·
Danged ole' Hermit...
13,941 Posts
"Stupid is as stupid does"... Forrest Gump

Toting that thing around in public is like borrowing trouble, IMHO... o_O

·
Premium Member
3,817 Posts
If you question him, you are picking on legal gun owners, if you don't respond and the guy murders a bunch of kids, you weren't doing your job. Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

·
Danged ole' Hermit...
13,941 Posts
Like the officer respectfully submitted...

"You make a sudden movement with this, you're probably gonna get shot"...!!! :eek:

A stunt like this is really pushing things on ending up very well ventilated and headed for a long permanent dirt nap.

For the record, I'm very impressed with the professionalism and restraint shown by the Edmonds, Oklahoma police officers.

·
Danged ole' Hermit...
13,941 Posts
Personally, I'd rather be/stay alive than be legally right, but dead.

He certainly got his LEO 2A 'response' ...
.................... :yeah:

Being "right" don't make an iota if ya end up dead... o_O

(There's documented cases of minors ending up dead from brandishing and carrying an airsoft or pellet pistol.)

·
Premium Member
27,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

(There's documented cases of minors ending up dead from brandishing and carrying an airsoft or pellet pistol.)
True, and I've read those cases/stories. My survivors don't need to win the 'ghetto lottery' ...

·
Danged ole' Hermit...
13,941 Posts
Most police officers are just like the rest of us... with one notable exception... o_O

While they look forward to going home to their wife and kids every day at the end of their shift... they also have crazy people shooting at them.

And did I mention the "crazies" with knives??? :eek:

@patchz... where are ya? :)

·
MSGO Court Jester
41,553 Posts
I agree with the general consensus posted here. Just because it's legal, doesn't mean it's a good idea to do it.
A+ for the officer's handling of it.

Yes Cliff, I have first hand knowledge of crazies with guns and knives. :eek:

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
The absolute cahones on this madman

·
μολὼν λαβέ
38,417 Posts
If you question him, you are picking on legal gun owners, if you don't respond and the guy murders a bunch of kids, you weren't doing your job. Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.
So I guess we should leave all our guns in the safe?

I agree with the general consensus posted here. Just because it's legal, doesn't mean it's a good idea to do it.
A+ for the officer's handling of it.

Yes Cliff, I have first hand knowledge of crazies with guns and knives. :eek:

Not trying to be a smart ass but its perfectly legal and goes back to the saying about your rights if you don't exercise them you will loose them. What about open carry of handguns? If people was to call in all the time about those should we stop open carrying just because the general population of people don't like it?

If you don't educate those that don't know better then they will remain ignorant and continue to see legal activities as being illegal. I understand LEO's have a dangerous job and have to be on alert when receiving a call. But it s all in how you answer that call and how you educate yourself on the gun laws and carry laws. Which is obvious these guys didn't know much about them. And it would seem it would be in there best interest to know them and the departments best interest to educate them and keep them educated on the gun laws.

I admit I don't know what the best way would be to educate everyone. But doing nothing cause some think you shouldn't do something isn't the answer in my opinion.

Reactions: Mesquite

·
μολὼν λαβέ
38,417 Posts

Brandishing any weapon or look alike can get you dead. But brandishing is not what this guy was doing at all. Big difference.

Reactions: Mesquite and 7557

·
MSGO Court Jester
41,553 Posts
Not trying to be a smart ass but its perfectly legal and goes back to the saying about your rights if you don't exercise them you will loose them. What about open carry of handguns? If people was to call in all the time about those should we stop open carrying just because the general population of people don't like it?

If you don't educate those that don't know better then they will remain ignorant and continue to see legal activities as being illegal. I understand LEO's have a dangerous job and have to be on alert when receiving a call. But it s all in how you answer that call and how you educate yourself on the gun laws and carry laws. Which is obvious these guys didn't know much about them. And it would seem it would be in there best interest to know them and the departments best interest to educate them and keep them educated on the gun laws.

I admit I don't know what the best way would be to educate everyone. But doing nothing cause some think you shouldn't do something isn't the answer in my opinion.
I agree with exercising your rights. I just think it was a poor choice of weapons for open carry.

I also agree officers should be more knowledgeable about guns and gun laws. But it's a huge gun database that takes years to learn, and even then it's rare to know every single gun made. It's also a bit difficult to learn the gun laws if you're not on forums like this and/or interested in guns. All cops don't have gun hobbies.

As to educating the cops and general public, that will take time. I just don't think his method is the best way.

·
μολὼν λαβέ
38,417 Posts
I agree with exercising your rights. I just think it was a poor choice of weapons for open carry.

I also agree officers should be more knowledgeable about guns and gun laws. But it's a huge gun database that takes years to learn, and even then it's rare to know every single gun made. It's also a bit difficult to learn the gun laws if you're not on forums like this and/or interested in guns. All cops don't have gun hobbies.

As to educating the cops and general public, that will take time. I just don't think his method is the best way.
I respect that, and I'm not sure its the best way but it is a way those officers will remember rather than forgetting what was said at their last meeting. And whether you are interested in guns or have a gun hobby, you should be educated on the common laws. I mean these guys didn't even know it was a AR pistol one even asked for his papers thinking it was a SBR. You watch live PD on tv and see officers all the time struggling to clear a weapon to the point of being unsafe about it. It would be the same if I didn't know how to turn off a breaker or check for voltage with a meter. I deal with it every day so I better know. I cop deals with guns and bad/good guys every day I think they should no the basic stuff.

Now not saying all of them are uneducated I believe a vast majority do know about them and the basic laws that go along with guns. But it is that 40 ish percent that make the other s look really bad.

·
MSGO Court Jester
41,553 Posts
I respect that, and I'm not sure its the best way but it is a way those officers will remember rather than forgetting what was said at their last meeting. And whether you are interested in guns or have a gun hobby, you should be educated on the common laws. I mean these guys didn't even know it was a AR pistol one even asked for his papers thinking it was a SBR. You watch live PD on tv and see officers all the time struggling to clear a weapon to the point of being unsafe about it. It would be the same if I didn't know how to turn off a breaker or check for voltage with a meter. I deal with it every day so I better know. I cop deals with guns and bad/good guys every day I think they should no the basic stuff.

Now not saying all of them are uneducated I believe a vast majority do know about them and the basic laws that go along with guns. But it is that 40 ish percent that make the other s look really bad.
I will only respond to your last paragraph, as I am tired and not thinking as clear as I would like.

While there is truth in your statement, isn't it like saying one bad apple ruins the whole barrel? Do you want all oilfield workers judged by a certain percentage?

I still think his choice was a bad one, regardless of how good his intent.

·
Super Moderator
8,483 Posts
There's a difference between being right and being stupid.
If you know that a tomato is a fruit, then you are right.
If you put it in a fruit salad, then . . .

·
μολὼν λαβέ
38,417 Posts
I will only respond to your last paragraph, as I am tired and not thinking as clear as I would like.

While there is truth in your statement, isn't it like saying one bad apple ruins the whole barrel? Do you want all oilfield workers judged by a certain percentage?

I still think his choice was a bad one, regardless of how good his intent.
I'm not judging all for the actions of a few. I'm saying the ones I have seen that need schooling need schooling.
I certainly think there are allot of great and good LEO's out there.

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
Not sure I know what the answer is here but deliberately baiting the police into action is dangerous (for all involved including passersby and the people on the road that the police passed on their way to the site), disrespectful and foolhardy. The gun he "chose" to carry was selected to incite a reaction. He had a pistol on his hip already. Secondly do I really want to desensitize the police to a man walking in the park with a rifle? No matter how many times he does this the reaction will have to be much the same until they lays eyes on him. Putting the same people in danger each time.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts