close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Ruger Security Six value

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by Brother_Love, Jan 8, 2018.

1. Brother_Love

Brother_Love Distinguished Poster

Is a blued Security Six that is about 85-90% worth $300? No box or original grips.
    Thanks

DEADEYE 1 and Mesquite like this.
  2. ThatGuy

ThatGuy I could only pick one, extra money, or guns.

3. 22lrfan

22lrfan Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

4. Brother_Love

Brother_Love Distinguished Poster

Thanks, I'm gonna get it. I've been a Security Six fan ever since they came out.

maxhush, 94LEVERFAN, Cliff731 and 2 others like this.
  5. 22lrfan

22lrfan Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

Last Security Six I saw in a pawn shop was well over $400.

maxhush, Cliff731 and ThatGuy like this.
  6. TwangBanger

TwangBanger Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

I don't blame you. I have a Service Six (same gun but with fixed sights), and it's the most inherently accurate 4" revolver I have. It out-groups my S&W model 10, model 65 and Rossi model 851.

94LEVERFAN and Cliff731 like this.
  7. rigrat

rigrat Semper Fi

I think so, but I also think Ruger was stupid for dropping it. Instead of bringing back all these stupid looking pistols maybe they need to bring this Six's back as a economy revolver for them priced just under $400. Bet they would be their best seller.
    I want a Speed Six 2", 357mag myself. I have a Sec 6 4" 357 already.

maxhush and ThatGuy like this.
  8. ThatGuy

ThatGuy I could only pick one, extra money, or guns.

I wouldn't mind owning a speed six myself.

maxhush and rigrat like this.
  9. SLBcmtr

SLBcmtr Got to get to the cabin

10. wesm

wesm Distinguished Poster

Clinton
    Absolutely. I have two Security Sixes, and I don't know what it would take for me to part with either one but it for sure wouldn't be less than $500.

I love the Bicentennial models. :)

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

maxhush and 94LEVERFAN like this.
  11. 2DARK2C

2DARK2C Distinguished Poster

12. wesm

wesm Distinguished Poster

Clinton
    I think if Ruger brought them back, they could position them higher than as an economy revolver. With Colt out of the revolver game and S&W's revolver quality dropping, Ruger could make a few changes to the trigger pieces, polish a few surfaces, and really seize a lot of market share.

They originally dropped the Sec Six lines saying they never made Ruger money, so I doubt they'd bring them back as an economy model.

It's a shame, I like them a lot better than the GP100s.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

13. 2DARK2C

2DARK2C Distinguished Poster

mine is still off getting new shoes... atleast 1 critter had to die for these :)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

94LEVERFAN, rigrat, fordpkup and 3 others like this.
  14. rigrat

rigrat Semper Fi

And if they brought them back at a higher price point say the same as the GP and the SP's they wouldn't do very good. Thats the problem with Ruger products right now especially revolvers they are over priced. High price-low sales, low price- high sales.

maxhush likes this.
  15. oldwelder

oldwelder Distinguished Poster

I have a Ruger Security Six Stainless Steel 6" barrel with factory target grips made in 1979, it's one of my favorite shooting wheel guns, I also have a GP100 Stainless Steel 6" barrel which I like to shoot too but it's just a little front heavy like a S&W 686, all three are great guns, I guess I just like the Security Six the best just me.

22lrfan, wesm and rigrat like this.
  16. Cliff731

Cliff731 Danged ole' Hermit...

I've always liked the Security/Speed Six/Service Six trio... :)

However... did not Ruger make a claim that the GP-100 as replaced these was a "stronger" and "better" design?

We can debate the merits of one over the other all day long... but I doubt Ruger would bring this discontinued revolver line back.

They would rather sell you a GP-100.

Corporate "think" going on there... Just saying. o_O

maxhush likes this.
  17. DEADEYE 1

DEADEYE 1 Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

I would like to have a set of those Stag grips. Kind of like comparing a S&W 66 to the 686.Yep my Redhawk would look fine with those stag grips.
    My personal feelings are that full lug barrels give a little edge when shooting at a longer distance. But if the revolver feels good in your hand, I can get on target faster. Both are fine guns. Almost any classic handgun should bring 300 in good solid condition.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
    Cliff731, maxhush and 22lrfan like this.
  18. Leopardcurdog

Leopardcurdog Distinguished Poster

I have one with original grips, and 90%, and it would take more then $300 to get it, so yes, it is worth that in my opinion.

Cliff731 and maxhush like this.
  19. BLK RIFLE

BLK RIFLE Distinguished Poster

Well worth it. When I was on Hinds SO my first carry was a Security Six. Had Walter Birdsong do it in black Teflon for me and it still looks new. Just gave it to my grandson for is birthday

Cliff731 and rigrat like this.