Mississippi Gun Owners banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ruger American in .308. Customer said his last shot of last deer season locked it up. No known reason. I poured penetrating oil down the Barrel and let it sit for a week before attempting to extract the fired case. A few taps on the Bolt Handle from a dead blow hammer and it popped out. Face of the Bolt was dirty, but no damage to Extractor or Ejector. The exterior of the brass was rough and pitted. No noticeable damage to the Primer or case mouth. Bore was dirty, so it all went into the sonic cleaner for a quick scrub. Then looked at the Bore & Chamber with the Borescope (any excuse to use my new Hawkeye Bore Scope). Chamber rusty & rough, bore looked good. Honed out the Chamber with a 400 grit FLEX-HONE, then finished it with an 800 grit. Back into the sonic cleaner, function check and test fired.

Vance Moore

Whynot Gunsmith Shop

Meridian, Mississippi

Facebook: Whynot Gunsmith Shop

Instagram: vance_gunsmith
Wood Floor Flooring Bumper Hardwood

Wood Flooring Floor Musical instrument Plucked string instruments

Wood Track Vehicle Window Railway

Automotive lighting Material property Gas Jewellery Musical instrument

Plant Cloud Sky Tree People in nature

Table Wood Kitchen appliance Kitchen Engineering

Green Bottle Cylinder Metal Fluid

Automotive tire Drinkware Wood Tin can Drink

·
Registered
273 Posts
I have that same gun in a .300 BLK and it had a rough cycle and bolt opening and closing until it had been shot 70-80 times. Now it is pretty smooth and works good. I dont think they spend any time on them at the factory trying to get the action smooth.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I too have a Ruger American Rifle in .308 I purchased in April 2013, sorry to say I haven't been anywhere to shot it. I have seen really good reviews of this rifle. I have a Leatherwood scope and folding bipod installed on it too.

Camera accessory Trigger Air gun Bicycle part Wood

·
Premium Member
Let's go shoot some, we dont want to wound anything.
7,538 Posts
Look at the primer how it is dented in further than normal. Wonder if this was a reload. I have owned a 7mm-08 Ruger American for about 7-8 years. No problems. I wonder if owner had never cleaned the chamber area. A lot of problems can be attributed to lack of proper cleaning and cheap ammo. Occasionally you will get a machine burr in chamber from production.

·
Premium Member
Let's go shoot some, we dont want to wound anything.
7,538 Posts
Yes and they are more accurate out of the box than some more expensive rifles. But as you say there can be flaws with anything robot or man made.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts