Mississippi Gun Owners banner
61 - 70 of 70 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,760 Posts
I prolly should have clarified. If one intends to sell firearms at the show maybe they should have a license. I realize that currently, there are no laws requiring a license . Thank goodness! Just an opinion.
Why should a citizen need a license to sell something? Again, that is the anti-gunners goal, to drive any gun sales through the gov't, eliminating all private sales. Like California, where every single gun sale has to go through a dealer. (That is, until they can outlaw gun possession completely, which is their true objective.)

There are indeed such laws against being an unlicensed dealer. As unclear, confusing, and subject to interpretation, as they are.

"A person who willfully engages in the business of dealing in firearms without the required license is subject to criminal prosecution, and can be sentenced to up to five years in prison, fined up to $250,000, or both."

"Under federal law, conducting business “with the principal objective of livelihood and profit” means that “the intent underlying the sale or disposition of firearms is predominantly one of obtaining livelihood and pecuniary gain, as opposed to other intents, such as improving or liquidating a personal firearms collection.”"

"Courts have identified several factors relevant to determining on which side of that line your activities may fall, including: whether
you represent yourself as a dealer in firearms; whether you are repetitively buying and selling firearms; the circumstances under which you are selling firearms; and whether you are looking to make a profit. Note that while quantity and frequency of sales are relevant indicators, courts have upheld convictions for dealing without a license when as few as two firearms were sold, or when only one or two transactions took place, when other factors were also present."

·
Premium Member
1,760 Posts
Seems like private individuals without licenses renting tables to sell firearms kinda fits the definition of selling to make a profit.
I rent a table up at two to four shows a year. I am not a dealer, nor do I represent myself as one.

My collecting interests change. At one time I was hot on Browning Hi Powers. Then I got interested in Smith & Wesson revolvers. That changed to N frame S&W revolvers. That turned into FAL's. Then it was 300 Black Out AR15's. Then back to HP's. Now it's Colt Single Action revolvers. Somewhere in there is Buck, Cold Steel, and Spyderco knives. I couldn't afford to keep every gun or knife I ever bought. So, I'd sell some old toys so I could buy different toys.

My aim isn't to make a profit, it's to enjoy different toys while I can. I realized a long time ago that I can have most of the toys I want, I just can't have them all at the same time. Hence selling old toys to buy new (used) toys.

But regardless of my true intention, it's not me that matters. It's what some ATF agent thinks or Judge decides. And that is a very scary state of affairs.

·
μολὼν λαβέ
39,736 Posts
But regardless of my true intention, it's not me that matters. It's what some ATF agent thinks or Judge decides. And that is a very scary state of affairs.
This is what I was getting at.

·
Registered
41 Posts
This is a photo of the chamber: View attachment 280410
Fortunately no one was hurt, thank Jesus Dealer need be made aware maybe more forceful that he must return this ypung mans hard earned money. 450.00 is a lots of money to me. From the pictures it plain to see that the round
is not being chambered and unless the barrel is recut from scratch it will never work. You need to look to rebarrl it or scrap pile it. I'll agree looks like someone on heavy medication went to work with the dremmel and blew out a few magazines them self. Best bet is try and work with dealer and if all fails tuck your tail and go home. I have been collecting guns for about 50yrs or better and boy have I been barned but still I have had a ball and still at it. I have did some trading and it would really bother me if I sold or traded a dangerous fire arm this is not a thing to be taken lightly. ✌ Peace be with you.

·
Registered
14 Posts
The victim in question is really lucky for not getting hurt with this unfortunate incident. I'm sure he has learn his lesson; when next he is making a purchase, he should make sure he has expert with him

·
Premium Member
631 Posts
This rifle could have very easily killed this young man. This dealer should be ASHAMED. He did not get the name of the dealer. I am not sure if he has a business. No 4473 was required for this purchase. I am furious and disappointed in our 2A community with such lack of integrity!
PM sent

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
Was there a resolution to this issue?
Not that I am aware. My friend was going to gather specific details from his stepson as to description of vendor, table location within the show etc. I have not heard back. I will reach out to him tonight.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
Update on this post: David Chancellor has reached out and has been in communication with the young man who purchased the defective rifle and is working toward a resolution. I will update as more information comes available.

61 - 70 of 70 Posts