Mississippi Gun Owners banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
919 Posts
So do the BNC baluns just increase the distance or do they also increase the quality?
Neither, they just convert cat5 to BNC

Reactions: rigrat

·
μολὼν λαβέ
34,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Ok last thing .

Whats the difference between a 5MP PoE system vs a 5MP BNC system?

Or a 4K PoE vs 4K bnc

·
Rational Anarchist
13,852 Posts
My real experience with CCTV equipment, beyond the all in one wireless system I purchased a little over a year ago, is 17 years in the past. BNC based stuff is what we were using then. I’d have to assume that PoE would be a simpler setup with power and signal coming through the same wire. Granted Siamese power/coax was what we were using but outside of commercial use I haven’t encountered that type outside of that setting and that stuff was damn expensive.

Reactions: Mesquite and rigrat

·
Rational Anarchist
13,852 Posts
So, perhaps the real difference is the cost of the wiring and connections?

Reactions: rigrat

·
μολὼν λαβέ
34,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
So, perhaps the real difference is the cost of the wiring and connections?
I really don't know. I do know that the PoE is more expensive than the BNC/Pwr stuff. Funny thing is if PoE is much better quality why is most of the stuff I find marked 4K (best resolution) in the BNC/PRW ?

Other than figuring that out I think I got it. Its just the opposite of the old camera's. You wanted Optical zoom not digital. Now in these I guess digital (PoE) is the best and preferred. I was sure hoping it was the opposite as I will be getting $200 dollar electronic e-card for Amazon and was hoping to be able to buy out right. But I guess I may have to add some with it and get the 5MP, NVR/Camera set up.

·
μολὼν λαβέ
34,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Ok ended up going with the Reolink 8 channel NVR with 4-4MP bullet camera's. The NVR can use all of their camera's up to and including the 4k ones. I'll more than likely go with the 5MP camera's when I add some more.

Thanks to everyone that shared their opinions and experiences in security camera systems.

Oh and the best thing is it cost me only $97.50 out of pocket.

·
μολὼν λαβέ
34,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Ok since I'm up and running now I figured I would post a update. Camera's a great in the daytime and are good at night but limited vision say 50-60 feet best and extending slightly further without allot of detail. You can if you are looking see the faint red glow of the infra at night if you are looking for it. I have 4 camera's set up but can see I want 4 more to max the system out. I also think I want to reposition some to tree's around the yard where they truly will be hidden. Cost for this piece of mind was about $320 ish dollars. I haven't made my mind totally up about the position of the camera's yet. I'm not totally satisfied at there loacations.

REOLINK , 8-channel, 4-4MP camera's

Camera's:
4-4MP fixed camera's with a view angle of about 80*'s.
I have 3 of them set up on 50 foot cat5 cables and one on a 150 foot run. There is no difference in the picture quality between it and the others. I will be running 1 or 2 out to the max stated distance of about 300 feet.
I have my eye on getting 4 of the 5MP camera's maybe even 2 of the 5MP with zoom feature.

camera 3.jpeg
camera 4 .jpeg

21 - 28 of 28 Posts