Mississippi Gun Owners banner

Savage Mark II

3822 Views 36 Replies 16 Participants Last post by  LugerT
Ive been doin some research and digging, Since im waiting on my 22rf suppressor i wanted a good bolt action 22LR.
I went ahead and ordered a Savage Mark II-FV. Read alot of good and no bad reviews.

Just cant wait to get it in and get it threaded.
Alot of guys are getting them down to the .2" groups at 50yds with very little mods.

Any you guys have one these rifles?
21 - 37 of 37 Posts
DBChaffin said:
All it takes is a little time, and digging them out of the barn. I should try to get to it this weekend. Still can't shoot handguns (well not the way I want, anyway) for another month, so I ought to shoot something...
and 22s are about as cheap as your gonna get on ammo... so get to work :D

I got some squirrel hunting to do saturday morning and finish the rest of the day bush hogging.. boy what fun.
nonnieselman said:
Now to figure out what scope i wanna put on it..
I recommend the tasco Target Varmint 2.5x10x42mm w/ adjustable parallax and target knobs. $54 at Natchez Shooters Supply.

Doug
Mr Doug, I have been eyeing that scope for some time now after ive seen you suggest it several times.

I do believe my next NSS order will have that scope on it..

I took the Mueller 3-10x44 off my 308 and put it on my 22 for now..

I might end up putting the mueller on my 6.8spc and the Tasco T/V on my 22..

Thanks
I ordered the Simmons 4-12x40 with AO for my Remington Model 5, it was on sale for $35 down from $70 and a 25% mail in rebate. Should be here today. My next order from Natchez I'm going to get the Tasco Doug has been talking about for one of my other .22s
Natchez Shooters Supply has the BSA Platinum's on sale right now...

very cheap......$159 scopes on sale for $59

6-24x50's

I got a 8-32x50 $69....going on my Kimber 82

Getting ready for 100 yard rimfire F class....more on that later
DBChaffin said:
I've got an older laminated stock heavy barrel model (pre-accutrigger) with a Rifle Basix sear in it and a 8-32X Burris rimfire scope on it with parallax adjustment from 10-100 yards (rather than 25-infinity). It initially shot very well and did so for a while, with sub 1/2" at 50 yards being pretty easy with more than one type of ammumition. For some reason the group size opened up on it though and I haven't figured out why. I moved and don't really shoot rimfire rifles anymore, and I bet I haven't shot that gun in 5 years. It just sits in the back of the safe now. I need to pull it out and see if I can figure it out. I remember being really frustrated by it, and I tried cleaning it really good and then shooting it until it was dirty again and nothing helped. The muzzle never got dinged that I am aware of, but maybe having it recrowned would help.

It's a shame, because I have this sweet little rimfire plate rack with different animial silhouettes (chicken, ram, turkey, prarie dog, pig, and seems like something else as I was thinking there were at least 6 plates) that is a blast to shoot. It's not official size or anything, but the smaller ones are a real challenge, especially at 50-100 yards, and it is resettable with the pull of a rope and can provide hours of entertainment.
When you get the rifle out and decide to try it again be sure and recheck the scope bases and rings if you're satisfied the bore is clean and the crown is OK. Scope mounting devices, especially aluminum ones, can loosen over time. It doesn't have to be 'wiggling' loose either, a barely snug base can move ever so slightly, just enough to cause a wandering zero. It might not hurt to try a known good scope while you're at it. You wouldn't have to zero the borrowed scope, bolt it on, shoot a few and check the group size. Lastly, check the action mounting screws and look for tight spots against the barrel. Laminated stocks are usually pretty stable and keep their size well but are made out of wood. Let us know what you find out....good luck!
Well shoot..... looks like I need to order a Savage MK II now for my daughter to shoot in the .22 F-Class 'neck has going on now..... and a BSA as well...... damn ya'll !!
MrClean said:
Well shoot..... looks like I need to order a Savage MK II now for my daughter to shoot in the .22 F-Class 'neck has going on now..... and a BSA as well...... damn ya'll !!
get her the mkll TR.
MrClean said:
I kinda like that BSEV !!!
No Doubt!! That thing is sweet! I have the BTVS and I love it. I have a 10/22 with a stock and barrel similar to that BSEV and that is a really comfortable stock.
Is that the one that is completly free of the barrel?
yep.... w/ spiral fluting....

But.... the TR has that wicked look.... tough decision

See less See more
Its a great gun. I shoot mine more than any other gun I have. Its too quiet suppressed. I also am a fan of the 40g CCI su sonic.
I got one recently and topped it with a Nikon prostaff rimfire 3-9 x 40, I'm very pleased with this setup.
Thinking about buying one tomorrow.

I have one staked out, and if the price gets right, I'm in.

:thumbup:
I own a mark II, not sure of the specific model anymore, wood stock, non thumbhole. at 50 meters i'm getting 1/2" and better groups from a surplus 50 can I bought and filled with mixed bulk packs mind you. Accuracy at an affordable price is the mark of a Savage. My $179 stevens 200 (aka savage 110) shoots 1/2 moa at 100yrds with my hand loads. I'm hooked
21 - 37 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.