Mississippi Gun Owners banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got off the phone with a good friend. His step son is 20 years old and has started showing interest in shooting and firearms. The young man attended the recent gun show in Laurel on Saturday and found an SKS on a dealer’s table and was looking at it. It was priced $650. The dealer told him he would cut him a deal and sell it to him for $450. He bought it. After he got home, he went to fire the rifle and when he pulled the trigger it blew the magazine out of receiver onto the ground. I believe my friend said he reattached the magazine, reloaded it with ammunition and the rifle did the same thing again. It violently blew the entire mag out of the receiver. He did not attempt a third test fire. On Sunday, the young man returned to the dealer at the gun show and told him something was wrong with the rifle and explained what happened. The dealer AND his co-worker both examined the rifle, looking inside the action, magazine and chamber. They BOTH claimed there was nothing wrong with this rifle. Then the dealer said, “But for your troubles, I will give you some extras.” He gave the young man some sort of misc. spare parts and 250 rounds of 7.62x39 ammo. The young man has limited knowledge of firearms so he took the “extras” and the rifle and went home. Later in the week he show the rifle to my friend (his stepdad) and asked him what the problem may be. He had one of the spent casings from the test fire. This is a photo:
Hand Vision care Finger Gesture Automotive design

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This rifle could have very easily killed this young man. This dealer should be ASHAMED. He did not get the name of the dealer. I am not sure if he has a business. No 4473 was required for this purchase. I am furious and disappointed in our 2A community with such lack of integrity!

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
😳 so glad he was not injured! No way that "dealer" did not k ow or was unaware of that issue. Any claim of ignorance on their part is negligence because you don't sell a used firearm you have not inspected and or test fired. Any reputable dealer would agree. I hope we can find out who the dealer is so we can all steer clear of dealing with him.
Like @13Medic said This outcome could have been much worse, I am glad there were no injuries.

·
Premium Member
16,007 Posts
This rifle could have very easily killed this young man. This dealer should be ASHAMED. He did not get the name of the dealer. I am not sure if he has a business. No 4473 was required for this purchase. I am furious and disappointed in our 2A community with such lack of integrity!
You deal with people enough and you’re sure to get screwed at least once……..that’s just people. It’s got nothing to do with the 2A community as a whole. That’s just natural for schitty people. If you haven’t experienced that before now…….you must be truly blessed.

·
Morte
4,426 Posts
Glad he is ok.

Looks like it might be a threaded barrel/receiver vs pinned. I’ll look, I might still have a threaded barrel if he wants to keep it, but I would be raising sand with the dealer

·
Registered
152 Posts
Reality is that some people use gun shows to sell off problem guns that don't work as they should. Poorly patterning shotguns, Century Arms canted sights, terrible MOA, or something as catastrophic as this.

The dealer may have bought it from a guy passing by with minimal inspection, eager to turn a quick profit, paid him and set it on the table, then your buddy's step son came by. It's not realistic to assume that just because one may have an FFL, that one becomes an expert on every imaginable firearm configuration. The shotgun guy is not likely to be knowledgeable about Astra 400 barrel re-assembly.

Glad the young man is okay and hate that he had a bad experience, it is a "buyer beware" situation, not unlike buying a car from a car lot.

But I do agree that he should have made it right.

·
Registered
453 Posts
This is the reason I always carry a inspection mirror and a pen light with me at a gun show. I've been down a similar road before I know just how this person feels

·
Death is Preferable to Communism.
190 Posts
Looks like someone took a Dremel to that chamber.

Reactions: HerrZnk and gutdoc

·
Registered
732 Posts
That almost looks like a case of it not properly headspacing. That's seriously disgusting that a seller, let alone a DEALER would pass off an obviously faulty rifle. Now if they had a warning on it saying buyer beware or had it as a gunsmith special type of deal that would be one thing.

·
Registered
13,631 Posts
That almost looks like a case of it not properly headspacing. That's seriously disgusting that a seller, let alone a DEALER would pass off an obviously faulty rifle. Now if they had a warning on it saying buyer beware or had it as a gunsmith special type of deal that would be one thing.
A lot of the dealers know very little about guns overall, a lot barely look at a gun before they buy it or take in on trade. They certainly don’t do a thorough inspection or check headspace.
I would have caught that, and a few others might would but most wouldn’t.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
This is an important detail. How was a 4473 not required if it was a dealer?

1 - 20 of 70 Posts