Mississippi Gun Owners banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Blessed are the peacemakers
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking through a box of loose ammo that a buddy gave me and found these 556 rounds, I don't think the one with the larger dent is safe but what about the smaller dent?

·
Premium Member
20,396 Posts
I would get a magnifying glass and look real close. If it looks fine and chambers I would shoot it( the smaller dent).YMMV! But if ANY question I would toss it or pull the bullet, its only 30 cents or so.

Reactions: melmerf

·
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Because of the bigger dent being on the shoulder I'm not gonna shoot it, but I will unload it and reload it in another case eventually.
I'll inspect the little dent and look for any abnormality and decide then.

Reactions: L Smith

·
Premium Member
6,192 Posts
First one looks like a dent from reloading lube...reloaded by others?! No dang way I'd shoot any of them then. Now that I reload, I know the mistakes that can be made. It's one thing if I hurt myself by a stupid mistake even after following all my quality control safeguards but I sure won't expose myself to someone else's stupid mistake (and unknown quality control, or lack there of).

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
I would say its unsafe to fire but not because of the dents but rather because it is from an unknown source. If you can be certain it is factory ammo then the small dented case would be safe to fire for sure the larger dent is borderline at best and I'd trash it.

·
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Whole lot of questions to be answered before firing,
Caliber?
Source?
That's my first 2, who wants to add to it?
Apparently it's whoever manufacturers ammo for the US military.

·
Premium Member
20,396 Posts
I would imagine that many on here have fired similar looking ammo, except for the one with the large dent. AND, these are not reloads as some have suggested.

·
Premium Member
660 Posts
I don't see a crimp, so I would say this is not mil-spec ammo. I would probably pull the bullets. If it isn't factory loaded ammo and you don't know the source, I wouldn't fire either.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts