SCOPES FOR RIMFIRE

Discussion in 'Rimfire' started by DEADEYE 1, Jun 5, 2016.

Tags:
  1. DEADEYE 1

DEADEYE 1 Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

Just curious what brand and size scopes do you use?

2. Sum Gy Custom Firearms

Sum Gy Custom Firearms Distinguished Poster

3X9X40 nikon prostaff on all my scoped .22 LR and .22 mag

I'm a Rebel, 1010, steve2112 and 3 others like this.

3. 95 taco

95 taco Blessed are the peacemakers

3-9x40 Nikon prostaff rimfire (Has BDC, useful with nikons "Spot on" app), works perfect on my Marlin XT-22.
    Consistent hits on a 1.5" circle at ~65 yards and fairly consistent hits on a 4" circle at ~92 yards, the lack of accuracy at the longer range I believe is my eyes and not knowing my holdover well enough.
    IMG_3715.JPG

Last edited: Jun 5, 2016
  4. Cliff731

Cliff731 Danged ole' Hermit...

5. Cliff731

6. bubbat

bubbat Gatekeeper to my corner of Hell.

Clinton
    I've got a variety of different scopes on my .22s from straight 4xs to 6x24s by Bushnell, Simmons,Tasco and Weaver. Scope that seems to be real popular on rimfirecentral is the Mueller APV 4.5 x 14 always want to try one and the Redfield TAC-22 2x7

I second cliff on the Burris rings.

Cliff731 likes this.
  7. 45flattop

45flattop Distinguished Poster

Jackson
    I have a variety as well, from a Vortex PST 6-24x50 on a custom Kidd heavy
    barreled 10/22 to a 3-7x33 EFR Leupold on a tack driving M77/22R that astonished
    me the first time I shot it at how well it grouped. The Leupold on the M77/22
    replaced an older Leupold 2-7x28 that I still have but haven't found a rifle
    to suit it yet.

8. Rw

Rw Distinguished Poster

Ive had a 2-7 nikon and a 3-9x40 leupold on my 10/22.. and the savage has a cheap 4-18 x40 with mildots. I like them all but obviously the leupold has the best glass.

9. captain-03

captain-03 Moderator Staff Member MSGO Supporter

Byram, MS
    Got 4 22s that are scoped:

Kimber 82G - Weaver T-36 1/8 Dot
    WInchester 52D - Weaver T-36 1/8 Dot
    H&R Model 12 - Weaver T-36 1/8 Dot
    Remington 40X - Weaver T-36 1/8 Dot

Guess you can see I like the T-36 .... got to be able to see 22 holes at 200 yards ...

10. shoeshooter

shoeshooter Distinguished Poster

Florence
    I seem to recall you attempting to squirrel hunt one time with a 36X. Or am I just imagining things?

11. phillipd

phillipd Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

columbus
    Cap'n, with my eyes I'd need a telescope for that. I have a half dozen or so rimfires with scopes, but none are what I would like. The best is probably a Burris full field II 3-9x40 on my kid's Savage .17HMR. If it were an option, I'd like to have the same on all my rifles,, regardless of caliber, either Trijicon, Vortex, or Nightforce, in that order. So far I have one. Everything else is just adequate.

12. DEADEYE 1

DEADEYE 1 Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

On a Marlin bolt action 20-26 years ago; I put some steel Redfield rings and a 3x9x40 SIMMONS and a Tasco 3x9x40 on my Marlin 39. I bought a Marlin bolt action tube feed back in the Winter that I have not even shot yet. I have been kicking around the idea of putting something like Nikons on at least some of them.I have a Nikon Buckmasters that I either bought or traded for that is ready to put on one. I figure that I ought to be able to trim my groups down a little with a better scope.
    Don,t get me wrong, a Tasco on a buget is a good starting place and they have served me well for years.
    I have Leupolds, Nikons and a very good Swift on my deer rifles. People, Shooters are more serious now with their rimfire rifles than say 25-30 years ago. And if you had a 3x9x40 scope on a rimfire 20 years ago, you were serious about accuracy. I have been seeing some good prices on Nikons in my catalogs.

13. oldguns

oldguns Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

Ellisville
    I have cheap scopes and good scopes on .22 rifles. But my favorite to shoot .22 rifles are both iron sight bolt actions, one has peep sights, the other has military Mauser type sights.

14. turable.shot

turable.shot Distinguished Poster

Along this line, are ya'll using scopes with parallax set at 50yards?
    Mine is not, but it seems not to be a real problem to me...
    Just wondering.
    Turable.shot

15. 45flattop

45flattop Distinguished Poster

Jackson
    On some of my rifles, the scope is preset for parallax at 60 yards and some at 75
    but I also have two that have a parallax adjustment turret that goes from 50 to
    200 if memory serves.

16. skyking749

skyking749 Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

I have a Nikon Prostaff Target EFR with adjustable parallax down to 10 meters. It seems to be a good little scope so far.

The Nikon P Rimfire also looks nice and is a little cheaper. It does not have adjustable parallax, but I think it is set at 50 and it also has target turrets. Why the Target EFR does not have them is a mystery to me at the higher price point.

17. Cliff731

Skyking749... I agree with you on this and don't believe the Nikon R Rimfire has an adjustable parallax. I think it is set at 50 yards. My Nikon ProStaff Rimfire w/BDC reticle is non-adjustable and set at 50 yards. Or maybe we're talking about the same scope?

18. skyking749

skyking749 Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

The P Rimfire non adjustable parallax scope that I was talking about is a little different than the Prostaff BDC in that it has a Nicoplex reticle and target turrets. Also it is 2x7

Amazon.com : Nikon P- RIMFIRE 2-7x32 Nikoplex Rifle Scope, Black : Sports & Outdoors

The on I have currently is this one

https://www.amazon.com/Nikon-Prosta...UTF8&qid=1465623064&sr=1-1&keywords=nikon+efr

It seems if they made the first one with precision reticles and adjustable parallax or the second one with target turrets, they could just make one model and have the best of both worlds, but I was not a marketing major, so I am probably wrong....lol

19. Cliff731

Okay... I got it now... :)

I've looked at the Nikon P-Rimfire online in the past... the one with the 32mm objective lens and target turrets. It is a very nice scope.

The Nikon Prostaff Target EFR is another animal... has the adjustable objective lens (parallax). I like it too and if it's air rifle compatible, it's well built as I understand.

Yes, Nikon should sell one scope that has all these features you are looking for and find desirable.

Guess they want to sell us more than one scope, however... :(

Liking and wanting all this glass can get expensive... especially when you're looking at a new DSLR camera too!