Mississippi Gun Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Chronographed some loads in my Model 70 with identical components and specs other than changing powder between Reloader 22 and 23. Had a chrono malfunction so didn't get all the Reloader 22 charges chronographed.

These loads are for a commercial action and not CG Mauser.

Brass: New Nosler
Bullets: Sierra Game King 130 grain
Seat Depth: 2.562 Ogive
Primer: Federal Large Rifle Match (Gold)
Powder: Alliant Reloader 22 & 23
Conditions: Sunny @ 85 degrees, 80%+ Humidity

While the Reloader 23 showed higher velocities than the Reloader 22 it was less than 1%. So, that is within the bounds of lot variation in my experience. So, without testing different lots of 22 vs 23, looks like they are basically the same in these conditions, load specs, this rifle and this cartridge.

See attached Excel spreadsheet. I couldn't figure out how to copy a table into the web page.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,274 Posts
Good info.

I would just like reiterate as you stated for new Swede shooters with the info that these loads are only applicable in newer 6.5x55 rifles. I would not recommend going much above 2600 FPS or around 45 gr of R22/23 in a milsurp (small ring) Swedish Mauser. Ljungman, stay with Garand safe powders.

·
Premium Member
3,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My loads in my CG mausers are in the 2,200-2,400 range. These are real velocities measured with a chrono...not book numbers.

·
Premium Member
6,274 Posts
Know you don’t want to bog this down with discussion on the older action, but I use 140 bthp and R22 at 44.5 in the milsurps and it yields around 2550 and excellent accuracy so no issue pushing on up some.

·
Premium Member
3,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Know you don’t want to bog this down with discussion on the older action, but I use 140 bthp and R22 at 44.5 in the milsurps and it yields around 2550 and excellent accuracy so no issue pushing on up some.
Have you tried any of the RL 23 in the same load to see if the accuracy holds up?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts