Mississippi Gun Owners banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to load some 55 grain Sierra Game Kings for my AR for hog hunting. These will be for up close work when there are lots of little ones and I'm looking to take multiple shots quickly. Got other guns set up for bigger hogs (AR-10) or long range shots (too many to list here).

I'm wanting to use CFE 223 for the load. In looking at the Hodgdon manual and they have the following listed:

Minimum Maximum

Wt fps PSI Wt fps PSI
26.0 3133 43,300 27.8 3329 51,300

Their manual doesn't distinguish between an AR vs. a bolt gun like some of the other manuals. However, the other manuals I have don't list CFE223. If I'm loading for an AR-15 with a 16" barrel, using commercial 223 brass in a 5.56 chamber. Should this min and max be good for an AR? What PSI, fps, or other stat should I be trying to be at for appropriate gas pressure and cycling of the action? Or, am I overthinking it and anything with in this range should cycle appropriately?

Thanks.

·
μολὼν λαβέ
35,484 Posts
The max is about the same as QuickLOAD says the max is.

So I think you will be good to go. My load is a 55 grain BTSP (2nds so not sure brand though I think Sierra) over 27.5 grains CFE223.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Honestly, seems to me that for close up like you are talking about I would figure even the minimum would be more than enough. Any of those velocities will open the bullet and the slower velocity that close will maybe be a bit less explosive thereby holding together long for more penetration. Though as you mentioned smaller animals that is probably of less concern.

·
μολὼν λαβέ
35,484 Posts
I know the load I posted was devastating on a possum. Not quite as big but judging by that think it would do the job up close on pigs.

·
Registered
10,818 Posts
Take Aim at Rifle Reloading Data | Hodgdon Reloading

This is my “go to” website for CFE223 loads, since my Lyman book (49th) is a little lacking. I think the Lyman 50th and Hornady 10th have a few loads for this powder.

I run 26.6 grains of CFE223 under a 55 grain FMJ with a 2.20” COL for my plinking rounds. I’ve also used that weight on SP, HP, and Ballistic Tip, but don’t remember the COL on those. I still want to tweak those rounds, too. Especially the COL. Both AR’s I’m loading these for are 1:9 twist. Should be 16” and 18” barrels.

Don’t have a chrono, though. I’ve been threatening to make some homemade ballistic gel for a while.

·
μολὼν λαβέ
35,484 Posts
Take Aim at Rifle Reloading Data | Hodgdon Reloading

This is my “go to” website for CFE223 loads, since my Lyman book (49th) is a little lacking. I think the Lyman 50th and Hornady 10th have a few loads for this powder.

I run 26.6 grains of CFE223 under a 55 grain FMJ with a 2.20” COL for my plinking rounds. I’ve also used that weight on SP, HP, and Ballistic Tip, but don’t remember the COL on those. I still want to tweak those rounds, too. Especially the COL. Both AR’s I’m loading these for are 1:9 twist. Should be 16” and 18” barrels.

Don’t have a chrono, though. I’ve been threatening to make some homemade ballistic gel for a while.
Your set up of 26.6 gr CFE223 out of a 16" barrel should give about 2842 fps.

·
Nocturnal Specialties
7,205 Posts
Thanks.

What I do if I have time is start at min load and work up In 0.5gr increments till I see swipes on the brass or primers starting to show pressure. Once I see either I'll back off 1 grain and load em up.
That way you know where your pressure is and 1 gr away is plenty.
Especially if your testing loads in summer, you know they are good in the winter.

Work up loads in winter I'd back off 1.5-2gr for a safe summer shooting round.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks.

What I do if I have time is start at min load and work up In 0.5gr increments till I see swipes on the brass or primers starting to show pressure. Once I see either I'll back off 1 grain and load em up.
That way you know where your pressure is and 1 gr away is plenty.
Especially if your testing loads in summer, you know they are good in the winter.

Work up loads in winter I'd back off 1.5-2gr for a safe summer shooting round.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
I'm very familiar with watching for swipes on bolt guns but didn't know to look for that on an AR.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts