Mississippi Gun Owners banner

Scope or Red Dot

2K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  Solarmapper 
#1 ·
Going to try another scope or red dot on my Super Red Hawk. The scope (Simmons) on it now won't hold zero. Was thinking of trying a red dot. Just wondering if they could handle the recoil and if anyone has tried running one.

#2 ·
I'd opt for a red dot on a handgun for hunting. As for holding up, that's going to depend on the optic and mount more so than anything else. There are plenty of solid red dots that hold up under stress of recoil quite well. Vortex Venom and Viper red dots routinely hold up to recoil from 12 gauge shotguns and .45-70 firearms, no reason they shouldn't hold up to .44 Magnum, .454 Casull, or anything on a Super Redhawk.

Those are just a few examples, there are plenty of other brands that will accomplish this too.

#4 ·
I've got a Tru-glo that has been with me for quite sometime now. Tougher than most give them credit for. You don't always have to spend a arm and a leg to get dependable.

Reactions: Mesquite
#11 ·
I wondered the same thing about shotgun recoil and asked SWFA about it. According to them, specifically on the Sightmark brand, they are just as good on shotguns and handguns as they are rifles. I imagine it is true for most well known popular brands.

Reactions: Solarmapper
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.