Mississippi Gun Owners banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a single six from a buddy and it has no half cock do ya'll know if any single sixs were made with out the half cock ? I thought it was broke , but I heard that some ruger .22s were made with no half cock . It shoots fine but when you load it you have to hold the hammer back with your thumb. It's a single 6 new model. Also my FIL has an old one that doesn't have the transfer bar are these worth more ?

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
opening the loading gate and leaving the hammer down should free up the cylinder to load and unload it. All New Model Ruger SA revolvers work this way, without a half cock notch.

·
Don't let "good enough" be the enemy of perfect.
10,798 Posts
Yeah, new model has no half cock.

But...when you open the gate you can only turn the cylinder in one direction. So if you pass a hole, you have to go all the way back around.

I have the New Model Hunter Single Six .22/.22 magnum in stainless. It's pretty but I cannot see the front sight. I installed a 2x scope but toook it off because it just looked weird. Eventually I painted the front sight red with nail polish.

I installed a free spin pawl and now I can go in either direction with the cylinder. But it was not easy: the instructions were AWFUL and VERY poor copy of a copy reduced to save paper.

Even after I was able to read the instructions, they were not easy to follow.

And I had to do some grinding to make it stay cocked after the installation.

You can also buy an aftermarket hammer that gives you a half cock position.

And Ruger calls this progress. :(

1 - 3 of 3 Posts