Mississippi Gun Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just in general how many rounds does it take to get your scope set to your liking And what is your process

·
Registered
10,880 Posts
Depends on how far off from zero it is. I like to start with my laser bore sighter, just to get it on paper (but I've had a couple that the bore sighter ended up being dead nuts on). Usually only takes a few after that, but I always do three shot groups whenever I zero a scope.

If you have a lead sled or some such that won't move, you can try the "one shot" method. I've never tried it, but know a couple people that have.

·
Registered
540 Posts
It depends on the intended use, but generally I will start close range to make sure I'm on paper then move to the intended zero distance and sight from there. Usually can get it in 3-10 rounds depending on conditions, ammo quality, distance and magnification.

·
Premium Member
2,433 Posts
Depends on how far off from zero it is. I like to start with my laser bore sighter, just to get it on paper (but I've had a couple that the bore sighter ended up being dead nuts on). Usually only takes a few after that, but I always do three shot groups whenever I zero a scope.

If you have a lead sled or some such that won't move, you can try the "one shot" method. I've never tried it, but know a couple people that have.
I generally will check the scope with a bore scope or laser if I have it with me. Then I will shoot @25yds to see where it is - esp left/rigth. Then a shot at 50 and them to 100 nd then to longer distance if desired.. When I hunted a lot out west I sighted zero at 300 yds ....

As for the "one shot" method. I have done that numerous. Here is how I did it: #1 have a solid - solid - solid rest. #2 have someone help you. Take the scope to as high as magnification as possible #3 - at 100 yds (that is what I used the times I have done it -- but you can choose -- you want a distance and magnification that you can really see) Fire 1 shot. Hold the rifle like a vice with the reticle EXACTLY on the spot (point) of aim. Then have your buddy click the cross hairs (under your instruction) to the bullet strike. #4- verify with a group and fine tune as needed.

There are as many ways to zero a scope as Carter has little liver pills -- main thing is to do it and keep it tight on the mounts and mounts tight on the gun.

Reactions: Henry Bowman
1 - 5 of 5 Posts