Mississippi Gun Owners banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seems everyone is out of moulds except for Saeco. Given they are often $200 or more got me to wondering how good are they? Are they really that good to command twice the price of a Lyman, RCBS, NOE or MP mould? If they are that good, what makes them so good?

·
Registered
10,523 Posts
Seems everyone is out of moulds except for Saeco. Given they are often $200 or more got me to wondering how good are they? Are they really that good to command twice the price of a Lyman, RCBS, NOE or MP mould? If they are that good, what makes them so good?
AFAIK they say "Saeco" on them. H&G seem to be the most sought after, even if the price does not always reflect that. I'm sure they're RCBS quality or better but I've never ponied up the money to find out. Same with the Saeco lubrasizer.

I've been filling in gaps in my moulds with Lee double cavities since the panic began. I got a bunch of them from MidwayUSA on backorder with free shipping and the "birthday discount" (worked out to just over $16 per DC Lee mould). Same with Lyman H&I lubrasizer dies I needed. If Midway will accept a backorder on it, they do seem to eventually make good (and in my case the discounted price and free shipping was still applied).

I acquired a lot of somewhat unique Lyman moulds back in the 80s when Lyman was downsizing their offerings. I got them through an Amish gun shop. I have a .41 caliber single cavity full wadcutter mould (with a small rounded hemisphere tip) that I'd love to have in double cavity, but it's the only one I've ever seen. I've used it for .41 Mag reduced target loads.

·
Registered
7,147 Posts
Don't have an answer for you.
I have 2 Saeco molds that I bought off ebay years ago. I would compare their price without handles to Lee at that time. That thought sent me back to ebay for a look. They are still there, most are up for bid plus shipping. The bad thing about bidding is you can pay more than retail for used over new.

·
Premium Member
3,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Its pretty much all that is in stock at Midway and they start at $200 and up. That's probably why they are in stock since they are double RCBS and Lyman.

·
Premium Member
3,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I can't find hardly anything for which I'm looking in stock except the Saeco's and over inflated prices on ebay. I did find a 40 cal mold for my 40 S&W at MP.

Got the following ordered. It will be my first brass mold. Haven't used one yet, but the 4 cavity brass is all they had in stock.

MP 402-165 TC.png

·
Premium Member
14,313 Posts
I can't find hardly anything for which I'm looking in stock except the Saeco's and over inflated prices on ebay. I did find a 40 cal mold for my 40 S&W at MP.

Got the following ordered. It will be my first brass mold. Haven't used one yet, but the 4 cavity brass is all they had in stock.

View attachment 258234
It’ll soon be your favorite mold! I love mine. I wish I could get MP to remake all my iron molds in brass (or aluminum),I don’t care much for steel/iron molds.

·
Registered
7,147 Posts
Brass, aluminum and steel molds aren't bad. In '73 I had an iron mold blow up while casting water bearings. Cast iron is for melting, not for casting.,

1 - 9 of 9 Posts