Mississippi Gun Owners banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· I’ve got one more silver dollar
1,308 Posts
One distinct difference is the bolt locks on the M77.
I own both and I’ve dropped rounds from the American due to bumping the bolt walking through the woods. But…. It has a threaded barrel

· Registered
1,192 Posts
Personally speaking Neither one Remington browning Winchester even savage I’ve owned a handful of Ruger bolt guns in my day I can honestly say there is not one in my stable to date (All due to them not shooting to my expectations..... that being said I’ve never owned their american line of rifles I hear great things about them but Ruger put a bad taste in my mouth with 5 different 77’s From 22 mag to 22 hornet to 270 win and 25-06 and a 308 the only way I would purchase another would be able to test fire it before purchase

· Registered
1,325 Posts
I'm biased towards wood and steel guns, so I'd say the M77. That being said, another thing the M77 has going for it is collector value/resale/trade. Rifles from the era it was built are often in demand by those seeking a more quality firearm over modern options. I've got nothing against the American series personally and in the times I've used them they have been good guns. So I will say if the goal is to be a hunting gun that will be seeing lots of use, the more modern American might just be the better gun. Plus, they usually have magazine conversions to things like AICS pattern magazines and sometimes even AR style mags.

· Gatekeeper to my corner of Hell.
26,869 Posts
I'm biased towards wood and steel guns, so I'd say the M77. That being said, another thing the M77 has going for it is collector value/resale/trade. Rifles from the era it was built are often in demand by those seeking a more quality firearm over modern options. I've got nothing against the American series personally and in the times I've used them they have been good guns. So I will say if the goal is to be a hunting gun that will be seeing lots of use, the more modern American might just be the better gun. Plus, they usually have magazine conversions to things like AICS pattern magazines and sometimes even AR style mags.
Can get Ruger American Predator from factory that take AICS/AR mags.

Reactions: DEADEYE 1

· Registered
1,325 Posts
Can get Ruger American Predator from factory that take AICS/AR mags.
I know you can get the AICS mags on the American Predator "Go Wild" camo models. AR mags I'm not 100% sure of others short of the Ranch models in things like .223/5.56, .300 Blackout, and .350 Legend. Though I'm sure other options exist as they did for my "Go Wild" .450 Bushmaster.

· Premium Member
Let's go shoot some, we dont want to wound anything.
7,601 Posts
Both are good rifles. I have owned and I own both tang safety and Bolt safety Ruger rifles for over 20 years. Killed around 30 deer with my stainless MK 2 308 and some with older 7mm-08 that I now have a new scope on and sighted in. But I have a Ruger American 7mm-08 that is very accurate. It is both Myself and my sons go to rifle that we can grab and go hunting at the last minute in the afternoon. Only fault I see with the American is that it is about a pound or more lighter, which I like but you need to concentrate on more for a free handed shot. If you are not biased, either are accurate plenty for deer hunting but the more expensive one will probably be more valuable down the road. I own several great brands of rifles but I am a little biased I guess and like the Ruger rifles just as much as my older Remington. This year I am field testing a Browning ;,on targets it is no better than my Ruger, we will see how it does on whitetail deer and hogs.

Reactions: 13Medic
1 - 10 of 10 Posts