Mississippi Gun Owners banner

Shooting 5.56mm in a .223 cal Chamber

Tags
.223 shooting
3K views 23 replies 9 participants last post by  Quickeye 
#1 ·
I have a .223 Savage and want to shoot 5.56 in it. I have some 5.56 M-855 with green tip, 62 grains. With this round in chamber, I have .160" freebore. Sounds like plenty to me, but what do you chamber guys say about it? Do I have enuf freebore to be safe?
Thanks, Pete

#5 ·
I will let the others answer pertaining to free bore. I have owned the the older Colt AR-15s for almost 30 years. While the 1 in 7 twist rate is supposed to be best to shoot heavier bullets in the 223, I shot 64 grain bullets in mine years ago. I have not looked at the charts lately but the best I remember is that there is just a modest increase in power of the 5.56 compared to regular 223.
I would guess that if you only shot a few that it might be ok. But if I were to shoot a lot, I might consider getting a new barrel in the 223 Wyld chamber.Or having your barrel re-chambered.
Note ,I am not a Doctor, I just play one on TV.

#9 ·
If it was mine I know what I would do. I have been shooting military ammo in .223 chambered rifles since the 70's. Bolt guns, semi autos and TC Super 14's. Never had one problem.

#10 · (Edited)
I think all the Savage Axis' are long action. I did my own job on crowning the barrel...we shall see. Ain't the first one I have done the homebrew way..ha. Waiting on a rail for scope mounting to come in before testing. Will test with .223 and 5.56. I had the barrel cut to 16 1/2" and will use the ear protection device on the end of it.

#16 ·
I did a little investigative study on this subject. When I do this I usually learn something I did not know. I read somewhere that the 556 can generate a good bit more pressure. Yet when reading the listing on different ammo, I found the net results to be close. For instance, For several years, I have been doing some target shooting with PPU ammo in different calibers. 22 Hornet, 22-250 and pistol ammo.
I read that they have the same feet per second in similar weight bullets in 5.56 and .223.
Also I have yet to see a Savage rifle that was not tough and accurate.

#17 ·
I tried to find a 5.56 neck and throat reamer for my .223 (that I could afford) no go. Then I found I had somewhat over a tenth of an inch freebore ahead of the 62 grain 5.56 bullet I am gonna shoot. I think all is well, but I have read the cautions and forebodings....

#20 ·
My honest opinion(and it's worth what you paid for it) is that all this BS about 5.56mm in a .223Rem and needing a Wylde chambering is just a market ploy to sell new barrels/rifles. I have shot every type of 5.56mm ammo out there in .223Rem chambered rifles and pistols in sunny weather, rainy weather, snowy weather in 100+degree days and -30 degree days. At sea level and up to 12,000 feet above sea level. In new guns,old guns, single shots, bolt guns and semi autos with absolutely ZERO problems of ANY kind.
I will continue to do so.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.