close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Scope for SOCOM 16

Discussion in 'Optics and Accessories' started by cottonmouth, Apr 7, 2018.

Tags:
  1. cottonmouth

cottonmouth Distinguished Poster

I've decided to scope my SOCOM 16 using an A.R.M.S. 18 mount. I want a 1-4 or a 1-6 30mm compact scope but there are so many out there. I'm looking at the Burris MTAC 1-4x24, the TAC30 1-4 and the Vortex Strike Eagle 1-6. Just wondering if anyone has used one of these. I can get the TAC30 with a Fastfire III for just over $400 and that's the way I'm leaning right now.

J.B.

2. jakeg823

jakeg823 Distinguished Poster

I’ve messed with the Strike Eagle a bit. Very hard to beat for the money.

I haven’t messed with the Burris, other than looking through displays. As a general rule, Burris just doesn’t impress me, but I know some of their models are better than others.

cottonmouth likes this.

3. cottonmouth

And the Strike Eagle is a 1-6. Or I could just get a scout scope and save $200 on the mount? :hmm:

J.B.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2018
    jakeg823 likes this.
  4. lazi

lazi Distinguished Poster

When I had a scout I found the scout scope to be awkward. Waste of time...

I never got around to throwing money at a scope mount. I cut my losses. It was just too much hassle to scope it. I do wish I had tossed a red dot on there and tried that out.

Also... I would think a 2-10 or 2.5-10 scope would be the way to go on a M1A. I have a Vortex Viper 2.5-10x32 on my 308 and it does real good.

cottonmouth and jakeg823 like this.
  5. patchz

patchz Court Jester

I've got Burris 2-7 LER scout scopes on my Socom 16, Marlin Guide Gun, and Ruger Gunsite Scout, all with QD mounts. I am fairly satisfied with them as far as scout LER mounted scopes go.

cottonmouth likes this.
  6. lazi

lazi Distinguished Poster

Know what... Me saying "waste of time" was because I was already frustrated with my M1A by the time I finally mounted the scout scope. While a scout mounted scope was a bit awkward I think I could've made it work. In actuality it may be less awkward than the sky high mounted scope over the receiver that would require some sort of cheek riser.

cottonmouth, patchz and jakeg823 like this.
  7. cottonmouth

I think I'm gonna go with the A.R.M.S. mount and the Strike Eagle. 6X should be plenty for this 16" barrel and I rarely shoot past 100 yards. I want a set of Warn QD rings but not sure what height to get, I'm guessing medium.

J.B.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2018
    jakeg823 likes this.
  8. patchz

patchz Court Jester

Notice that both of these ride pretty low.

M1895G24msgo.jpg.jpg Socom64msgoa.jpg

jakeg823, lazi and cottonmouth like this.
  9. cottonmouth

Those look nice!

J.B.

patchz likes this.
  10. patchz

patchz Court Jester

Buuris, Springfield, Marlin and I thank you.

11. cottonmouth

I bought a Strike Eagle 2-6 today, it's a little big but doable. Now I need the mount and rings. This reminds of the monkey that peed in the cash register, it's running into money!

J.B.

patchz and jakeg823 like this.
  12. cottonmouth

A.R.M.S. #18 mount and Warnre QD rings ordered and on the way. Come on UPS!!

J.B.

lazi and jakeg823 like this.
  13. cottonmouth

4EA6B01C-A140-4FFD-9121-648282DA384D.jpeg The Warne medium rings were about 1/16” too low so I bought a set of Leupold high QD rings. Looks good, I just hope it works like it should!

J.B.

lazi likes this.