Mississippi Gun Owners banner

Restoring a family heirloom gun

963 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  ftsibley 
#1 ·
Most of the time, items are not extremely valuable as in this case. I have my grandfathers 20 ga Iver Johnson single shot. Pretty well used up. I searched for 2 years before I found a barrel from a guy in Boston. I have some pretty walnut I have been saving. My grandfather worked all summer in the logging camps of Maine in 1910 and was able to order it for $5.00 from the General Store. It has been in the family ever since. I plan to put it back in shooting shape for future generations. I'll post pics as I go along.

#5 ·
"I remember being kicked from one rut to the other on a dirt road, when I was a boy."

i have never heard recoil described in that manner but i like that. The mental image of that is much better than kicks like a mule. I was started on a single shot 20 that did much the same thing to me as a small kid. My uncle has that gun now and brought all 3 of his boys up learning to shoot with it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.