close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Serious question - armed in-home care

Discussion in 'Mississippi Concealed Carry' started by GunnyGene, Feb 13, 2018 at 7:21 AM.

1. GunnyGene

GunnyGene Distinguished Poster

Trying to do a little planning for the future. I ain't no spring chicken anymore, and my wife is already partially disabled. I also have a number firearms. My question has to do with vetting a in-home care person. I don't want to have to dispose of my firearms if the care person company has a no-guns policy for their people. I would prefer that person to have an Enhanced Carry permit. Or at least not have any restrictions or personal objections regarding guns in my house, and be capable of using one of mine should the need arise. And also I need to be comfortable that they are completely trustworthy for obvious reasons.

There's no immediate need, so nobody panic. Just trying to get some preliminary advice/info on how to proceed when/if it becomes necessary.

2. gunsinger

gunsinger Who you callin’ a snowflake?

Petal, MS
    Gunny, that's not something I've really thought about but, the older we get, the more we should. The sad thing is, you hear too many horror stories about home care providers who abuse their charges and, sometimes, by the time we get to the point of needing home care we're not really in a position to do much. In that case, unfortunately, your question may be moot. I know when my wife's grandmother got to the point she needed home care, there's no way I would have wanted her to have access to a gun.

But, to your point, you may not be living alone and the people around you still need to be protected. I think you need to start your search earlier than you think you'll need it and vet out the prospective providers to ensure that their policies do not conflict with the need for protection for you you and your family.

Interesting topic.

3. Fivesuns

Fivesuns Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

Yes, very interesting topic.....I am very thankful one of my sons lives next door and he and his wife are committed to caring for me and the wife in the future years. They already do a tremendous amount for us. Family taking care of family. Way we was raised.

4. Mesquite

Mesquite Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

Very good subject. My Mom & step Dad had 1 issue early on with home health aide they got independent of any Organization. I would start with vetting Homecare organizations around you now (BBB .church or business friends. etc.)
    That would give head start on future networking & vetting a Company employees.
    Although my wife still working,I'm retired. That is something we should start thinking about

Blondie70, Jarhead5811 and jakeg823 like this.
  5. GunnyGene

That's probably the better solution, but it's not an option for us.

Jarhead5811 and Mesquite like this.
  6. onlymaroonmatters

onlymaroonmatters Eat Sleep JEEP MSGO Supporter

Laurel
    I can't help you as far as recommending an agency or person to help. Though can say a little about my past experience. I used to do home health PT and one pt was out in the country past my house. Didn't know him or his family. Was seeing him for about 2 weeks when something came up about him having a 38 revo in every room hid just in case. I told him that was a good idea and I have just about one firearm in every room myself and don't leave home without one, regardless of policy. He told me I didn't look like a gun nut and I said well I guess that's a good thing. He showed me a few he had hid as we walked around his house. Then we decided our last session would be show and tell and I brought a few extra with me and he had a lot of his laid out on the coffee table when I got there. Had a good visit looking at some of his older pieces. He also used to be a bike guy before injury and he enjoyed going out looking at mine the few times I took it on home health visits. Guess say all that to say you never know what the person you get is into or like. I'm not 100% sure on the HH companie's policy regarding that issue but I can absolutely guarantee you that it didn't matter for all the male PTs that work/ed for them. Guess it helps being good country folks raised right too. We just didn't advertise the issue and hoped things never came to revealing it. Main reason was like that was for our protection against patients/animals/family lol.
    Is a good thought and one I have never thought about. Wish you luck sir as well as looking forward to your shared advice for others for the future.

Blondie70, rigrat and Mesquite like this.
  7. Mesquite

Of course, our guns introduce a another level. At that point, I reckon most of mine would start getting disbursed to family. Maintaining personal security weapons. Have family member-close (RN) to help oversee our care.
    Keep personal weapon safes.
    ??remote cameras for family to monitor??

Jarhead5811 and CajunBP like this.
  8. TheBouncer1111

TheBouncer1111 Distinguished Poster

a lot I would guess also depends on your insurance. If you're paying 100%, you can pretty much pick and choose and vet who you want. But if Insurance dictates who they will pay, your options in that regards will be limited.

I have a 2nd or 3rd? ,not sure how it works cousin, in NC that is a NP Supervisor for a Home Heath Agency(dont know who). She's a CCW and NRA Instructor as well.
    I'll ask her what their company policy is and if she's encountered the situation.

Blondie70, Jarhead5811 and Mesquite like this.
  9. RegularGuy

RegularGuy Full Poster

Great idea to start exploring options now. I am responsible for my mothers care. Over the past 3 years, the only gun friendly options we found were some local people who provided in-home care as a second job to their main income. We also found the best option to find in-home care was the local hospital, at the nurses desk. They had a list and so did a friend that works for a home health agency. We were paying 100% at the time though.

Also, My in-laws had to live in a couple of assisted living facilities due to MIL having a debilitating disease...all of the facilities they lived in had a no guns policy for residents. They were in the 5-6k per month range at the time, 3-8 years ago. I noticed that none of theirs had a sign though, so I assume visitors must have been excluded from the policy. I can understand their concern as some people in these places aren't mentally stable all the time.

Jarhead5811 and Mesquite like this.
  10. CajunBP

CajunBP Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

Just thinking out loud here or maybe I missed the point because I am stupid that way sometimes, but why do they need to know? Couldn't you just stick in a hollowed out book? Thieves don't normally bother with books.

Jarhead5811, BasMstr and Mesquite like this.
  11. Mesquite

:pWalk thru our house is going to shout GUNS, in memorabilia, pictures without even making to Man Cave :D.
    Don't think we're talking break in, but aides that would have access to most of house?

CajunBP likes this.
  12. GunnyGene

If you follow the news - even here in MS - older folks are a prime target lately. There's several things to think about. The availability and cost of someone who is not going to freak out about firearms is the primary thing. Trustworthiness is a close second. Also in terms of being able to handle a home invasion, where the occupant(s) are unable to protect themselves due to physical problems. I figure a caretaker with a Enhanced Carry permit would be a plus for all of those.

There's one person on this forum who meets most of my criteria, but I don't know if he can cook and clean. ;)

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018 at 2:36 PM
    CajunBP and Mesquite like this.
  13. bubbat

bubbat Gatekeeper to my corner of Hell.

Clinton
    You're probably going to have to find a independent health care worker, because most in home health care businesses aren't going to allow employees to carry in their patients home, too big of a liability.

RegularGuy likes this.
  14. Mesquite

:pYeah , hes little thin around ribs:)But that's probably because he don't ever slow down :yeah:.
    Don't know bout house: but pictures of shop always look pretty good, :lol6:.

15. CajunBP

CajunBP Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

I have a feeling Phillip can do it all!

BasMstr and Mesquite like this.
  16. TheBouncer1111

TheBouncer1111 Distinguished Poster

...for the right price.....

CajunBP, rigrat and Blondie70 like this.
  17. phillipd

phillipd Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

columbus
    I know very little about home health or hospice, but anyone who holds a nursing license has to have an FBI background check. I'm not sure about aides, and anybody can be a 'sitter'. I have a few friends that do home health and hospice and they all carry. Going to a stranger's house in an isolated area can be scary, especially for a female. In my limited experience I have heard little about abuse or theft for home health providers from an established company. The problems I know about were from aides and sitters. People are people, it's a crapshoot. We were lucky with the 2 older black women who sat with Gram and Grandpa. They both provided numerous references and came highly recommended.
    And yes, I can cook and clean. Rates start at volunteer and go up

18. onlymaroonmatters

Laurel
    :yeah:
    And I know PTs also have to be fingerprinted. As well as pass a physical to do HH. Like I said above we all carry/carried mostly for our protection. Have a story of one guy and a goose with pepper spray. It's a doozie. Also another one involving an ex cop/PT actually drawing down on somebody.

CajunBP, phillipd and rigrat like this.
  19. phillipd

phillipd Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

columbus
    I also have stories of a home health RN that had trouble with both a goose and a pet turkey at patient's homes. And the one about my buddy who was delayed from leaving a patient's house for an hour because they couldn't get the 2 goats out of the back of her truck

fordpkup and onlymaroonmatters like this.
  20. onlymaroonmatters

Laurel
    Haha what's with the dang gooses lol. Ha have heard a few about goats myself. A crazy wild world the HH realm is. I miss it sometimes. Just a little. But then think of my free time now have and it's a short fleeting moment.

phillipd and rigrat like this.