Mississippi Gun Owners banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a coworker that has a lot of ammo that he doesnt have guns for. just so happens that i have the guns in the calibers he has ammo for.

only thing is he said the ammo is 10-15yrs old. would you be afraid to shoot ammo that old?

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
IMHO – No

But it might not hurt to examine what you get for obvious problems.

Recently ran through a mess of ’74 production Pakistani 9mm. No problems. But I did visually examine each and every round.

·
Registered
9,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea definately will inspect the rounds. it is factory ammo, so should be ok... but i look at every round i load even on new stuff...

·
Premium Member
21,644 Posts
I shot some 1918 30-06 not long ago .... use to shoot some pre-WWII 45acp when it was available!!

Many, many years ago I gave my father an S&W M-19, a box of factory .357 and some of my .38Spec reloads. When he died, my mother gave me the gun along with the ammo. Seems he had only shot about 1/2 of the box of factory .357 and a few of the .38 reloads. I took the ammo out and shot it up .... not a single FTF with either the factory or my reloads after more than 25years.

If it is factory ammo - inspect it and if good to go, shoot it. If they are reloads - NO NOT SHOOT IT regardless of age!! My standing advise is to NEVER shoot reloads of unknown orgin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
9,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Its all factory according to him. I would have a hard time shooting reloads of known origin unless I was sure of the reloader's abilities. Lol

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
JACKETED FACTORY AMMO IS 35 YEARS

LEAD BULLETED AMMO IN PISTOLS CAN GO BAD IN 8-10 YEARS IF IT IS HAND CAST.

MILITARY AMMO IS SEALED AND NON-CORROSIVE VERSIONS WILL SHOOT FOR 4-=50 YEARS WITHOUT PROBLEMS

CORROSIVE MILITARY AMMUNITION HAS A SELF LIFE THAT IS ALMOST UNLIMITED. i HAVE SEEM 11MM MAUSER BP AMMO MADE IN 1885 THAT STILL FIRES TODAY.

DOUG sorry about the capitals

·
Registered
15,550 Posts
I've shot my own reloads that I made 20 yrs ago

It all depends on how its stored

Just inspect the brass and make sure none are discolored badly or pitted...

Then shoot the heck out of it

·
Registered
9,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
He's checkin. Its just a few boxes he said but I will pass on any I can't use for what it costs me. ;)

·
Registered
5,486 Posts
Yeah, as stated above. If it is factory ammo and has been stored somewhere relatively cool and dry, no problems.

I would not shoot it if it is reloaded. I have shot stuff I have reloaded 15 years ago, both jacketed bullets and cast with no problems. But I have reservations about shooting anyone's reloads, no matter how old they are. I gotta know the reloaded before I will try their ammo.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I've shot some Turkish 8mm made about 100 years ago, and in a Turkish Mauser it was very accurate for Military ball ammo.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts