Ruger #1 rifles

Discussion in 'Firearms Gallery' started by Joe S., Apr 14, 2018.

1. Joe S.

Joe S. Distinguished Poster

Clinton
    I love single shot rifles. I’ve owned a handful of Handi Rifles through the years as well as a couple #1’s. Didn’t keep the #1’s because they were magnums and I just dont need magnums where I hunt so I’d send em down the road. But I’ve always loved em and wanted another, but in a rimmed cartridge. Unfortunately, there just havent been that many made in rimmed cartridges, at least rimmed cartridges I was interested in. But there was one. In 2010, they made a short run in 30-30, one of my favorite calibers. I’ve always said they should make it in 444 to give fans of that cartridge a great rifle like they did the 45/70. But nothing to date. But last year, they gave us something close, a 44 mag. A 444 fan could take that offering and make the rifle they won’t build, so I bought one of those too.

However, after shooting it, I’m not sure I would be any more happy with 444 over the 44 mag, so I’ll leave it alone for a year or two. Since I have the Marlin in 444, I can scratch that itch whenever I get ready.

The 44
    5F0544A9-2D40-4CD7-B66F-5C6160B61AFA.jpeg

The 30-30
    DD39A6B7-ED0A-4CA8-A3D2-B383D3EC1014.jpeg

Hrdnox, maxhush, jakeg823 and 10 others like this.
  2. cottonmouth

cottonmouth Distinguished Poster

I’m a single shot man myself. I have two No. 1’s, one in .458WM and one in 25-06. And I have a B78 in 45-70 and an 1885 in 7mm RM. They’re all great guns and shoot great, even the big .458!

J.B.

3. Joe S.

Clinton
    I’d love to have a high wall. Just not sure what caliber I’d want.

I saw the other day Uberti and Pietta makes a rolling block in 38-55, 30-30, and 357 magnum. That rifle would be fun in any of those calibers.

The next Ruger I get will hopefully be a #3 in 375 Winchester.

Jarhead5811, Mesquite and phillipd like this.
  4. phillipd

phillipd Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

columbus
    I've found 8 or 9 # 1's for a buddy of mine over the last few years and he's looking for 2 more. He doesn't care what caliber as long as they are the traditional forestock and not the Alexander Henry. He sends them to a smith in the Midwest and has them rebarrelled in mostly small bore rounds. Most are wild cat or obsolete rounds. They are all one hole rifles. He has more money than me.

5. Joe S.

Clinton
    Vans has had a custom on their rack forever. A VERY HEAVY barreled rifle in i think 7BR or something. I bet that barrel is 1.5” in diameter. I bet they’d sell it “cheap”. Seems like they had it marked 8/900 last time i saw it.

Jarhead5811, Mesquite and phillipd like this.
  6. phillipd

columbus
    I tried to buy it for my buddy a couple years ago. It had a nice thick coat of dust on it. They were asking about $1200. I pulled out 10 hunnert dollar bills and they said no.

7. Joe S.

Clinton
    It’s a heavy beast. It was there last time i was by there. May be off on the price but i cant imagine anyone paying $1200 for it for what it is. Unless they just want that rifle...

Mesquite, Quickeye and Jarhead5811 like this.
  8. Jarhead5811

Jarhead5811 Rational Anarchist MSGO Supporter

I love black rifles and have. Well, I have a few, but my Encore with sporter weight .30-‘06 barrel is my absolute favorite hunting rifle ever. I just can’t fathom why people want a bull barrel on that platform. It ruins the lightness that makes it awesome.

So, I want a #1 in .30-‘06 but I’d want a fairly light weight barrel and would prefer it if it didn’t weigh much more than my Encore. I figure I’ll get around to getting one, eventually.

Blondie70, 22lrfan and Joe S. like this.
  9. Joe S.

Clinton
    Dad has the same rifle you want. It is a nice one! Very “totable”!

10. DEADEYE 1

DEADEYE 1 Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

There is something special about the Ruger Number 1. Something that goes over the heads of many of us. I am now just getting mature enough to appreciate them.

maxhush, Mesquite, phillipd and 4 others like this.
  11. Blondie70

Blondie70 Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

I have a 1B in .243. A keeper.

Mesquite, phillipd and Joe S. like this.
  12. sharpshooter

sharpshooter Full Poster

Love the 1's. H&R Buffalo Classic for me!

phillipd, Joe S. and Blondie70 like this.
  13. MrClean

MrClean Distinguished Poster

I only have one Ruger #1, was my Dad's, iron sights in 30 naught 6. Love that thing.
    I'm always anxious to see what Joe posts.... because it always makes me want whatever it is that he is showing off. :)

Mesquite, phillipd, Blondie70 and 4 others like this.
  14. Joe S.

Clinton
    You just bein modest.

Mesquite, phillipd and Blondie70 like this.
  15. slickyboyboo

slickyboyboo Distinguished Poster

Clinton
    Love me some Ruger No 1s, I’ve got a 257 Bob, and a 300 WM, both red pad Rifles. The 300 WM is hands down the most accurate factory rifle that I’ve ever shot. It’s a consistent. 025” or less gun.

Mesquite, phillipd and Joe S. like this.
  16. phillipd

columbus
    Off the shelf they are very impressive, but with hand fit barrel, action, and trigger from a smith that works with them almost exclusively and handloads from a 40+ year reloader, they are bench rest competition capable

Mesquite likes this.
  17. maxhush

maxhush Distinguished Poster

NW MS
    No love for its' poor cousin, the #3 :(

Blondie70, osiek and Joe S. like this.
  18. slickyboyboo

slickyboyboo Distinguished Poster

Clinton
    This one has nothing done to it, handloads are the only thing I’ve done with it. That’s 5 shots at 100. Those are 1” squares.

[​IMG]

Blondie70, phillipd and Joe S. like this.
  19. Joe S.

Clinton
    I love em! I hope the next single shot i get will be the #3 in 375 Winchester.

22lrfan and maxhush like this.
  20. maxhush

maxhush Distinguished Poster

NW MS
    I had one in 375 Winchester a few decades ago. Bought it off a friend, it came with dies and ammo, I shot up all the ammo, then he wanted it back, so I sold it back to him sans the ammo (but included the spent brass).

Blondie70 and Joe S. like this.
  21. Joe S.

Clinton
    Of all the calibers the 3 has been offered in, that seems like perfect caliber for that gun.

22lrfan likes this.
  22. Xd357

Xd357 Moderator Staff Member

Bolton
    A little off to the left. Just kidding I just wish I could shoot a group like that.

phillipd likes this.