Mississippi Gun Owners banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Morning guys,
What your opinion on a rifle for a 8 year old boy in a youth model. He’s having a hard time on a ruger American because of length of pull , of course he should. He’s not worried about recoil just don’t know my youth models that are out there.
Thanks

· Administrator
13,574 Posts
Morning guys,
What your opinion on a rifle for a 8 year old boy in a youth model. He’s having a hard time on a ruger American because of length of pull , of course he should. He’s not worried about recoil just don’t know my youth models that are out there.
Thanks
Buy a youth stock for the ruger.

· Morte
4,850 Posts
Depending on where you are at, I have access to a Model 7 with fluted barrel, and a 700 youth model, both in .243, that he can handle and shoot.

· μολὼν λαβέ
42,362 Posts
Reactions: 2A_1791

· Registered
1,420 Posts
As it's been mentioned buying the youth stock for the American is probably the easiest and cheapest alternative. Outside of that, plenty of youth rifle options. Savage makes plenty for the Axis series, Mossberg Patriot rifles in Bantam stocks for youths, of course Ruger offers factory youth builds too. The Savage and Mossbergs would probably be the cheapest factory options to buy outside of getting the above mentioned stock.

Price was you can expect around $379-449 or so.

· Registered
457 Posts
AR carbine platform in 7.62x39, 6.5 Grendel, or 6.8 SPC. 7.62 ammunition is easiest to locate and has minimum recoil. It's definitely enough cartridge to take any game in the South East. Depending on if you already have an AR, all that is needed is an upper, a couple of magazines, and some kind of optic. If you are budget minded, you can be in business for under 5 bills.

· Gatekeeper to my corner of Hell.
27,193 Posts
Ruger doesn't have a "youth" model listed on their website. The compact is the closest to other youth models with 12.5 LOP

· Registered
94 Posts
Just to aid you in looking for a youth stock, below are some measurements that might help your decision. All are for .22 rifles. All measurements are from the front of the trigger blade to the center of the butt. If you have your child bend his arm at the elbow into a right angle, then measure from the inside of the elbow (against the bicep) to the crooked trigger finger, it'll give you some idea of what length stock will fit your child. The Ruger 10/22 has the most stock options so that has been my concentration.

AR15-type chassis for the 10/22 (Blackhawk Axiom - Buy Knoxx® Axiom R/F Ruger® 10/22® Rifle Stock And More | Blackhawk) with adjustable stock: 10 1/4 inches up to 13 1/2 inches.

Crickett rifle, by Keystone Arms: The Savage Rascal is very similar but with a better trigger - 11 1/4 inches. The Henry Mini Bolt is also very similar (and I like the looks of the bolt handle) Mini Bolt Youth | Henry Repeating Arms - 11 1/2 inches

Brownells 10/22 youth stock https://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/stock-parts/rifle-stocks/ruger-10-22-raised-youth-stock-sporter-prod97233.aspx or https://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/stock-parts/rifle-stocks/ruger-10-22-standard-youth-stock-sporter-prod16635.aspx : 11 5/8 inches.

Hogue/Volquartsen Youth, This is a discontinued item but can be occasionally found on eBay. Description at Hogue Rubber OverMolded Youth Stock (12 Length of Pull) Ruger 10/22: 12 inches.

CZ 457 Scout: 12 1/4 inches:

Magpul X22 Hunter stock for the 10/22 https://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/stock-parts/rifle-stocks/ruger-10-22-hunter-x-22-stock-adjustable-prod79484.aspx : 12 1/2 inches with plenty of spacers to get it up to 14 inches or so..

Ruger 10/22 "normal" carbine stock: 13 inches.

I had first purchased the Hunter X22 stock for my grandson but when the granddaughters came along I found I needed something a little shorter so found one of the Brownells stocks, and then eventually the Blackhawk Axiom. The grandkids also like the size of the CZ Scout and of the Crickett.

Hope this helps. Below, top to bottom (and I've tried to line up so that the triggers are all in the same position)
Magpul Hunter X22
Brownells 10/22 Youth
Crickett (by Keystone Arms)
Standard 10/22 carbine
CZ 457 Scout
Hogue/Volquartsen 10/22 Youth (with a trainer/laser barrel mounted)
Blackhawk Axiom

Wood Tool Gun accessory Auto part Metal
Air gun Trigger Shotgun Gun barrel Gun accessory

· Registered
12,872 Posts
AR with collapsible stock. 7.62x39, 6.8spc, 350legend, etc. even 223 will work with a good bullet selection. No youth stock to buy, low recoil, sufficient power for whitetails and larger depending on the round chosen, and can be quickly adjusted for use by adults.

· Registered
415 Posts
That’s really cool never been a Ruger guy but that is really cool, my kids my be into Rugers.
From all of the good results I read about I recommended a Ruger American to my dad and brother. My brother got the ranch in 6.5 Grendel and my dad got the go wild in 6.5 creedmore. My brother got a free stock because it was for his kids. Both guns are very accurate and have definitely impressed me because of the low price. I am currently looking for one of the ranch rifles in 7.62x39.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts