close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Service Grade M1 Garands for $730 at CMP

Discussion in 'Mil-Surp/C&R/Black Powder' started by TwangBanger, Oct 10, 2017.

1. stewbaby

stewbaby Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

I believe they recently changed to where if you buy it in the store, you pay the tax and they won’t ship. They had some pressure from local tax agencies it seems.

I still recommended buying in store, I found two gems that way...I’ve sold off both my mail order rifles.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2017
  2. stewbaby

Steve2112, you can use you hunter education card I believe for proof of firearms activity. Or a C&R license (what I used at the time)

[​IMG]

3. TwangBanger

TwangBanger Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

Mississippi Hunter Education won't work, as it doesn't include "live fire training" - at least it didn't when I took Hunter's Ed many years ago.

cmp elig.jpg

steve2112 likes this.
  4. stewbaby

...but they take it (they don’t dig into the details of what training was given for every states ccw or hunters ed). Our conscious would be the issue. I took it in 1987 I think and it did involve 22lr at the Jackson police academy.

5. captain-03

captain-03 Moderator Staff Member MSGO Supporter

This is correct ... if you go to store to purchase, you will pay the 10% sales tax; additionally, you MUST take it with you and can not have it shipped unless you can produce a plane ticket for your trip back home. The good old days are gone.

Mesquite and stewbaby like this.
  6. steve2112

steve2112 Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

Clinton
    I don't have either one of those. :(

7. stewbaby

Come shoot a highpower match at Magnolia!

Mesquite, HotRod61 and TwangBanger like this.
  8. TwangBanger

I took it around the same time . . . in the summer of '86 or '87 at Natchez High School. I was 14 or 15 years old - I remember I rode my bicycle there, LOL. It was put on by a group of Mississippi game wardens. There was no live fire training at all in our class.

9. steve2112

Clinton
    I think you meant SOUTH Natchez Adams High School :)

I refuse to call it that.

TwangBanger likes this.
  10. TwangBanger

Yep. Back then it was South Natchez. I graduated in 1991, so I went to 9th and 10th grade at SOUTH Natchez, and for 11th and 12th grade it was Natchez High.

11. Yeah, but it's still worth the extra $73 tax to avoid having to explain the FedEx delivery to the wife "You bought ANOTHER Garand!?!?"

CajunBP and Mesquite like this.
  12. steve2112

Clinton
    Given my experiences this year, I don't think I want a Garand sitting at my front door for any length of time.

Mesquite likes this.
  13. mascott

mascott Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

Unless you have to explain to your wife why your going to Anniston AL.

I know with MY wife, that may cause additional issues!

Mesquite likes this.
  14. maxhush

maxhush Distinguished Poster

NW MS

Mesquite likes this.
  15. maxhush

maxhush Distinguished Poster

NW MS
    You can show her this pic to reassure her that it isn't for the Alabama women

[​IMG]

94LEVERFAN, mascott and Mesquite like this.
  16. TwangBanger

Not only would driving to Anniston cost me $73 more in taxes, but Anniston is 383 miles from Gulfport, so round trip I'd have to spend about $90 in gas. So, going to the CMP store in Anniston would cost me an additional $163, plus 11 hours of driving time that I'll never get back. Think I'll stick with mail order.

Now, if I was going to be close ANYWAY, like visiting my son in Phenix City, AL (who's stationed at Fort Benning, GA), then it might be a different story.

mascott, Mesquite and maxhush like this.
  17. Scharfschütze

Scharfschütze Waffennarr

Won't happen; mine was delivered FedEx Overnight Adult Signature Required, which is why it went back to FedEx Hattiesburg (see my post above), no one was home.

18. steve2112

Clinton
    That's my problem with that kind of stuff. I live by myself, and most of the time, those things show up when I'm still at work. Granted, it's not as bad as your case, since FedEx has a facility right down the road in Richland, but it's still annoying. I had one case a while back that drove me up the wall. I ordered a laptop from Dell that required a signature, and I didn't want to sign the thing for them to leave it at the door, but according to FedEx, Dell had put restrictions on it where I could not request to have it delivered to a FedEx store in Ridgeland or Madison. I had to pay to schedule a delivery time, then leave work early to make sure I was at home in time.

19. Scharfschütze

Scharfschütze Waffennarr

Don't know if CMP still does this but I did have 24 hours' notice of the delivery; if your j*b allows it as soon as you get that email tell them "I'm gonna be sick tomorrow!" and stay home for it.
    Just a suggestion. My purchase was quite a while back, not sure if you get the overnight delivery notification anymore, perhaps others who have made more recent purchases can enlighten us.