Mississippi Gun Owners banner
41 - 60 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
9,817 Posts
Did the young man not get a receipt when he paid out $450 in cash? This vendor is obviously not honest and should be banned from future shows.

·
Premium Member
1,760 Posts
I haven’t been to a show in several years but an FFL is not usually but probably should be required to rent a table.
That is an ATF, leftist, democrat, progressive, wet dream.

It would also be the end of gun shows, probably in total, but certainly as we know them.

Not every, but almost every, gun I've bought at a gun show was from a private individual. There is where you find the best deals, and the odd and unusual guns and accessories. I wouldn't pay for admission to a show that required an FFL to be able to rent a table.

·
Registered
852 Posts
That is an ATF, leftist, democrat, progressive, wet dream.

It would also be the end of gun shows, probably in total, but certainly as we know them.

Not every, but almost every, gun I've bought at a gun show was from a private individual. There is where you find the best deals, and the odd and unusual guns and accessories. I wouldn't pay for admission to a show that required an FFL to be able to rent a table.
. I agree but ,I assume that is the Gun Show Loophole all the leftists talk about. I personally refuse to go regardless of the reason. I have bought many more guns from individuals than FFL holders.

·
μολὼν λαβέ
39,736 Posts
The picture of that chamber is horrendous. Did the buyer even inspect the gun before buying it? I'd think if you bought that gun and didn't check it out then you got what you bought, and its nobodies fault but your own.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
The picture of that chamber is horrendous. Did the buyer even inspect the gun before buying it? I'd think if you bought that gun and didn't check it out then you got what you bought, and its nobodies fault but your own.
The OP said he was inexperienced and was just getting into guns. You can’t blame him because of his inexperience, when the seller should not be selling crap.

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
The OP said he was inexperienced and was just getting into guns. You can’t blame him because of his inexperience, when the seller should not be selling crap.
Smile Gesture Food Food craving Tableware

·
Premium Member
1,760 Posts
. I agree but ,I assume that is the Gun Show Loophole all the leftists talk about. I personally refuse to go regardless of the reason. I have bought many more guns from individuals than FFL holders.
I detest the term "Gun Show Loophole" like I detest many of the leftist terms. There is no GSL. That is a term that was concocted by the anti-gun nazis to make people think that there is some legitimate requirement to ask permission, and to fill out gov't forms, to be able to exercise our unalienable rights. I'm old, so I can remember the days, before the 1968 Gun Control Act, that an American had the right to buy a firearm without gov't interference. I refuse to bow to the "progressive" corruption of the American language.

Mail order. Yep, you could buy a pistol or rifle from an advertisement in a magazine. Send in your check or money order and have the USPS deliver it to your house. No dealer needed. No gov't forms to fill out. No one to ask permission from. No special shipping requirements.

Newspaper ads. Yep, call the seller and set up a place to meet to complete the transaction.

Traveling out of your home State, nobody cared. Buy a gun wherever you are. Hardware stores were a good place to look, because if a gun sat on a shelf long enough, the owner (not an FFL, because there was no such thing) would usually cut a deal just to move it.

We as a country have been so indoctrinated to gov't control, to the extent that younger people believe that we have to ask gov't permission to do anything. Licenses, permits, inspections, special taxes, zoning, gov't codes, etc etc. Once us old guys are gone, there will be no one who remembers what it was like to be, at least for the most part, free citizens. I'm a bit sensitive when it comes to people suggesting that we give more control to the gov't, even if it's through proxy, and especially if it's "for the good of the people." I see Gun Shows, even as restricted are they are, even with as many rules as there are, are the last bastion of gun related freedom that we have, and I'll do what I can to keep them that way.

Just my old, fading, 2¢.

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other. —John Adams

In a free society, government reflects the soul of its people. If people want change at the top, they will have to live in different ways. Our major social problems are not the cause of our decadence. They are a reflection of it. —Cal Thomas

Reactions: 22lrfan

·
Premium Member
1,760 Posts
I'm halfway between these opinions.

If I didn't know anything about construction, I wouldn't buy a house without getting some knowledgeable help. If I didn't know anything about automobiles, I wouldn't buy one without getting some knowledgeable help. If I didn't know anything about guns, I'd get help from somebody that does. Etc.

While I believe that the "dealer" should have taken the gun back, and given the buyer a refund, part of the problem lies with the kid. He didn't get help from someone that he knew and trusted, or that person didn't know about SKS's.

I wouldn't deal with the seller if I knew who it was, and won't if I find out who it is. At best, he didn't know that the gun was defective when he sold it, at worst he was a scumbag trying of off a piece of crap. But, when it was pointed out to him that there was a problem, he showed his true colors. He should have taken the gun back, given a full refund, and not lied to the buyer.

I've been burnt on some deals, both buying and selling, because I didn't look close enough, or because of my ignorance, and some things I've just had to chalk up to a learning experience. Caveat emptor comes to mind. If you're going to buy used, know what you're buying, or who you're buying from.

Just yesterday, I was offered what I thought might be a great deal on a Corvette. But, I know what I don't know, because of expensive lessons in e past, so I decided to check out the market before I parted with my hard earned cash. Turned out it wasn't a great deal, so I passed. In my younger days I'd probably have jumped without checking. So it goes.

I'm glad that no one was hurt. That's the saving grace of this whole thing.

Reactions: 13Medic

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Perhaps you are right. He is 20 years old and just getting into firearms. Probably does not have the knowledge of what to look for when inspecting a firearm. It may end up being a $450 life lesson for the young man.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
Sarco had some barreled receivers for about $75 recently. That would be most economical way to fix it. I would probably be interested in the receiver with the bad barrel
Thanks RW. I forwarded this info to my buddy.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I haven’t been to a show in several years but an FFL is not usually but probably should be required to rent a table.
If a FFL was required to have a table, there wouldn't be many gun shows. The FFL's are there because of the private individuals that rent tables and sell firearms. The best shows are when there aren't a lot of FFL sellers.

·
Registered
852 Posts
I prolly should have clarified. If one intends to sell firearms at the show maybe they should have a license. I realize that currently, there are no laws requiring a license . Thank goodness! Just an opinion.
If a FFL was required to have a table, there wouldn't be many gun shows. The FFL's are there because of the private individuals that rent tables and sell firearms. The best shows are when there aren't a lot of FFL sellers.
I haven’t been to a good show in a long time. I used to set up at them myself . Prices are usually close to retail and entry prices have stopped me from going. Please enjoy if that’s your thing. MSGO is good enough for me.

·
μολὼν λαβέ
39,736 Posts
Seems like private individuals without licenses renting tables to sell firearms kinda fits the definition of selling to make a profit.

Reactions: yroc5660

·
μολὼν λαβέ
39,736 Posts
could just be trying to break even lol
Yes while you and I agree on that. Sadly that falls within the ATF's definition of selling firearms to make a profit without their license. So IMO this just gives fuel for the leftist groups of gun control advocates as well as the ATF, something to cry about also.
Either way I don't see it as good.

·
μολὼν λαβέ
39,736 Posts
Perhaps you are right. He is 20 years old and just getting into firearms. Probably does not have the knowledge of what to look for when inspecting a firearm. It may end up being a $450 life lesson for the young man.
Even someone without any experience if they had looked would have known something wasn't just right with that chamber. I know I sound like a hard butt, but life isn't easy and no one is going to look out for you but yourself. Best lesson he could learn. Though I hate that it cost him his money.

41 - 60 of 70 Posts