Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Revolver for Carry?

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by rigrat, Oct 8, 2017.

1. 1adam12

1adam12 Distinguished Poster

I personally carry a revolver for self defense. Ruger SP101 357. Most civilian self defense situations are resolved with 3-5 rounds being fired. If you start shooting at the bad guy from 7 yards away, (any further and you will have a hard time proving it was self defense) you will only have about 1 second before the bad guy is right on top of you. If the bad guy is drugged up and can't feel pain and you haven't made a cns shot, then he can easily take your gun. If you have fired all 5 shots he can only pistol whip you. If you are carrying a gun with 17 rounds the he has 12 to put in you or your family. If you do hit him with 5 shots, it will take him a few minutes to bleed out or realize he is hurt bad. Reason #2 is if you have a shot or two left when he gets right on top of you, the you can press a revolver in his gut and fire. Try that with a semi auto pistol. Most will come slightly out of battery and not fire.
    LeansVeryRight2016 likes this.
  2. Altjaeger

Altjaeger Member

It comes with practice. Twenty years ago I went through the NRA instructors course at the Mississippi Law Enforcement Officers Academy. I did it with a Ruger GP100, because I was teaching federal security officers who at that time were carrying .38 revolvers. I was the only one in the course of about 60 officers using a revolver. Slightly slower reloading than the guys with automatics, but not significant when I qualified. I discovered I had better trigger control with the revolver than with an autoloader!
    rigrat and jakeg823 like this.

3. sand_man

sand_man Grouchy Old Fart MSGO Supporter

Being in a wheelchair now presented a whole new set of problems for me to carry a handgun. I did a whole lot of research and found a decent fanny pack that uses stretch bands instead of a set holster. With the bands you can carry right or left handed. Since I haven't been able to shoot my Ruger LC9s I won't carry it. I swap up carrying my CA Undercover with 2 speedloaders for a total of 15 rounds. When I carry my CA 44 Pug I have one speedloader for 10 rounds. I have been everywhere with this rig and nobody looks at me twice. I have multiple pockets that hold my wallet, glasses, extra meds, flashlight, and knife. It is working good so far.
    22lrfan, rigrat, Hoot G and 2 others like this.
  4. Chris Boyd

Chris Boyd Distinguished Poster

SW MS
    My CCW is a compact 9mm pistol with 12+1 and no extra mag loaded with Hornady Critical Defense. I use to think that's enough but have lately considered a hammerless snub-nose .38spl as a backup in my boot. Just haven't followed through. Also thinking of keeping a PCC with plenty of extra ammo in the truck for those SHTF kinda situations.
  5. mascott

mascott Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

Back in my VERY ignorant days, (no comments!!) I witnessed a woman getting attacked by a ouple of thugs at Northpark in broad daylight. I foolishly chased them off and chased them in my vehicle for about 4 miles to at least get their tag number, which I did, but I only had a 5 shot 38 S&W on me with NO reload. I realized after that day I would never be in that situation again. I now carry that 38, but also have a 15 round 40 cal and my pocket carry 40 cal with me at all times. They all have at least 1 reload. I wasn't ignorant for coming to her "rescue", I was however ignorant to chase them like that with my wife and 3 kids in the SUV with me!!!!
  6. Capt. William G. Stimac

Capt. William G. Stimac Full Poster

Here's the thing: a concealed weapon MUST be EASY to carry, compact, light, and adequately powerful. If it's a burden you'll be tempted to leave it at home or in the car when it's 102 degrees in the shade. If you can't pop it into a pocket and go it's no good.
    A S&W 442 with 2 speedloaders for "concealed" carry is about perfect. You don't have to fix or modify anything. For concealment situations I started out with a S&W Centennial (now called the 442) in 1976; as a professional. Now as a retiree, I see no reason to change. I qualify for HR218 status annually and have never had a problem. I would recommend Safariland Comp 1 speedloaders over HKS. The Comp 1 is much more positive. Crimson Trace grips are an option. Keep a 1911 in your vehicle, out of sight but within easy/quick reach of your driver's position, and as many magazines as you like.
    If the situation requires more than this you don't need a different handgun; you need to call a SWAT team.
    jakeg823 likes this.
  7. patchz

patchz Court Jester

I don't agree. I've been carrying since 1970, as a professional until I retired in 1993. I've carried S&W model 36 & 12 with 2" barrel, model 19 4", 29 6.5", 39, 59, 4506, and 13 3". Since 1993 I've carried a Colt 1991A1 Compact, Kimber Stainless II 5", and Kimber Pro Raptor 4". The last two are steel frame and slide and not what I consider light weight. I have never been tempted to leave them at home, regardless of the temperature, and I always carry two extra mags. I got used to it and they never were uncomfortable. I have only carried pocket guns as backup. It's what you practice with enough to get used to and can use proficiently.
  8. cwink

cwink Distinguished Poster

Another good revolver option is the Ruger LCR in 327 Federal Mag. Same size gun as the 38Spl, but you get a 6th round and the 327 is pushing ballistics that are close to the 357 Mag. Drop down and shoot the 32 H&R Mag out of it and the recoil is mild and your ballistics are somewhere between the 380 and 9mm round. For plinking you can shoot the 32S&W or 32S&W Long.
    Chris Boyd and rigrat like this.