Mississippi Gun Owners banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Thank a veteran.
4,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I’m looking at stocks to complete my build on this predator rifle. I scored it nib in a trade. It has the tapered bbl. I’m looking at the Boyd’s Varmit Thumbhole at the moment. Pics below are what I’m considering ordering. I don’t want to drop B&C or McMillan cash on a cheap rifle. My intent is primarily hunting coyotes and bobcats from a table on a hill just inside of a tree line. I’ll be using mouth calls and electronic callers with a decoy. Thanks in advance. Btw, my decoy will be setup along a power line.

·
Registered
676 Posts
I feel there are better stocks for a couple bucks more but being an axis I’m not sure I’m right. Personally I would buy just their basic replacement wood option (maybe $100 or so) and pillar it. Maybe glass bed it. The danger of turning a cheap gun into a quality gun is you could buy a well put together gun for what you end up spending. But don’t let me tell you how to spend your money. Boyd’s makes a product most certainly better than the low dollar rifles out there.

·
Thank a veteran.
4,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I feel there are better stocks for a couple bucks more but being an axis I’m not sure I’m right. Personally I would buy just their basic replacement wood option (maybe $100 or so) and pillar it. Maybe glass bed it. The danger of turning a cheap gun into a quality gun is you could buy a well put together gun for what you end up spending. But don’t let me tell you how to spend your money. Boyd’s makes a product most certainly better than the low dollar rifles out there.
I’ve been doing a lot of research and it seems I’d have a decent shooter for around $650-700. I’ve spent more than that on 22’s and 17hmrs. Lol, that may be something I should’ve kept to myself.

·
Registered
676 Posts
I’ve been doing a lot of research and it seems I’d have a decent shooter for around $650-700. I’ve spent more than that on 22’s and 17hmrs. Lol, that may be something I should’ve kept to myself.
Yeah I’ve been know to dabble as well. I’ve got a low dollar AR with a $450 barrel and a larue trigger. It does shoot might nice though.

·
Registered
668 Posts
This is my Savage Axis in .308
Has Boyd’s thumbhole stock. Art did the barrel work (cut and thread). I had the trigger worked from 8lbs to 2lbs. Bedded the action and now it shoots like a $3000 rifle. Except for the suppressor and scope, I probably have $500 in the rifle itself.

·
Registered
676 Posts
View attachment 269420 This is my Savage Axis in .308
Has Boyd’s thumbhole stock. Art did the barrel work (cut and thread). I had the trigger worked from 8lbs to 2lbs. Floated the action and now it shoots like a $3000 rifle. Except for the suppressor and scope, I probably have $500 in the rifle itself.
I would love to see your cost breakdown. I foresee some freebies or smoking deals will be mentioned. Impressive sir impressive.

·
Registered
668 Posts
I would love to see your cost breakdown. I foresee some freebies or smoking deals will be mentioned. Impressive sir impressive.
It’s been a while but I got the rifle in a trade. I think it was valued around $200. Boyd’s stock around $200. Art did the barrel for a $100. Trigger work and bedding I did on my own.

3 shot group at 100yds (with suppressor)

·
Registered
668 Posts
I bought a Boyds Prairie Hunter for my Axis in October. You do not really need a 1 Inch Recoil pad for that Caliber.
I pillar bedded mine, but I would have them do it, Front and Rear.
I like it.
I was completely surprised at the difference a bedding job makes. You would think a rifle was rock solid. Until it has been bedded. Huge difference.

·
Registered
676 Posts
It’s been a while but I got the rifle in a trade. I think it was valued around $200. Boyd’s stock around $200. Art did the barrel for a $100. Trigger work and bedding I did on my own.
View attachment 269421
3 shot group at 100yds (with suppressor)
Not quite the insanity I had expected. I must confess. Being left handed tends to bias everything to the more expensive. Keeping the barrel also seems to be a big cost saver for you. And who can argue with those results.

·
Thank a veteran.
4,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
View attachment 269420 This is my Savage Axis in .308
Has Boyd’s thumbhole stock. Art did the barrel work (cut and thread). I had the trigger worked from 8lbs to 2lbs. Floated the action and now it shoots like a $3000 rifle. Except for the suppressor and scope, I probably have $500 in the rifle itself.
I dig it…

·
μολὼν λαβέ
38,417 Posts
Reactions: rc and Low Rider

·
μολὼν λαβέ
38,417 Posts
Just be SURE to research and apply your release agent well. 😁
I have used a variety or release agents. Even Pam at one time. Even playdough to create a barrier to stop the bedding material from getting where I didn't want it to.

Reactions: rc and Low Rider

·
Thank a veteran.
4,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Got my Boyd’s Thumbhole Varmit stock on the way. Now I just need to find someone to bed it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts