close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Revolver or Semi Auto

Discussion in 'Mississippi Concealed Carry' started by 1adam12, May 6, 2017.

Tags:

Revolver or Semi Auto for Conceal Carry?

1. Revolver

8 vote(s)
    23.5%
  2. Semi Auto

26 vote(s)
    76.5%
  1. Trashy

Trashy Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

What day is it?

maxhush, sigpro2022 and patchz like this.
  2. rigrat

rigrat Mr. Sunshine

I said both earlier but didn't notice it was a poll. So I had to vote semi because I carry my CM9 or G19 more than my S&W m64 or Ruger Security Six. If I had 2-3 over the belt speedloaders I would be carrying my revolver more I believe.

sigpro2022 likes this.

3. 94LEVERFAN

94LEVERFAN Distinguished Poster

Carry a .40 and a 9, both, with spare mags. They are just to get me back to the truck if SHTF.

sigpro2022 and fordpkup like this.
  4. rigrat

rigrat Mr. Sunshine

Raffle day!

5. onlymaroonmatters

onlymaroonmatters Hold my beer, watch dis MSGO Supporter

Laurel
    Indeed it is

sigpro2022 likes this.
  6. phillipd

phillipd Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

columbus
    Dibs on security six

rigrat likes this.
  7. wllmkttrll

wllmkttrll Distinguished Poster

clinton
  8. DEADEYE 1

DEADEYE 1 Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

I like autos and enjoy shooting them. The ammo today and high quality semi autos make things a lot different for this generation. 40 years ago with the shooters and hunters that I knew, you used a shotgun for almost everything. Myself and a couple friends were some of the few that started shooting revolvers in my neck of the woods. To tell you the truth, for years I would not trust a semi-auto. But in the last 15 to 20 years I have come a long way in my acceptance and enjoyment of shooting semi-auto handguns.
    I still get funny looks when I talk to somebody that I have just met and start talking about the 44 magnum and the deer that I have killed with my Smith. Now that is one more accomplishment that I would like to achieve while I still can is take a deer with a semi-auto. I think that my 357 Sig/Glock that I have not shot yet could do it. I feel confident that our sport and way of life is in good hands with all of you that love guns and shooting as much as I do. Carry on.

Blondie70 and phillipd like this.
  9. Roadking

Roadking Full Poster

for a carry gun i want all the rounds i can get. 6/9 may not be enough, 14 is a good number.

Blondie70 and DEADEYE 1 like this.
  10. oO_Rogue_Oo

oO_Rogue_Oo Distinguished Poster

I carry a semi-auto and have for MANY years but I graduated from carrying a revolver and would be more than comfortable with carrying a revolver today. The reason I carry a semi-auto is not because of ammo capacity or faster reloads etc; it is simply because semi-autos tend to be just a little thinner and so easier to conceal than a revolver.

11. rigrat

rigrat Mr. Sunshine

14 may not be enough.

DEADEYE 1 and Lefty2Guns like this.
  12. FirstShirt

FirstShirt Full Poster

Being an old retired Army man who was lucky enough to be trained properly on the 1911 I have an affinity for Pistols. My daily CCW is a Springfield-Armory XDs 3.3 .45 ACP

13. 1adam12

1adam12 Active Member

Thank you for all of your replies and votes. As I expected, semi auto won out. Now I will say why I prefer a revolver over a semi auto. I like semi autos for home defense but for Conceal carry for me a revolver wins out.
    Reason #1
    Most self defense shootings take place within 10 to 15 feet. If a bad guy is wanting to get to me, he is most likely going to be coming pretty fast. By the time I draw and fire, I will only have time to get 4 or 5 shots off before he is on top of me. If I haven't stopped him by then, I can't stick a semi auto in his gut and get it to fire because it will push it out of battery.
    Reason #2
    If by chance, he is still attacking me after I have shot him 4 or 5 times and he is still attacking, he then has the opportunity to take my firearm and if I have 10 cartridges left, he now has 10 to put in me or my family.
    Reason #3
    Revolvers are less likely to misfire and/or jam.
    Reason #4
    I can, if needed, fire my revolver from a pocket more reliably. (No I have never tried this, but it does makes sense).
    These are 4 of the reasons why I prefer a revolver with speed strips for extra capacity.

DEADEYE 1 and phillipd like this.
  14. GunnyGene

GunnyGene Distinguished Poster

RE: your Reason #4. You could fire it from your pocket, but unless your wearing fireproof underwear I wouldn't advise it. :wut:

Blondie70, maxhush, DEADEYE 1 and 2 others like this.
  15. 1adam12

1adam12 Active Member

Definitely not my first choice. But I do like my bullet proof underwear.

Blondie70 and phillipd like this.
  16. GunnyGene

Ever see this video? :)

17. phillipd

phillipd Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

columbus
    Haven't seen the video, but I've seen a thumb bone. Way back when I was a wee lad, Uncle Mike got a new 3 screw Ruger SBH .44 mag. Uncle Grover(no relation, but we all called him Uncle) had a sawed off 3 or 4" 12 gauge sxs double with a pecan knot as a stock. Overall length was 6-7". They got into an argument over which one kicked worse. Uncle Mike was/is a huge individual and shot the sawed off with no trouble. Uncle Grover had always shot 1911 handguns and had never shot any big revolvers and held it just like in the video. He didn't blow his whole thumb off, but it did split it to the bone and he ended up having the last joint amputated. That was approx 40 years ago and I remember it like it was yesterday. They wouldn't let me shoot either one. I sure wish I knew what happened to that sawed off 12 gauge.

Blondie70 likes this.
  18. DEADEYE 1

DEADEYE 1 Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

I once heard of a guy that was shooting a 45 auto with his buddy. The guy,s wife was a petite young woman and wanted to shoot the 45. The guy told me that the 45 recoiled and flew in the air to the ground over her head. I know a guy that I went to school with. He had a bad habit of putting his shotguns barrel on his toe area of his boot when resting. You guessed it, he blew one of his toes off when rabbit hunting.

19. GunnyGene

Yep, a 20,000+ psi jet of super heated (~ 2500F ?) gas is not something to be ignored. Sorry about your uncle Grover.

20. tonoavail

tonoavail Distinguished Poster

i started recently carrying a ruger sp101 iwb and have found that it conforms very naturally to the shape of the body. also the power of the 357 mag is a major plus if you choose that caliber

Blondie70 and 1adam12 like this.