Mississippi Gun Owners banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Sturgeon General.....
732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, after much research and purchasing a LOT of new equipment specially made for loading the 50 BMG, here is the result of my efforts so far....
I was able to deprime the military brass I purchased with a piece of 2x4 that I drilled a 7/8" hole part way through. I then drilled a 3/8" hole the rest of the way through. Then I dropped an oversize washer down inside the 7/8" hole to line the bottom of that hole. What I had created was a solid platform to put the cases into where I could use a steel punch to punch out the spent military crimped primers.
de-primer.JPG

I bought a Lee single stage press kit that came with the dies (except for the factory crimp die which you have to buy separately)..
After depriming the cases, I set out to resize all the cases. I read about some of the case lubes setting you up for disaster (stuck 50 BMG cases are a nightmare) so, I got the case lube that seems to be everyone's favorite.... Imperial sizing wax. The thing I like about that stuff is... A little goes a L----O----N----G way. The size of the can is bewildering when you first see it but it doesn't take much of this wax the get the case good and slick.
Imperial Sizing Wax.jpg

The Lake City brass all sized (with a lot of effort) mostly due to the shear size of these cases. NOTHING like doing a .223.... LOL. Then came the primer pocket issue. I got an RCBS primer crimp remover which cut out all the primer crimps and put a nice chamfer in the outer edge of the primer pocket.
RCBS Primer Crimp Remover.jpg

Then I ran the RCBS primer pocket uniformer inside the primer pocket to make the sides and depth of ALL the primer pockets a uniform size. I can tell you this.... Those primer pockets were ALL a different size. Some would cut from top to bottom and some the tool would never cut anything off. Just sort of polish the sides. BUT, now they are all the same.
RCBS Primer Pocket Uniformer.jpg

After this, I put the cases in the Lyman 50 BMG case trimmer (specially made for the 50 BMG cases) and cut them all to 3.91" in length. Some of the cases shed a BUNCH of brass too. I mean some were cut down by a good 1/8".... there was a LOT of brass shavings after this step.
lyman 50bmg case trimmer.jpg

Then, just to be sure, I ran all the cases back through the sizing die to MAKE SURE the cases were sized from top to bottom FULL LENGTH. This didn't take long since I had already sized them once.
When it came to repriming the cases, it sure was evident that not performing the primer pocket uniforming step would have been a disaster (reloading 50 BMG rounds has a LOT of potential for disaster built in....LOL). BUT, all my primers went in the prepped cases with NO issues.
Then, I put in the new primers (CCI #35 at about $.51 ea)... added 210 grains of Hodgdon H50BMG powder (about $.82 worth of powder) and seated a resized 645 grain API pulldown bullet ( $.58 for ea bullet). This on top of the brass case I got for $.80 ea (shipped) puts my first reloads at $2.71 each. My first round of reloads has supplies PLUS hazmat / shipping included. I hope I can find some good (decent) prices for supplies at a gun show... (not holding my breath 'till I do). I've also got to visit Van's to see how his prices go.
So now, I still wait for my rifle to arrive so I can go shoot these studiously (a word ??) prepared rounds.

Mike

·
Super Moderator
13,505 Posts
Mike do you need reloading components? A few months ago a buddy of mine was trying to sell a package deal with a .50 BMG rifle and literally a truck load of reloading stuff. He had powder in 55 gallon drums and cases, primers, powder, and all sorts of interesting bullets

·
Sturgeon General.....
732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mike do you need reloading components? A few months ago a buddy of mine was trying to sell a package deal with a .50 BMG rifle and literally a truck load of reloading stuff. He had powder in 55 gallon drums and cases, primers, powder, and all sorts of interesting bullets
Yes, I could use some cheaper components. If he still has anything good hanging around I am interested.
Thanks Phillip.

·
Sturgeon General.....
732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ETA: OUCH......... $0.51 each for the primers.

Well, no pics of my reloads (yet). After the final step and putting them in a carry box, I was relieved and just shut the lid. This has been a LONG process from start to finish.....LOL.

Yep, $.51 each....but that was with a nice hazmat fee and shipping attached. And I only bought 200 first go round.
Still, if you have never seen one of these primers..... THEY are HUGE. About the size of a 22 blank.

·
Sturgeon General.....
732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I will get some pics of my reloads.... but until I do.... here is my sized and tumbled cases in my good ole home made loading block. Heck, after drilling the holes, I liked it so much I even sprayed some polyurethane on it....

IMG_2442.JPG

After gathering up all the cases I could find along with the ones I bought, I studied the head stamps.
Western Cartridge Company.... 2009
Western Cartridge Co 2009.JPG

Remington Arms..... 1944
Remington Arms 1944.JPG

Lake City...... 2013
Lake City 2013.JPG

·
Sturgeon General.....
732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Here is a batch I am having trouble with. THESE WILL NOT go in the resizing die. They stop about 3/8" before going completely up inside the die. I have tried about 8 or 10 of these thinking maybe the first and second were a fluke. BUT NO.... I can't get ANY to full length resize.

Made in the Desmoines Ordnance Plant..... 1945.
Desmoines Ord Plant 1945.JPG

I have 52 of these and I can't do anything with them. It is like they are too thick at the base of the cartridge..... (bad tolerance issues??)
They are de-primed and cleaned too....
:groan:

·
Super Moderator
13,505 Posts
He still has all of it. I'll be out of pocket a few days and will have to work a couple days when I get back, but he and I are going to get together when I get back on what he has. He also has a bunch of Caspian 1911 frames, slides, and parts. I offered to help him sell them on here and he agreed. Might be a week or so as he has a pretty large inventory and my free time is scarce, but I'll let you know first on the .50 stuff

·
Sturgeon General.....
732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
He still has all of it. I'll be out of pocket a few days and will have to work a couple days when I get back, but he and I are going to get together when I get back on what he has. He also has a bunch of Caspian 1911 frames, slides, and parts. I offered to help him sell them on here and he agreed. Might be a week or so as he has a pretty large inventory and my free time is scarce, but I'll let you know first on the .50 stuff
Thanks so much Phillip. I sent you a PM.

Mike

·
Sturgeon General.....
732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yes but if you can’t load them it’s better then scraping them.
True.... True....
I am just having a hard time giving in to the fact that these cases are a lost cause. Yes, there is more tolerance built in to a M2HB chamber but... I .... well..... heck, I guess I could make bottle openers and give them as gifts.....

·
Registered
2 Posts
Here is a batch I am having trouble with. THESE WILL NOT go in the resizing die. They stop about 3/8" before going completely up inside the die. I have tried about 8 or 10 of these thinking maybe the first and second were a fluke. BUT NO.... I can't get ANY to full length resize.

Made in the Desmoines Ordnance Plant..... 1945.
View attachment 74154

I have 52 of these and I can't do anything with them. It is like they are too thick at the base of the cartridge..... (bad tolerance issues??)
They are de-primed and cleaned too....

1 - 20 of 21 Posts