Mississippi Gun Owners banner

61 - 80 of 95 Posts

·
Danged ole' Hermit...
13,476 Posts
Cliff I may try later on closer to the cut off date. I'll see what it is. I can sell a couple teeth and maybe that would help me loose some weight!!
Randy... that sounds like a good strategy to me... wait it out and leave your options open on future bidding... :)

FWIW, bids made during this period with 12 days yet remaining often represent irresistible "targets" for someone else to bid against... just my opinion there... :(

Too, such bids made now often escalate the final selling price... and you never know just "who" might be lurking out there and waiting to toss a seriously high and "Hail Mary" type bid on it in the final few minutes... e.g. - those die hard bona fide S&W collector types with very deep pockets who are looking to plug a hole in their already extensive collection!

I'm gonna stick my neck out on this one and predict a final gavel selling price somewhere north of $2k on this apparently rare and primo S&W Chief's Special Target Model... :cool:

Reactions: 22lrfan and para40

·
Registered
9,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
Strange that when you put in $1400 and it said you arent the high bidder that it is still showing $1225. It should show the bid that beat the $1400 bid. Weird.

·
Premium Member
8,080 Posts
Joe this is the way they work the bids up. I put my bid. It will go up to that an notify me if it's not high bid anymore. You may be 2 or 3 hundred over the actual bid. They will only show a portion of what you bid. Again this is how they get this bids up!

·
Registered
10,523 Posts
You guys need to go lust after the Model 27-2 that looks to have a 5" barrel over in the "Good Deals" thread if you haven't already. That Model 50 may well double in bid before the auction closes (stranger things have happened on GB). There are peeps that need one to finish out their J frame collections, or whatever, not to mention the investment geeks, and there just weren't that many of 'em made.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Yes Sir! It does not always show the highest bid. Put in $1400 and see what it tells you!
This guy is high bidder: rayluca86 A+(191) at $1225, if you had bid $1400 that bid would be high bid and show unless the other guy bid the same amount first.
Check and make sure your bid went through, you should have a confirmation email from Gunbroker.
Gunbroker also has a 15 minute rule that will keep you from being “sniped” if you really want something.

All of our auctions use the 15 Minute Rule: if someone places a bid on an item within 15 minutes of the scheduled closing time, the auction is automatically extended until there have been no bids placed for 15 minutes.
The below rule and a bottle of bourbon can kill your checking account,
The purpose for the 15 Minute Rule is to prevent sniping and offer all users the opportunity to bid.

The 15 minute rule works like this:

• When the seller lists an item, he specifies the number of days the auction will run.
  • The auction listing then displays the scheduled closing time for the auction.
  • If there is bidding activity on the auction within 15 minutes of the scheduled close, the auction is automatically extended until there have been no bids placed within 15 minutes.
  • After 15 minutes with no bidding activity, the auction closes.
The 15 Minute Rule allows all bidders an equal opportunity to place their best bid, and the seller can be assured he has received maximum value for the item.

·
Premium Member
8,080 Posts
I know I bid 1400! I know the screen popped up that said "Your Bid Doesn't Match the High Bid"! I got the email from Gunbroker. This is the last post I'll put on this thread! I'm not going to start screen shooting everything I do and post on here for it to be justified. Cliff I'll talk to you later.

·
MSGO Court Jester
39,401 Posts
Cliff I may try later on closer to the cut off date. I'll see what it is. I can sell a couple teeth and maybe that would help me loose some weight!!
Randy, I can tell you it might slow you down but it won't help with weight loss. I haven't lost another tooth in about six years but I've gained a lot. :(

·
Registered
9,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
Hey Randy
Not tryin to argue with ya. Just sayin if you really want it at $1400 it might be worth double checking. It should have bid it up to at least $1405/1410 if you completed the bid and were not the highest.

Here is what the auctions i bid on looks like when i go to them.

ABBB28F2-D346-42B3-A0DC-DDBD799CCB9C.png

And under your “My bidding”, it should look like this, with your max bid in red.

FED679EB-FBB3-4DD1-9A7C-676B7C30D233.png

Just hate to see ya not get it if ya really want it because something glitched on their end.

·
Danged ole' Hermit...
13,476 Posts
Hey Randy
Not tryin to argue with ya. Just sayin if you really want it at $1400 it might be worth double checking. It should have bid it up to at least $1405/1410 if you completed the bid and were not the highest.

Here is what the auctions i bid on looks like when i go to them.

View attachment 94277

And under your “My bidding”, it should look like this, with your max bid in red.

View attachment 94279

Just hate to see ya not get it if ya really want it because something glitched on their end.
Joe S.,

I believe GB's bidding system for proxy bids worked just as GB intended in Randy's case. Just saying, you know... :)

(Randy did have a confirmation from GB of his bid being tendered and accepted.)

With 12 days or so to go yet, the smart and savvy money would be on standing down from active bidding until it nears the end... and that's for anyone who might decide to pursue this S&W J-frame revolver!!! :cool:

·
Registered
512 Posts
Joe S.,

I believe GB's bidding system for proxy bids worked just as GB intended in Randy's case. Just saying, you know... :)

(Randy did have a confirmation from GB of his bid being tendered and accepted.)

With 12 days or so to go yet, the smart and savvy money would be on standing down from active bidding until it nears the end... and that's for anyone who might decide to pursue this S&W J-frame revolver!!! :cool:
That ain’t the way Gunbroker bidding works,
Here is a description from Gunbroker of how it works,
AutoBid

GB Help
Updated 2 days ago
Follow

AutoBid (also known as a "proxy bid") is a feature in our auction which automatically bids on your behalf the least amount it can to win the auction.

AutoBid works like this:

• You enter the maximum amount you are willing to pay for the item in the bid amount field when placing a bid.
  • AutoBid then bids on your behalf, and always bids the least it can to win the auction. Because AutoBid bids the least it can to win, your posted bid can be lower than your entered bid.
  • If you are outbid, AutoBid incrementally raises your bid, but it never bids more than your Maximum Bid.
Learn more about Bid Increments.

Reserve Price auctions:

In a Reserve Price auction, AutoBid attempts to post a bid which meets the seller's Reserve Price, but it never bids more than your maximum bid.

An example of how AutoBid works:

1. The current bid for an item is $15.00. Ronnie is the high bidder, and has placed a maximum bid of $20.00 on the item. His maximum bid is kept secret from the other bidders.

2. Jack then places a maximum bid of $25.00, and becomes the high bidder.

3. AutoBid raises Ronnie's bid to his maximum of $20.00, but because Jack's maximum bid is higher, Jack's bid is raised to $21.00, and he becomes the high bidder.

4. We notify Ronnie he has been outbid. He must now place another bid, or Jack wins the item.
We encourage you to bid the most you are willing to pay for an item.

And the link if it helps.

Should be so easy even a caveman can do it............

·
Danged ole' Hermit...
13,476 Posts
That ain’t the way Gunbroker bidding works,
Here is a description from Gunbroker of how it works,
AutoBid

GB Help
Updated 2 days ago
Follow

AutoBid (also known as a "proxy bid") is a feature in our auction which automatically bids on your behalf the least amount it can to win the auction.

AutoBid works like this:

• You enter the maximum amount you are willing to pay for the item in the bid amount field when placing a bid.
  • AutoBid then bids on your behalf, and always bids the least it can to win the auction. Because AutoBid bids the least it can to win, your posted bid can be lower than your entered bid.
  • If you are outbid, AutoBid incrementally raises your bid, but it never bids more than your Maximum Bid.
Learn more about Bid Increments.

Reserve Price auctions:

In a Reserve Price auction, AutoBid attempts to post a bid which meets the seller's Reserve Price, but it never bids more than your maximum bid.

An example of how AutoBid works:

1. The current bid for an item is $15.00. Ronnie is the high bidder, and has placed a maximum bid of $20.00 on the item. His maximum bid is kept secret from the other bidders.

2. Jack then places a maximum bid of $25.00, and becomes the high bidder.

3. AutoBid raises Ronnie's bid to his maximum of $20.00, but because Jack's maximum bid is higher, Jack's bid is raised to $21.00, and he becomes the high bidder.

4. We notify Ronnie he has been outbid. He must now place another bid, or Jack wins the item.
We encourage you to bid the most you are willing to pay for an item.

And the link if it helps.

Should be so easy even a caveman can do it............

Bill... I'm still of the opinion that GB did exactly as it always does in such bidding situations... and Randy's bids were accepted.

·
Registered
512 Posts
If i had bid $1400 and the high bid was $175 lower than that I’d contact Gunbroker. Been buying and selling on Gunbroker for about 8 years and I’ve never seen that.

·
Danged ole' Hermit...
13,476 Posts
If i had bid $1400 and the high bid was $175 lower than that I’d contact Gunbroker. Been buying and selling on Gunbroker for about 8 years and I’ve never seen that.
Bill... evidently there was an existing higher proxy bid already on this S&W when Randy tendered his last bid, which did not exceed the maximum amount of that said proxy bid. That's my understanding. I'm looking at the bid history and the date/time stamps therein.

·
Registered
9,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #74 (Edited)
Thats the thing yall arent getting Cliff. If Randy’s $1400 bid had been completed, and the other guy had bid $2000, then the price would have been bid to $1405, and Randy would have been shown that he wasnt the highest bidder. If his $1400 bid had taken and the last guy had only bid $1225, then Randy would be the high bidder and the price would be $1230...

If the error read, bid doesnt match the high bid, he may have entered $140 (missed the last 0). If he had been outbid, the message would have read, sorry, your bid isnt the highest bid, or similar.

Heck, if he bid $1400, go in there and enter $1300 and see what it does. Either you will be high bidder or it will bump it to $1305. That’s just how it works.

That’s why i said I’d look into it if I were him if he really wants it for up to $1400. Something glitched. It doesnt matter to me if he re-bids or not but I’d hate for him to be under the impression he went up to $1400 and the gun sell for $1225 to someone else...

Not that it will. I still say that one will bring a lot.

·
Registered
512 Posts
After the auction is over it’ll be easy to tell, just look at the bidding history as it will show all the bids.

·
Registered
9,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
The only other explanation I can come up with is that they saw you had no feedback and blocked you but i would think it would have told you.

Usually a phone call or email will clear that up. They just want to know you arent just a troll running up the auctions.

·
Danged ole' Hermit...
13,476 Posts
Thats the thing yall arent getting Cliff. If Randy’s $1400 bid had been completed, and the other guy had bid $2000, then the price would have been bid to $1405, and Randy would have been shown that he wasnt the highest bidder. If his $1400 bid had taken and the last guy had only bid $1225, then Randy would be the high bidder and the price would be $1230...

If the error read, bid doesnt match the high bid, he may have entered $140 (missed the last 0). If he had been outbid, the message would have read, sorry, your bid isnt the highest bid, or similar.

Heck, if he bid $1400, go in there and enter $1300 and see what it does. Either you will be high bidder or it will bump it to $1305. That’s just how it works.

That’s why i said I’d look into it if I were him if he really wants it for up to $1400. Something glitched. It doesnt matter to me if he re-bids or not but I’d hate for him to be under the impression he went up to $1400 and the gun sell for $1225...

Not that it will. I still say that one will bring a lot.
After the auction is over it’ll be easy to tell, just look at the bidding history as it will show all the bids.
Joe... Randy seemed to be very confident that his bid was accepted and he tendered the exact amount he wanted to. However, he's gone "quiet" on this thread... and while I still believe the GB bidding system worked exactly as it should... Bill's response to wait and see the actual bids is good and will show it all.

Reactions: Joe S.

·
Danged ole' Hermit...
13,476 Posts
$1325 if you still want it at $1400
I'm not so sure that amount would "take" it. I suspect it will need to be much higher... and FWIW, one of our esteemed MSGO members is currently the high bidder on this item... :)

Reactions: maxhush
61 - 80 of 95 Posts