Mississippi Gun Owners banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
5,486 Posts
Some say don't carry SD ammo that you load. Reason being that if you had to use you gun in a self defense situation, and wind up in court, you could be viewed as someone looking for a fight or premeditated manslaughter or murder because you loaded your own ammo in anticipation.
Well hell, if that is the case, then carrying a gun period could be considered premeditation. Why carry a gun unless you think your going to need it right??
And what about carrying store bought ammo that is a hollow point rather than ball ammo? Could that be viewed as intent to kill vs wound? A lot of argument could be made over ammo choices for SD carry. Maybe a couple legal beagles on the board will respond with their opinions.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
I been carrying reloads on me for several years. I got more faith in them protecting me and my family than anthing else. Period.

·
Registered
15,550 Posts
I would never carry reloaded ammo for SD...One high primer and you are dead...

Not to mention you have just given the lawyers a BIG Stick to beat you with....

Nope I aint gonna do it...

·
Registered
8,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
QC issues would never deter me from carrying my reloads, however the legal issues are my concern.

·
Registered
8,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have READ of lawyers using the fact that you loaded your own "extra deadly" ammunition. Don't know it to be fact, just what I have read and heard.

·
Premium Member
14,731 Posts
I have heard that Pond Scum ("most" lawyers) can say that you reloaded that ammo for the ONLY purpose of wounding/killing my client.

There are a lot of "hungry" lawyers currently out there (note all the lawyer ads on TV and radio). "No fee unless I collect for you" means to me that they are FISHING for cases BIG TIME.....

I suggest you stick with FACTORY AMMO and take one possible variable out of the equation.......................

·
Super Moderator
9,487 Posts
I challenge anyone here to find a case were someone lost a case for using self loaded ammo in a self defense situation...

·
Registered
15,550 Posts
I dunno about losing a case or not....You wanna be the guinea pig?

The damn lawyers will make things very uncomfortable for you on the stand if you used your own reloads....and remember the intelligence or lack there of the average person on the street (jury member) aint all that great and they probably don't know sh!t about reloading....

why would you wanna subject yourself to all that :bull:

You'll be under enough stress as it is....I see no advantage at all to carrying reloads for SD

Too much other good stuff to be had...Like Winchester Ranger,etc etc....

·
Administrator
13,035 Posts
Beladran said:
I challenge anyone here to find a case were someone lost a case for using self loaded ammo in a self defense situation...
I'll bet your right but it's the "what if".

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
I asked my father in law about this. He has been a defense attorney for 25+ years. He said he had never heard of a case where the validity of using reloads in a self defense situation was brought into question. He did say that nothing is off limits however. He said if a lawyer was going to go after a guy for using reloads in a self defense situation, he would probably also go after the fact that the guy was carrying, had possibly applied for a ccw, etc. Basically, he says it would be like defending yourself with a custom knife. Just because you were carrying something better than you can buy at a store, it wouldn't mean you were intending to cut someone with it anymore than if it came from Walmart.

I look at it from the old viewpoint of the judged by 12, carried by 6 theory. I practice with reloads in my carry gun nearly everytime I practice. I carry the same reloads everytime I carry. Just my :2c:

·
Registered
8,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
My reasoning is this, I would be able to practice more with my specific carry load if I loaded my own.

·
Registered
3,466 Posts
3spop said:
I asked my father in law about this. He has been a defense attorney for 25+ years. He said he had never heard of a case where the validity of using reloads in a self defense situation was brought into question. He did say that nothing is off limits however. He said if a lawyer was going to go after a guy for using reloads in a self defense situation, he would probably also go after the fact that the guy was carrying, had possibly applied for a ccw, etc. Basically, he says it would be like defending yourself with a custom knife. Just because you were carrying something better than you can buy at a store, it wouldn't mean you were intending to cut someone with it anymore than if it came from Walmart.

I look at it from the old viewpoint of the judged by 12, carried by 6 theory. I practice with reloads in my carry gun nearly everytime I practice. I carry the same reloads everytime I carry. Just my :2c:
Amen. Thank you!

·
Registered
15,550 Posts
I'm not looking at it from the practicality standpoint...

I'd admit its far better to practice with what you carry...and commercially available SD costs out the butt...so from a practical standpoint it does make sense...

but I'm talking about dealing with the aftermath of a shooting potentially and your butt on the line spending a little quailty hoochie coochie time in jail after some big shot lawyer smokes your but in court and the jury leaves all mesmorized

I've seen this issue come up in all the gun rags over the years...and I've never seen a reputable writer or trainer advocate the use of reloads for SD...not a single one....ya'll know more than they do?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts