Mississippi Gun Owners banner
21 - 40 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Get a description of the dealer and approximate location in the show, maybe one of us knows who it was. I know around half or so of the dealers at most shows.
If he had 6 tables I have a good idea who it was.
I will try to gather as much information as I can.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
This is an important detail. How was a 4473 not required if it was a dealer?
I do not have any confirmation that this was someone that held a FFL. It could be just an individual selling firearms. I will try to gather more information.

·
Premium Member
631 Posts
I've bought several malfunctioning guns at the shows for cheap. It's usually just an O-ring or just need a good cleaning. You'd be surprised what "regulars" at the show will sell some folks. But I did get a 1872 Winchester for $100, cleaned it up real good and was shooting in a couple of hours.

I am very glad he's okay, that could have been pretty bad.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
This rifle could have very easily killed this young man. This dealer should be ASHAMED. He did not get the name of the dealer. I am not sure if he has a business. No 4473 was required for this purchase. I am furious and disappointed in our 2A community with such lack of integrity!
Get a description of the dealer and approximate location in the show, maybe one of us knows who it was. I know around half or so of the dealers at most shows.
If he had 6 tables I have a good idea who it was.
And then take the information to Big Pop. Maybe he could pressure the seller to refund guys money or get banned from future shows. It's worth a try.

·
Registered
41 Posts
That is very unfortunate - especially for someone just getting into firearms. I am glad the young man appears to be none the worse physically. As stated earlier, this incident could have been very bad.

That said, this may also turn into a formative experience - that is traveling the road to learning mechanical/firearm repairs (if he has not already ventured that path). I will also say Thank You to those who offered to assist - maybe seeing the concern and benevolence from what are most likely strangers on a forum will help ease some of disappointment. I do hope the seller is located and will “make it right” however.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Is this legal if he has a FFL?
Long story short YES.

Long story......................

If he "receives" a weapon an FFL holder has to consider if it's going to be a personal weapon in his "collection" or available for sale. Personal collection is not required to be entered into his "bound books" and disposed of (sold) with a form 4473. When one must decide is a somewhat gray area. Entering it into the bound books, when it could be sold within minutes of being purchased, or by Sunday at close of show, is a headache worth procrastinating on. Way too much hassle at a busy show.

Gunshow - I would imagine most dealers decide on Monday as to whether to enter their weekend purchases or trades into their books, or keep for their "collection". If they have a brick and mortar retail presence, and wish to put it out for sale that week, they would be required to do so.

Everything above is a generalized reference point and not legal advice. The ATF constantly changes the technical rules and if you drill down deep enough, they may have recently better defined all of the above.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
I'm on you side and would be pissed. However, at this point, I'd concentrate my efforts on fixing the kid's gun, if possible. What SKS is it, Chinese, Russian, Yugoslovia, etc? Is the barrel pinned or threaded?
Mr. Bert I believe it is Chinese. Not sure on the barrel type. My buddy has taken the rifle to his nearest gunsmith to see about repairs but that particular guy declined to work on it. They are supposed to be following up with another gunsmith.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Mr. Bert I believe it is Chinese. Not sure on the barrel type. My buddy has taken the rifle to his nearest gunsmith to see about repairs but that particular guy declined to work on it. They are supposed to be following up with another gunsmith.
I love the sks, ak format but I stir clear of the sks with ak mags.You never know who did the conversion, a knowledgeable gunsmith or Bubba.

·
Registered
13,650 Posts
Sarco had some barreled receivers for about $75 recently. That would be most economical way to fix it. I would probably be interested in the receiver with the bad barrel

·
Gatekeeper to my corner of Hell.
23,258 Posts
Is this legal if he has a FFL?
Yes, but a non-ffl with a table at show aren't suppose to buy one then put it directly on the table for sale, I have friend that got a "warning" at a show from a ATF agent for doing that.

Reactions: SubGunFan

·
Registered
852 Posts
I haven’t been to a show in several years but an FFL is not usually but probably should be required to rent a table.

·
Registered
13,650 Posts
I haven’t been to a show in several years but an FFL is not usually but probably should be required to rent a table.
That would knock the shows down to maybe 50 tables around here. I rarely have a gun on the table so no need for an ffl. If i do it’s something I’ve had a while that’s been replaced or just no need for anymore.
Lots of the others without ffl do actively look for guns for inventory for their tables, not worth the risk for me.

21 - 40 of 70 Posts