Mississippi Gun Owners banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having problems with my 3 gun 1100 not locking back when shot to empty. Also when racking the bolt back heavily, it will not catch and stay open.

·
Premium Member
5,787 Posts
Fire control!!!(trigger plate assy.) With such heavy use, the tip of the carrier latch is probably worn down and in need of replacement. It's located at the front of the fire control housing, and behind lifter, and held in place by a headed pin. It's also under pressure from a piston and stout spring, so careful here. The button at the back of the lifter, (carrier release) warrants inspection, but that's not likely worn to any degree.
The Rem 1100 starts to get a little more complicated down there. Well beyond field stripping.
Where are you located??
ETA: Trig. plate detent springs ("e" clips) are forever falling off the detent bushing, and can cause problems like you describe. There's front and rear of different sizes.

·
Administrator
12,858 Posts
Fire control!!!(trigger plate assy.) With such heavy use, the tip of the carrier latch is probably worn down and in need of replacement. It's located at the front of the fire control housing, and behind lifter, and held in place by a headed pin. It's also under pressure from a piston and stout spring, so careful here. The button at the back of the lifter, (carrier release) warrants inspection, but that's not likely worn to any degree.
The Rem 1100 starts to get a little more complicated down there. Well beyond field stripping.
Where are you located??
ETA: Trig. plate detent springs ("e" clips) are forever falling off the detent bushing, and can cause problems like you describe. There's front and rear of different sizes.
Wow I knew you’d know!!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Where are you located??
Reservoir area. I've actually gone through 2 different shell carriers on the trigger assembly both having been modified to fit a bigger bolt release button for easier shell loading. This was a used 1100 sythetic, dirty as hell, from a gun show that I rebuilt for comp.

·
Premium Member
5,787 Posts
Thought maybe you were close enough for a "look see".
Maybe carrier dog is undersized on new one. A good cleaning and run through the diagnostics department again couldn't hurt. The latch would still be my guess, for bolt hold-open failure, not having "hands-on" or even seen it.

·
Premium Member
6,138 Posts
Thanks for posting this problem. I have rebuilt and repaired some well worn 1100s, I have not come across this problem.

Reactions: Quickeye

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thought maybe you were close enough for a "look see".
Maybe carrier dog is undersized on new one. A good cleaning and run through the diagnostics department again couldn't hurt. The latch would still be my guess, for bolt hold-open failure, not having "hands-on" or even seen it.
Finally got some free time tonight and tinker. The carrier latch definitely looks worn so I went ahead and ordered a new one. Fingers crossed that this solves my issue!!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update!!!
Finally got the carrier latch in today, installed it and literally no difference. Other than the latch looking new finish wise there wasn't much of a difference. After catching my finger in the whole assembly and reassembling and dissembling multiple times I have concluded that the carrier dog area is the problem. By that i mean the bolt plate on the action bar has worn the **** out and wont catch the carrier dog anymore. Honestly at this point I've sunk to much money into spending another $80 on a new action bar. :/

·
Premium Member
6,138 Posts
When I get stumped on working on a gun, I take a break then go back to basics, checking every major system that contributes to the gun functioning as it should. One time I was working on my neighbors 1100 . The gun was jamming shells. I tore the gun down, cleaned up the parts good, took the stock off and cleaned the action spring tube, replaced springs that looked worn and put it back together. Same thing except now the gun was clean.
What did I fail to see? I did not replace the magazine follower. Upon close examination it was worn on the end. I had an after market bright orange follower by Wilson, best I remember
The one time that I had failed to replace the follower and new
magazine spring the gun would not function.
I am just saying this to say that the problem is probably something minor. Did you try shooting the gun before starting the tune up?? If the gun worked before then look at any part or change that you did. One of the blessings to myself is owning a fair assortment of older hunting guns is if I get hung up, I can examine one that functions fine.
Another problem that I have encountered on well used 1100s is the pesky feed latch. If they get a bend that is beyond specs as designed, the gun will not function properly.
If anything I have said helps, use it, if not maybe down the road on another one. They are all built basically the same[1100] but just like people can have different problems arise.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts