I'll repost it here after I find it.

4. NRA_guy

NRA_guy Distinguished Poster

^ Interesting. Thanks.