close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Sharpening knives...another "Junge" anecdote

Discussion in 'Blades' started by Scharfschütze, Jun 1, 2017.

1. Scharfschütze

Scharfschütze Waffennarr

Reading the "Survival Knives" thread & posting there caused this story to pop into my head, something I hadn't thought about for almost 3 years now. Warning, it's another "Junge" story.
    After he finished "indoc" and went through "acceptance" and became Midshipman, 4th Class Z., he had to stand watch. Of course the 4th classmen got the prime time 2200-0400 shifts. In between making rounds of the "deck" (his floor of the dorm) he occupied himself with sharpening his issue USN knife and a couple of others he had, including his roommates' knives. He is pretty good at this (wonder why :hmm:) so next time he's on watch he has a few knives from the other Mids lined up to sharpen. After a week or so he pulls the same watch and has literally about 30 knives laid out on the watch desk, including several that probably are not kosher to carry around in the peoples' republic of Nueva York while he sits there sharpening. About 0130 the Company CO pops in to do a surprise bed check. He approaches the watch desk, salutes, etc. and starts to walk away, then looks down. He exclaims "Good LORD! uh, as you were." Junge said the look on his face was priceless. Junge could barely keep from laughing as the CO walked away...
    Anyway hadn't thought about that in a while, funny story to keep my mind off his exams.

2. sand_man

sand_man Grouchy Old Fart MSGO Supporter

Good one. Knife sharpening skills are not had by everyone. I would sit in front of the TV after a long day at work and sharpen several knives just to relax. I still have a scar on my thumb where I was distracted by my son when he was young and the blade sliced about a quarter inch into my thumb.

3. patchz

patchz Court Jester

That story would make a great comedy scene in a good movie. :lol1:

Mesquite and Scharfschütze like this.
  4. Don Goodman

Don Goodman Distinguished Poster

I love knives probably as much as I do guns, and have been a staunch advocate of ALWAYS bringing a gun and a knife to a gun fight.

With all the moving around we've done, somehow lost all my sharpening stones, and as such haven't been able to "hone" my skills. Am looking for someone, or the "how to" to sharpen a special - to me - knife I've carried for about 40 years. It is a Gerber (don't laugh) R.W. Loveless boot dagger - 3 1/2" spear-point, double edged blade. It has served me well over the years but it hasn't been sharpened in ... well a long time. With the shortness of the blade, and the blade design, not sure I'm up to the task, so any suggestions on who in the NE MS area is good at sharpening?

Thanks

Mesquite and Scharfschütze like this.
  5. Scharfschütze

Scharfschütze Waffennarr

I have the exact same knife; one of the plastic retaining pieces in the leather sheath broke years ago. I wrote Gerber about a replacement sheath and they basically told me to search the web for a replacement! Great customer service. I got mine ~1983, I remember because I kept it clipped to a convenient spot on my motorcycle.
    IMG_1228.JPG

Last edited: Jun 13, 2017
    rigrat and Mesquite like this.
  6. Don Goodman

Ja, Sie sind richtig, dass ein großartiges Messer ist. Ich habe auch kontaktiert Gerber Kundenservice, und Sie schickte mir zwei, etwas andere Ersatz-Mantel.

Sorry about that - may not have context/syntax correct. I recently contacted Gerber about a similar issue with my sheath, and they sent me two new ones - no charge . They are canvass, and now rely on pressure fit instead of the plastic clips. If I can locate them, I'd be glad to sent you one.

Mesquite likes this.
  7. Scharfschütze

Scharfschütze Waffennarr

Das wäre ja großzügig von Ihnen. Very generous of you. Let me know if you do find them. The knife is really great & I would like to be able to safely carry it again. Wonder why Gerber didn't give me the same response. Perhaps you contacted the right person; it's been a year or less since they basically responded with a couple of links to manufacturers of kydex holsters & sheaths, none of which made anything to fit this knife. If you know whom you contacted / to whom you sent an email I'll contact them myself, save you the trouble of sending me one. I was surprised by the "sorry, you're on your own" attitude of what came to me via email.

8. Scharfschütze

Scharfschütze Waffennarr

Oh and sorry if I were closer I'd sharpen it for you in about 10 minutes or less, but we are at opposite ends of the state, literally, when you look diagonally. Smith sells a nice dual-surface diamond sharpener at the Great Wal of China Mart for a decent price, which is a good start, particularly for dull tools. But to finish I use ceramic rods, you might have to get one of those from a Bass Pro or some such. I have a pocket ceramic rod set that puts 2 small rods into a plastic base in a v-shape; allows you to just run the blade down on both sides while maintaining the correct angle which is easy, you just point the blade down since the rods are at about a 45 degree angle. Once you have a well-formed edge the ceramic can be used as a "tune-up" to restore a smooth sharp edge without resorting to a stone or diamond sharpener. Best of luck and thanks again for your offer!

Mesquite likes this.
  9. Rw

Rw Distinguished Poster

I have one of those gerbers also, just about the worst edge retention of any knife i have owned ( and thats a lot). I needed a new sheath for mine back around 2000 and bayou blades at the gun show had one.
    Gerber has legendarily bad customer service from what i have read and heard, never contacted them myself since i wont buy anymore of their knives.

Mesquite likes this.
  10. Don Goodman

As far as old Gerber knives are concerned, some felt they were a step above some of the others such as Case, Old Henry, etc. Turns out, after buying a dozen or so Gerbers, I found my Buck 110 held an edge far longer than the Gerbers. That Loveless, however was just what I needed at the time I needed it, and to be sure, it saved my bacon more than once.

New Gerber knives and Gerber customer service, well that appears to be hit or miss. The lad I talked to was both pleasant and helpful. Without hesitating, he said since he couldn't get me a leather replacement, he'd send me a camo and a black, both in canvas.

Sharpshooter, ganz und gar nicht. If you get me your address, I'll try to locate one of the sheaths and get it out to you. Bye the way, do you shoot an authentic Schutzengewehr? Back when I was doing some work with Mr Joseph Coors in Golden CO, he showed me his collection - and man what a collection.

11. Scharfschütze

Scharfschütze Waffennarr

Nope, one of my German friends
    Nah, no Schützengewehr but if I lived closer to someplace that holds such competitions I would probably buy one & start shooting that discipline. I got this nickname from a couple of friends in the German Bundeswehr; I won my first CMP state championships in both M1 and Vintage Rifle back around 2007 IIRC, and told them, shortly after that I was in Germany and got to shoot with them. At the end of our shooting session they ceremoniously and laughingly presented me with the "Scharfschütze" emblem, 2 different ones actually. I sewed one on my shooting jacket & have been "Scharfschütze" ever since. Oh and that just happens to be my NRA Qualification, Sharpshooter.
    Scharfschütze.JPG

12. Don Goodman

Das ist in der Tat besondere. And it is a grand memory that you will be able to reflect back on in future years. I'm still looking for the sheath - unfortunately spent most of the day in Dr office and hospital, but home now and trying to recoup.

13. Scharfschütze

Scharfschütze Waffennarr

No hurry. I'll send a PM later tonight or tomorrow. Right now going out to do a little work as the sun starts to go down & it cools off.