Ruger Security 9 review

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by GunnyGene, Apr 14, 2018.

Tags:
  1. GunnyGene

GunnyGene Distinguished Poster

2. Cliff731

Cliff731 Danged ole' Hermit...

I am tempted... that's a very good price point for a Ruger 9mm!!! :101010::101010:

Mesquite and 94LEVERFAN like this.

3. Cliff731

Cliff731 Danged ole' Hermit...

And that was a very good review of the new Ruger Security 9 too... :)

Mesquite likes this.
  4. Jarhead5811

Jarhead5811 Rational Anarchist MSGO Supporter

Tim at the Military Arms Channel likes it and he is always brutally honest when he doesn’t like a gun.

Mesquite, 94LEVERFAN and Quickeye like this.
  5. rigrat

rigrat Semper Fi

Well I will give it to Ruger they make some ugly pistols.

6. Jarhead5811

True, not Taurus ugly, but pretty ugly.

94LEVERFAN, maxhush, melmerf and 2 others like this.
  7. rigrat

rigrat Semper Fi

LOL, 1st cousin to Taurus.

8. GunnyGene

:lol3:

Mesquite likes this.
  9. jakeg823

jakeg823 Distinguished Poster

Richland
    The SR series wasn’t bad looking. I think they fired their designer though and said “make us something even a Taurus owner wouldn’t buy!” That’s how the Ruger American pistols were born.

This thing is a work of art by comparison.

melmerf, Jarhead5811 and rigrat like this.
  10. GunnyGene

Watched it. He did mention something in passing early on. That this pistol, like many others, shoots to a different poi depending on the ammo used. In this video using 124gr ball and 115 gr hp there was a significant change. Reason I mention this is that a lot of new shooters expect every bullet, regardless of configuration, brand, etc. to shoot the same. So they buy cheap range ammo to practice with, adjust their poa/sights for that ammo, and then are surprised & complain when their 147gr Gold Dots or other carry ammo shoots completely differently.

I know many of us preach practice with what you carry, but it seems to fall on deaf ears a lot. Part of it is cost, but I've always preferred quality practice over quantity of lead downrange. :)

Mesquite, jakeg823, Cliff731 and 2 others like this.
  11. jakeg823

Richland
    In my experience most people(new/inexperienced shooters at least) buying a $300 pistol are going to balk at the price for 147gr Gold Dots, or any other high quality defensive round.

And God help you when you tell them an extra magazine will cost them $30+ too.

Mesquite likes this.
  12. GunnyGene

Just like a car. Cost of ownership often outstrips the purchase price. I think of ammo the same way I think about gas for the car. :)

And let's not forget the other essentials - holster(s), belt(s), permits, training, safety stuff, targets, range fees, cleaning stuff, etc., although some of that won't be needed depending on the individual.

Mesquite and jakeg823 like this.
  13. jakeg823

Richland
    I do disagree on shooting nothing but your carry ammo though. It’s feasible for a reloader, but not the average shooter. I do shoot enough of my carry ammo to make sure it functions and that the POA/POI is as it should be, but there’s no way in the world I could afford to shoot nothing but Federal HSTs or any of the other stuff exclusively. More rounds down range is more important for me.

I don’t just buy garbage ammo though either.

Like you said though, the cost of the gun is nothing in comparison to everything else that goes into it.

14. GunnyGene

But what?

Anyway, a thought just occurred to me. Leasing cars is popular. I wonder if there might be a market, and way to lease a gun? :hmm:

Jarhead5811 likes this.
  15. jakeg823

Richland
    I hit the post reply button too early. Refresh the page.

Jarhead5811 likes this.
  16. GunnyGene

Got it. Good point, and perhaps all that is needed is to explain that to someone starting out. I've never heard a sales clerk even mention it to any prospective buyer however, so that might be something that a shop would do well to volunteer, along with some other useful info a new shooter should know about. Not everything is in the user manual (assuming the buyer even bothers to read it).

jakeg823 and Jarhead5811 like this.
  17. Jarhead5811

Cost, and availability, of magazines, holsters, and other accessories is the biggest upside to owning Glocks IMO. It’s not that they are really anything special, otherwise. As far as pistols go a, Glock is almost like the AR platform.

22lrfan and jakeg823 like this.
  18. jakeg823

Richland
    Exactly. When I was doing it, it didn’t matter if I sold 10 pistols a week or 10,000, my check was the same, so rather than rush new buyers I tried to give them as much info as I could upfront, and in most cases recommended they do more research on their own AND take a beginners course BEFORE making the purchase. Some took the advice, some didn’t. Didn’t matter to me either way. The longer they took, the less time I had to spend on the floor doing actual work.

The only exception was when people came in on Black Friday or the like and wanted to look at 100 different guns and mull it over while keeping me from helping the 50 other people waiting. They never understood that Black Friday is not the day to make a major life decision just so you can save $20.

Jarhead5811 and GunnyGene like this.
  19. maxhush

maxhush Distinguished Poster

NW MS
    A tad more aerodynamically streamlined and it'd be new Remington pistol ugly! :lol6:

(Gotta wonder why Remington seems to fret so about their pistols being streamlined and aerodynamic...maybe they want them to hit the ground faster when dropped?)

Last edited: Apr 20, 2018
    2DARK2C, jakeg823 and Jarhead5811 like this.
  20. 2DARK2C

2DARK2C Distinguished Poster

they sink to bottom of waterway quicker. or maybe tucked inside sweatpants feels better when the pistol is shaped like a squirtgun...

maxhush, Quickeye and Jarhead5811 like this.