Mississippi Gun Owners banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to pick up a new quality revolver for around $300 dollars. Since I am not familiar with revolvers and I usually go with the sage advice that I receive here, what would be your recommendations? Preferable something in .38 special.

Thanks

·
MSGO Court Jester
39,360 Posts
For carry, plinking? It makes a difference.

Reactions: Mesquite

·
Premium Member
27,266 Posts
You said new, but didn't specify caliber (just .38 preferred), capacity, hammerless or not, or barrel length, etc. so ….

I don't own any revolvers, but … (so watch out now!):

But if I did, it would be one of these -- from my revolver wish list:

Ruger SP101 9MM 2.25 inch Barrel Stainless with Steel Fixed Sights
Ruger SP101 Standard Stainless .357 Mag 3.1-inch 5Rds

You can get the Taurus versions for less, and within/close to your budget, but there are many Taurus hates on this forum:

Taurus 905 9mm 2 inch Stainless Fixed Sights 5rd
Taurus 617 357 mag 2 inch Stainless Fixed Sights 7rd
Taurus 856 Standard Stainless .38 SPL 2-inch 6Rds

Smith & Wesson 642 Airweight Centennial .38 Special 1.9" Barrel 5 RDs Stainless Steel

JMO.

ETA: Shop around, online and storefront. Go to a range or gun show and handle some.

·
Super Moderator
8,043 Posts
My suggestion . . . forget about "new", and go with a S&W LEO trade-in. Often these were carried more than shot, and in excellent condition.

·
Registered
16,105 Posts
My only advise would be to not buy on-line. You need to get your hands wrapped around the short list of possibles you might find on-line, then take that list to your local gunshop and get hands on with them. Shoot the model(s) if they have a on-site range & rental gun(s) in that model. Keep your fingers behind the front of the cylinder to avoid serious burn injury.

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
The terms "Quality" "Revolver" and "low price" generally don't go together. Simply put, revolvers are far more complex than autos and prices reflect that - for both new and used. For $300, you are going to have to sacrifice something. Personally, I'd look to pony up a little more and buy a good used revolver.

·
Registered
9,622 Posts
You're probably going to have to go to Rossi or Taurus to stay near your price range in a new gun; if you shop around a bit you might find a good S&W 4" Mod. 10 or a well-used (on the outside) Mod. 15 with a good bore that hasn't been shot that much in that price range. Look especially hard at police trade-in guns...they often are carried a lot and shot very little.

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
I really like my Ruger LCRx in .38sp. That might be a tad above your price range. The Taurus Model 85 is a decent one.

Both have an exposed hammers. When cocked, the trigger is pretty light.

The Ruger LCR is essentially the same gun but no exposed hammer.

if you buy .357, I believe you can shoot either .357 or .38.

·
Registered
16,105 Posts
One other thing: When you do go shopping, take a set of feeler gauges with you and check the cylinder to barrel gap with the hammer cocked and the cylinder pushed all the way back. .002 - .003 is good, and anything over .004 should be rejected.

The gaps on both my Rugers (Blackhawk & LCR) is a loose .002" .

1 - 20 of 32 Posts