Mississippi Gun Owners banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If cost was the same, would you purchase for yourself the S&W Victory or one of the (many) Browning Buck Mark models? And why?

·
μολὼν λαβέ
37,117 Posts
Buck Mark, just like it better and they are (from everything I have read on them) very good pistols.

·
I could only pick one, extra money, or guns.
4,437 Posts
I'd buy a Ruger MK IV.
That being said I am the proud owner of a S&W Victory and I chose it over the buckmark solely because it's look appealed more to me it's also not too difficult to change the barrel if one were so inclined. I have not been so inclined.
But I'd seriously look into a MK IV.
I own both the victory and MK IV and have shot plenty buckmarks and i think the ruger has them both beat.

·
Registered
6,161 Posts
I'd opt for a Ruger MKII over both of these options
personally, especially the Competition Target Model,
many on the various Ruger oriented forums consider
the MKIIs as the culmination of Ruger's evolution of
the basic design, then the lawyers got involved after
Bill Ruger Sr. passed and immediately gave us the
jam o matic POS MKIII that they took over a decade
to even partially fix with the MKIV but they still couldn't
resist manipulating their customer base by retaining
the MKIII magazine release design even if they finally
got rid of that miserable loaded chamber indicator,
an answer to a question no one ever asked.

Of the two original choices, the Buckmark would be my
preference.

·
Registered
6,988 Posts
I’ve shot my SIL’s Buckmark several times. It’s a tack driver. Never had the opportunity to shoot the Victory. I’m a Smith guy so I doubt you could go wrong either way.

·
μολὼν λαβέ
37,117 Posts
Nothing wrong with the Ruger line have a MKIII , which I prefer over the MKII because of the MKII's heel mag release. THe MKIII I have I installed a trigger with pre and over travel adjustments. Accurate or more accurate than most rimfire rifles.

But still like the shape of the Buckmark over it and feel the Buckmark is probably as accurate.

·
Premium Member
1,264 Posts
S&W sights are a little different from the Buckmark from what I have seen so far. There is less daylight on the sides of the S&W front sight blade and this can help with accuracy. It also makes it harder to shoot faster. If you want a accurate pistol you can transition from one target to another with faster, the Buckmark is the way to go in my opinion. Slow fire you might have a slight edge with the S&W. I would think if you added optics to both it would come down to which one fit your hand better and had the best .22 ammo match for their particular pistol.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I own both guns you’ve asked about, so I feel somewhat qualified to answer. I’ve owned the Browning for a little over 15 years, the S&W a little over a year. Both are quality pistols and you’ll be happy with either one, but I prefer the S&W Victory.

The BuckMark has the better trigger out of the box, but that’s only temporary until I get around to the Victory. The Browning is more difficult for young shooters or ladies with limited strength to cock. The S&W controls are also a little easier to reach and operate. Neither of these are a huge deal for me, but certainly worth mentioning. The Smith just looks and feels a little more refined.

The S&W Victory has a wide range of high quality, aftermarket accessories by the likes of VQ and others not enjoyed by the Browning. The availability of high quality barrels and ease of replacement also give the nod to the S&W. Take down of the Victory is hands down much easier than the BuckMark and that’s important to me because a lot of my shooting is suppressed. I prefer the sights and over all feel of the S&W.

There are plenty of YouTube videos and reviews of both guns and I suggest you watch and read what others have to say. Again, you’ll be well served with either one, but my preference is the S&W.

·
Deplorable
2,154 Posts
The Browning is more difficult for young shooters or ladies with limited strength to cock.
Can't agree with this. None of mine are hard to rack. The safety is a bit stiff that is all tho. My daughter was ten when she got hers and had been shooting mine long before that. With no trouble. you won't get better reviews than MSGO either, nobody here is trying to sell a rim fire pistol on this thread. I don't think the S&W or the ruger are bad choices either.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Registered
10,551 Posts
If cost was the same, would you purchase for yourself the S&W Victory or one of the (many) Browning Buck Mark models? And why?
If it's in decent condition, the Victory all day every day as long as it isn't a .38S&W "converted" to .38 Special. Buckmarks (URX I believe) went on sale for around $200 last Christmas (from PSA), after the $75 rebate.

They aren't making any more Victorys, Buckmarks are continuing to be produced for the foreseeable future and there are very decent sales on them from time to time. I'd grab the S&W Victory now (see caveats mentioned above) and bide my time for the right deal on the Buckmark.

·
Gatekeeper to my corner of Hell.
21,164 Posts
The Browning is more difficult for young shooters or ladies with limited strength to cock.
Never found that to be the case with the Buckmarks I have owned, but if it'a problem for some shooters, there's quite a few companies that make charging rings to aid in racking the slide.
browning-buck-mark-base-plate-basic.jpg

Reactions: Jp1950 and rigrat
1 - 20 of 42 Posts