Mississippi Gun Owners banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Rational Anarchist
14,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I picked this up years ago with intentions to use it as a refinishing project. It had rust all over it but the chambers and barrel were free of pitting. So, I coated it in oil, stuck it in the safe, and forgot I had it. Earlier today I found it and though it would be a decent snake gun for my wife being it’s lighter than our .357 but seeing that the firing pin was actually on the hammer made me wonder if it’s drop safe with all chambers loaded.
F3C4DF4D-327F-4223-B573-A48480DC59F3.jpeg
8DEEC27C-45F2-42E1-A604-4912780D1C53.jpeg
E8EA4745-6E4A-4B85-843A-F108BE366953.jpeg

·
Premium Member
13,445 Posts
Yes it has a hammer block. I've never seen any type of warning about the newer S&W's.

·
Danged ole' Hermit...
13,364 Posts
Jarhead... I've never seen anyone carrying a S&W double action revolver with less than all the cylinder chambers loaded. Just saying.

I do believe 22lrfan is "spot on"... :101010:

·
Rational Anarchist
14,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Jarhead... I've never seen anyone carrying a S&W double action revolver with less than all the cylinder chambers loaded. Just saying.

I do believe 22lrfan is "spot on"... :101010:
I was thinking that was the case but I’ve never had a revolver that had the firing pin on the trigger and I had no idea how old this thing was.

·
Premium Member
13,445 Posts
Here's a photo of a typical S&W action. The arrow points to the hammer block.

2hrn4uo.jpg

·
I could only pick one, extra money, or guns.
4,437 Posts
Load it, drop the hammer, and thwack the spur with a piece of 2x4 or something while the hammer is down and that oughta tell you for sure, if it's not drop safe you won't have to hit it very hard.

·
Waffennarr
8,877 Posts
Yes it has a hammer block. I've never seen any type of warning about the newer S&W's.
If you dry fire it & then release the hammer, feel how it sets itself back. There is a block, as 22lr posted. Hammer sits back unless trigger is pulled. I would carry it any day with all cylinders loaded, dropping not a problem.

·
MSGO Court Jester
38,864 Posts
I've carried many different models of S&W revolvers over the years, always with a fully loaded cylinder, including a late 50s/early sixties model 10 that looked about like yours. Most except maybe very old ones have a hammer block safety which should prevent drop firing.

·
Gatekeeper to my corner of Hell.
20,796 Posts
S&W revolvers have had a hammer block since 1915, current version since 1945

·
Premium Member
6,207 Posts
I,ll pay you to let me tote it fully loaded for several years. I think that the trigger has to be pulled and it has to have the forward motion of swinging forward to hit the primer.
Take the pistol after unloading, close it, hold it up under a light or lamp, and try to
push the hammer forward while looking through the small space at the back of the cylinder. I think that you will see that the hammer mounted pin does not come forward
enough to strike the back of a loaded bullet. To my knowledge, the only pistols that you are advised to carry on an empty cylinder hole is on older Single Action Cowboy type revolvers. I have toted older revolvers for years such as this with no accidents.
The older Ruger single action guns, you are advised to carry on one empty round.
Also I have seen some older single action guns that could fire even if you just dropped the hammer half way. But I have not seen this on Smith and Wesson Guns. I am not afraid of it. But when dealing with anything man made, I suppose anything is possible.
Also on older Colt Sigle actions, you are advised to carry on a empty round.
You could take a 38 round without the bullet and with only the primer in and do all sorts of tests for fun.

Reactions: Jarhead5811

·
μολὼν λαβέ
36,575 Posts
4AC17A9B-6044-4E51-AC95-EB914F5AA2C0.jpeg
Perfectly safe to carry 6. It’s the cousin to mine that I made DA only. Great little revolvers also.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts