close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Revolver for Carry?

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by rigrat, Oct 8, 2017.

Tags:
  1. 1adam12

1adam12 Distinguished Poster

I personally carry a revolver for self defense. Ruger SP101 357. Most civilian self defense situations are resolved with 3-5 rounds being fired. If you start shooting at the bad guy from 7 yards away, (any further and you will have a hard time proving it was self defense) you will only have about 1 second before the bad guy is right on top of you. If the bad guy is drugged up and can't feel pain and you haven't made a cns shot, then he can easily take your gun. If you have fired all 5 shots he can only pistol whip you. If you are carrying a gun with 17 rounds the he has 12 to put in you or your family. If you do hit him with 5 shots, it will take him a few minutes to bleed out or realize he is hurt bad. Reason #2 is if you have a shot or two left when he gets right on top of you, the you can press a revolver in his gut and fire. Try that with a semi auto pistol. Most will come slightly out of battery and not fire.

LeansVeryRight2016 likes this.
  2. Altjaeger

Altjaeger Member

It comes with practice. Twenty years ago I went through the NRA instructors course at the Mississippi Law Enforcement Officers Academy. I did it with a Ruger GP100, because I was teaching federal security officers who at that time were carrying .38 revolvers. I was the only one in the course of about 60 officers using a revolver. Slightly slower reloading than the guys with automatics, but not significant when I qualified. I discovered I had better trigger control with the revolver than with an autoloader!

rigrat and jakeg823 like this.

3. sand_man

sand_man Grouchy Old Fart MSGO Supporter

Being in a wheelchair now presented a whole new set of problems for me to carry a handgun. I did a whole lot of research and found a decent fanny pack that uses stretch bands instead of a set holster. With the bands you can carry right or left handed. Since I haven't been able to shoot my Ruger LC9s I won't carry it. I swap up carrying my CA Undercover with 2 speedloaders for a total of 15 rounds. When I carry my CA 44 Pug I have one speedloader for 10 rounds. I have been everywhere with this rig and nobody looks at me twice. I have multiple pockets that hold my wallet, glasses, extra meds, flashlight, and knife. It is working good so far.

22lrfan, rigrat, Hoot G and 2 others like this.
  4. Chris Boyd

Chris Boyd Distinguished Poster

SW MS
    My CCW is a compact 9mm pistol with 12+1 and no extra mag loaded with Hornady Critical Defense. I use to think that's enough but have lately considered a hammerless snub-nose .38spl as a backup in my boot. Just haven't followed through. Also thinking of keeping a PCC with plenty of extra ammo in the truck for those SHTF kinda situations.

5. mascott

mascott Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

Back in my VERY ignorant days, (no comments!!) I witnessed a woman getting attacked by a ouple of thugs at Northpark in broad daylight. I foolishly chased them off and chased them in my vehicle for about 4 miles to at least get their tag number, which I did, but I only had a 5 shot 38 S&W on me with NO reload. I realized after that day I would never be in that situation again. I now carry that 38, but also have a 15 round 40 cal and my pocket carry 40 cal with me at all times. They all have at least 1 reload. I wasn't ignorant for coming to her "rescue", I was however ignorant to chase them like that with my wife and 3 kids in the SUV with me!!!!

6. Capt. William G. Stimac

Capt. William G. Stimac Full Poster

Here's the thing: a concealed weapon MUST be EASY to carry, compact, light, and adequately powerful. If it's a burden you'll be tempted to leave it at home or in the car when it's 102 degrees in the shade. If you can't pop it into a pocket and go it's no good.
    A S&W 442 with 2 speedloaders for "concealed" carry is about perfect. You don't have to fix or modify anything. For concealment situations I started out with a S&W Centennial (now called the 442) in 1976; as a professional. Now as a retiree, I see no reason to change. I qualify for HR218 status annually and have never had a problem. I would recommend Safariland Comp 1 speedloaders over HKS. The Comp 1 is much more positive. Crimson Trace grips are an option. Keep a 1911 in your vehicle, out of sight but within easy/quick reach of your driver's position, and as many magazines as you like.
    If the situation requires more than this you don't need a different handgun; you need to call a SWAT team.

jakeg823 likes this.
  7. patchz

patchz Court Jester

I don't agree. I've been carrying since 1970, as a professional until I retired in 1993. I've carried S&W model 36 & 12 with 2" barrel, model 19 4", 29 6.5", 39, 59, 4506, and 13 3". Since 1993 I've carried a Colt 1991A1 Compact, Kimber Stainless II 5", and Kimber Pro Raptor 4". The last two are steel frame and slide and not what I consider light weight. I have never been tempted to leave them at home, regardless of the temperature, and I always carry two extra mags. I got used to it and they never were uncomfortable. I have only carried pocket guns as backup. It's what you practice with enough to get used to and can use proficiently.

rigrat, osiek and ialefty2 like this.