close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Reloading/casting for 12g

Discussion in 'Reloading/Ammunition' started by Ellis93, May 8, 2017.

1. Ellis93

Ellis93 Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

Didn't know if anyone would be interested in it.....figured I'd share anyhow.
    Went out this afternoon to do my usual shooting (mostly pistol) and figured I see if I could recoup some lead since I built my berm back up. With the rain we've had the last week,there was no time spent and I had about 3pounds back in possession. Not a lot but enough to feel good about. I even kicked up a Lee slug from my past testing of them.....it didn't change its shape a whole lot hitting dirt,and now I'm wondering how they fair hitting soft targets
    IMG_3598.JPG IMG_3599.JPG IMG_3600.JPG IMG_3601.JPG
    Now to decide how to go about shooting them into water.......without death occurring lol

rigrat, SubGunFan and phillipd like this.
  2. phillipd

phillipd Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

columbus
    I'm sure me, you, and Bo can come up with something

rigrat and Ellis93 like this.

3. Ellis93

Long section of pvc.....4" or larger in diameter,tilted something like 20* and filled with water,capped on one end. Only thing that has crossed my mind.

Might get expensive lol

rigrat likes this.
  4. Ellis93

Woke at 3:30 this morning,lower back knotted up and almost had me folded in half so I got up and headed to the ammo plant. It's been on my mind for some time to get some buckshot and slugs loaded back up. Kinda depleted what I had sighting in my 1300 with its new rifle sights.
    My roll crimping is getting a lot better. Still not perfect but they look decent
    IMG_3614.JPG IMG_3615.JPG IMG_3616.JPG IMG_3617.JPG
    Now I'm almost out of clear hulls,time to start looking for them on bpi and midway

I notice bpi has hull and wad packages.....has anyone used one from them?

5. Ellis93

Ordered some more new hulls Monday from Midway.....had them Friday,loaded some up this afternoon. Some graphite tumbled 00 buck and some Lyman slugs.
    IMG_3633.JPG IMG_3634.JPG IMG_3635.JPG
    Was curious if I could get 1oz of shot inside those short universal hulls I've been shoving Lee slugs in. Looks like they'll work out as far as holding it.....I'll need to see if they actually work lol
    IMG_3636.JPG IMG_3637.JPG IMG_3638.JPG IMG_3640.JPG
    Not a lot shorter....but enough for me,for now.

BasMstr, 22lrfan and SubGunFan like this.
  6. SubGunFan

SubGunFan Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

Jackson
    WOW.... Ellis. You have been BUSY lately. Me, my reloading has been on hold for quite a while. Heck, I need to shoot some of what I have loaded................

Question...... The new hulls you are buying, are they skived or unskived hulls? Roll crimping works best on unskived hulls.

Are you coming to the mini M&G at Randy's in a few weeks? If yes, PLEASE make me about 50+ of the Lyman slugs and coated lime green. I will bring you lead and/or cash for the slugs. I LIKE your Zombie Slugs ! ! !

BTW..... I need to try tumbling buckshot in graphite. I have been just tumbling the buckshot dry and then hosing it down with WD-40. Still goes...... BANG. :D

7. SubGunFan

SubGunFan Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

Jackson
    Also................ If you are coming to the mini M&G, I will bring you some mini shells. Both slug and buck.

rigrat, BasMstr and Ellis93 like this.
  8. Ellis93

Appreciate it.
    I'll try to get some slugs coated up for you. I have to sit down and cast more first. I'm out of everything.....00 buck,lee slugs and the Lyman. I've shot a lot of those slugs lol. The gong loves it.

rigrat and SubGunFan like this.
  9. Ellis93

Oh and I have been using unskived but these last are skived. My error,didn't even cross my mind to look while ordering.
    No they do not like to roll crimp but if you play with them.....they'll do it.

rigrat and SubGunFan like this.
  10. Ellis93

Another afternoon session. This time 000 buck,tumbled in graphite.
    IMG_3641.JPG
    The crimp is with the skived hulls....not a whole lot of difference between it and unskived
    IMG_3642.JPG
    30 short shell Lee slugs ready for crimping off to the side lol

11. rigrat

rigrat Semper Fi

You and Subgun got this reloading shotgun shells down to a science. Very nice work need to put a order in for about 100 mini's in buck and slug one day.

Ellis93 and BasMstr like this.
  12. Ellis93

Man once I'm comfortable will all this I'll hook you up.
    I was looking on BPI today and found some short wads with no cushion between the cup and gas seal. I'm going to be ordering some shortly so I can perfect the smaller bird shot shells. Those things worked really well.....just tedious to put together with cutting the wad apart to get it to the height I need.

BasMstr, SubGunFan and rigrat like this.
  13. HotRod61

HotRod61 Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

I have access to 4",6"and 8" pvc not long lengths most scrap. Let me know

BasMstr and Ellis93 like this.
  14. Ellis93

Will do

BasMstr likes this.