Mississippi Gun Owners banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Want to start reloading for my revolver and lever action, I manly shoot 38's in both of them. So I got to thinking is it better to load 38's or just load 357's light?
My thought is the the 357's will be a little cleaner since the case fills more of the cylinder on the revolver (may be a mute point) but I can also just have one type of brass, and if I do want to load on up to mag I can.

What says the collective knowledge?

·
μολὼν λαβέ
37,023 Posts
Want to start reloading for my revolver and lever action, I manly shoot 38's in both of them. So I got to thinking is it better to load 38's or just load 357's light?
My thought is the the 357's will be a little cleaner since the case fills more of the cylinder on the revolver (may be a mute point) but I can also just have one type of brass, and if I do want to load on up to mag I can.

What says the collective knowledge?
For the revolver if you shoot lots of 38's in the 357 you will build up a lead ring in the chamber if you don't keep the cylinders cleaned. So if you have 357 brass I'd just do the 357. I have more 38's so thats what I load. If I am loading specifically loading for the 357 revolver of mine sometimes if I use 38 brass I'll load it long.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't have enough 38 brass saved up to sway my decision. Would be buying some brass to start up so leaning towards 357.
Thanks for the info.

·
Premium Member
693 Posts
I have a friend in my Cowboy Action Shooting club who shoots a .357 Henry Big Boy. He only loads very light cowboy loads in .357 cases for cycling reliability. Similarly, I'm using a Marlin .44 Mag and I use .44 Mag cases with light cowboy loads, though the rifle can fire .44 Special.

There are no simple and pat rules, though. Much of it depends on the given rifle, your OAL and - especially - bullet design. As an example, my Marlin will cycle and easily feed any jacketed bullet. When it comes to lead bullets though, it's extremely sensitive to bullet profile. Mine won't feed SWCs and only likes RNL and specifically the Lee 240 grain RNL.

Best
Doc

·
MSGO Court Jester
39,401 Posts
I've shot thousands of.38s in .357 revolvers. Not a problem if you clean them well and often. If you're going to shoot both in one outing, shoot .357 first. That way, you won't have a problem during your session.

·
Registered
9,625 Posts
Normally no problem shooting .38's in .357's other than the additional cleaning needed, but you might notice slightly better accuracy using the .357 brass since there is less bullet jump to the rifling and I would expect more positive feeding in the lever action.

·
μολὼν λαβέ
37,023 Posts
I don't have enough 38 brass saved up to sway my decision. Would be buying some brass to start up so leaning towards 357.
Thanks for the info.
If it was me and just starting up Id bite the bullet to and just get 357 brass.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts