Renewed by mail, 8 day turnaround!

Discussion in 'Mississippi Concealed Carry' started by Brother_Love, Jul 19, 2017.

1. Tall Boy

Tall Boy Distinguished Poster

I just had a two week turnaround for a new (enhanced) permit. I was impressed, too...was expecting 45 days.

I'd had a MS permit 1992-2012, but after temporarily relocating to Texas I got a Florida non-resident license that is still valid. I presented my state paperwork, instructor certification, expired MS permit, and my Florida license at the New Albany MHP office (nice efficient folks there) on January 10th. The new permit, showing "instructor certified" on the face of the card, came in today's mail.

2. jakeg823

jakeg823 Distinguished Poster

Richland
    Check the date on the permit. Used to they weren’t valid until 45 days after you submitted the paperwork, whether you got them at 2 weeks or 90 days.

Not that it matters as much anymore, except for purchasing a firearm.

Tall Boy and Mesquite like this.
  3. Mesquite

Mesquite Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

So yours doesn't have sticker, It's labeled in your Card?

Tall Boy likes this.
  4. Tall Boy

The only date on the permit is the expiration date: 01/10/2023. So it seems to be valid immediately. The primary reason I got this permit is for concealed carry as part of the church security team.

That's correct. In red type near the bottom right corner it says Instructor Certified. There's no sticker on the back.

jakeg823 likes this.
  5. Tall Boy

Another difference in this permit and previous ones that I've had is that that below the words "Firearm Permit" at the top of the card, it says "NOT FOR FEDERAL IDENTIFICATION".

6. 45flattop

45flattop Distinguished Poster

Jackson
    Does anyone know what this means? The "NOT FOR FEDERAL IDENTIFICATION".
    I had to renew mine recently and saw that on mine
    but have not a clue what it means.

7. TheBouncer1111

TheBouncer1111 Distinguished Poster

would guess that it can not be considered "legally" as a valid form of govt ID all by itself. i.e. when asked to provide passport, D.L. Military ID, Voting ID, SS card etc.

Tall Boy likes this.
  8. 94LEVERFAN

94LEVERFAN Distinguished Poster

Most places that want ID request 2 pieces of "State Issued ID". Permit and DL should work.

9. dzavoina

dzavoina Distinguished Poster

I tried to use my CCW for ID at the Jackson Airport TSA, but they stated that it was not allowable as ID, I replied that it was a Government issued photo ID, but no go.

Tall Boy and bucmeister like this.
  10. bucmeister

bucmeister Distinguished Poster

SW-MS
    Figured that Federal Identification statement had something to do with flying after seeing articles stating that flyers from several states were going to have to use passports as identification to fly after some date because their state driver's license had not be updated to some new Federal requirement. Guess this statement is to tell us that the permit is also not compliant in some way though MS was shown as compliant with the Driver's license.

Am glad to hear that the mail in renewal is quick and easy. Is it still that we get one mail in renewal then have to go in person for the next then mail then in person etc.

Tall Boy likes this.
  11. 45flattop

45flattop Distinguished Poster

Jackson
    Well I found out ONE meaning of this permit notice means,
    "NOT FOR FEDERAL IDENTIFICATION". I went to
    buy a new rifle today and as has happened before,
    the sales idiot refused to accept my permit in lieu of doing
    an NICS check, as is permitted but not mandatory
    as I understand it, stating to me that your permit
    doesn't permit bypassing an NICS check. I
    suspect this is either the MHP's backhanded way to
    keep us from using a CCW id/permit to purchase
    guns of whatever variety to satisfy some 2A hating
    bureaucrat in their upper ranks. So be on the
    lookout for future trouble when you go to buy from
    an FFL if you have a permit with this verbiage on it.

OR this could be a backdoor way to thin the numbers
    of people holding CCW permits, either way, it doesn't
    bode well for the future.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2018
    Tall Boy likes this.
  12. jakeg823

jakeg823 Distinguished Poster

Richland
    Sounds like you just got a salesman who didn’t know what he’s talking about, or a store that has an excessive CYA policy.

13. bubbat

bubbat Gatekeeper to my corner of Hell.

Clinton
    illuminati.jpg

Quickeye and jakeg823 like this.
  14. Whitearrow

Whitearrow Full Poster

hey brother what all did you have to do to renew by mail in? I've read and reread the send in papers and can't figure out do I need to send in fingerprints,photo, or have to get some pages notorized. my ccw is coming up next month for 5 yr renewal and I'm wanting to get it in the mail. but, don't wanna screw it up and get delayed.
    thanks,
    BigEd

15. wcraft84

wcraft84 Active Member

I was told yesterday by the front desk attendant at the Biloxi office that fingerprints are now required for EVERY renewal. The only thing that is still "every other renewal" is having your photo on the permit updated. I am sitting in the waiting room at this very moment and plan to ask more questions once my number is called. I'll report back if the front desk lady misinformed me.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

16. Whitearrow

Whitearrow Full Poster

thanks wcraft and by all means if some info comes up we need to know about post up. I just got my ccw, still with IC sticker on back,permit back after an approx 9 day turnaround. I did include fingerprints and a pic along with $.
    thanks,
    Big Ed

17. Dukhntn

Dukhntn Distinguished Poster

Did you receive a renewal card in the mail, or did you print paperwork off and send it in? Am I correct in understanding you have to be fingerprinted again? If so, did you go to the local PD or SO to get fingerprinted? Did MHP send you a fingerprint card? My renewal is coming up soon and trying to decide if I need to drive to jackson to renew, or do so by mail.

18. Akoustic

Akoustic Active Member

Jackson
    Arrived to apply for renewal at 12:30pm today at MHP. Finally called to rm 9 for processing at 3:50 pm. Left facility at 4:12pm with FP in hand. Effective date was today so lost almost two months as my old permit was valid until 05/23/18. Received new FP with red IC credentials on front. Received the complete renewal package from MHP via mail on 3/22/18.

19. Akoustic

Akoustic Active Member

Jackson
    OH forgot to mention. Total fee was $52.00. Firearm Permit Renewal Over 65 = $20.00 Plus $32.00 Fingerprint Processing Fee.

rigrat and fordpkup like this.