Mississippi Gun Owners banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Thank a veteran.
5,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wood Auto part Household hardware Metal Cylinder

Liquid Drinkware Ammunition Battery Circuit component

Ok fellas I have a Ruger Precision Rimfire 22lr that has been acting goofy with accuracy issues. I’ve finally figured out my bx10 and 15 are apparently contributing factors. The 15 wiggles, but the 10 fits great. Why is it causing a deformity on the lead ?

·
μολὼν λαβέ
39,893 Posts
Looks to be dragging on the barrel ramp or maybe part of the magazine lip.

·
μολὼν λαβέ
39,893 Posts
Any ideas on how to remedy this other than a $300 ER Shaw barrel?
Not without looking at it up close in hand. Wouldn't buy a ER Shaw barrel either way. If I was dropping coin on a barrel I'd look for a Green Mountian barrel.

·
Gatekeeper to my corner of Hell.
23,786 Posts
Some of the RPR rifles have stocks with out of spec mag wells causing accuracy problems and feeding problems.
Lots of folks are also ditching the 15 for 10 round mags because of bad fit. Some put tape in front of magwell to make mags fit better.

·
Thank a veteran.
5,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Some of the RPR rifles have stocks with out of spec mag wells causing accuracy problems and feeding problems.
Lots of folks are also ditching the 15 for 10 round mags because of bad fit. Some put tape in front of magwell to make mags fit better.
I’ve seen the fixes on YouTube. I’m not a fan of jerry rigging stuff like that iin relation to a firearm. Ruger needs to step up and make it right.

·
Premium Member
3,132 Posts
Not without looking at it up close in hand. Wouldn't buy a ER Shaw barrel either way. If I was dropping coin on a barrel I'd look for a Green Mountian barrel.
I think rigrat is on the right track. would have to give it close examination to see the exact issue.
everyone has an opinion - from experience I agree with rigrat on the ER Shaw barrel. As for Green Mountain, I have used several of their barrels on muzzleloaders back in the day - a great product.

Depending on use and how much it is worth spending- fixing. - if I were going with a barrel, IMO, the top end barrels are Benchmark, Lilja and Kreiger in that order. Either of those would require fitting and chambering which would drive the cost way on up there

Reactions: Low Rider

·
Registered
236 Posts
I don't think that its a barrel/fit issue, its a magazine issue. If the 10 round BX magazines don't exibit that dragging, you've eliminated all other causes. Do the extended capacity mags fit sloppily in the mag well? Are you using not OEM (Ruger) magazines?

I'll be a stand up kind of guy, I'll take it off of your hands for say, $10? I'll even drive down to Lawrence County to retreive it!:D

·
Thank a veteran.
5,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Lol, I really hate to sell it bc I’ll feel defeated and wonder from now on what the issue was. It does the same thing with the factory 10 as it does with the Ruger bx15’s. The 10’s fit snug, but the 15 has way to much movement. It has me puzzled.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I've had mine for several years so I don't know if the manufacturing tolerances have changed, the vendors have gotten sloppy, or what, but mine doesn't exibit those traits.
Have you removed the lower receiver and lubricated the trigger group according to your owners manual?
Make sure that you've torqued the two bedding screws to 35 in-lbs. Too much and it could affect the fitment between the barrel and lower receiver.
Aircraft Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Font Aviation

·
Thank a veteran.
5,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've had mine for several years so I don't know if the manufacturing tolerances have changed, the vendors have gotten sloppy, or what, but mine doesn't exibit those traits.
Have you removed the lower receiver and lubricated the trigger group according to your owners manual?
Make sure that you've torqued the two bedding screws to 35 in-lbs. Too much and it could affect the fitment between the barrel and lower receiver.
View attachment 286755
Popular opinion is 35 was to much. I think the new ones have a footnote stating less. I’m a little scatterbrained this morning so I might be off. I’m going to work on it more this evening. I do appreciate the information and there’s no doubt quality control is becoming a thing of the past.

·
Gatekeeper to my corner of Hell.
23,786 Posts
Could always send it back to Ruger, they have replaced some out of spec stocks.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts