close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Shooting on 165 acres in Columbus

Discussion in 'Mississippi Gun Laws' started by Browning262, Nov 12, 2017 at 2:09 PM.

1. rigrat

rigrat Semper Fi

IMO , the deputy broke the law coming onto your place. But I'm sure they will sight probable cause so no need for a warrant to break onto your property.
    I would have asked him what law I was breaking? And if he couldn't give me a reasonable answer would have continued shooting.

Blondie70, Cliff731, bar306 and 2 others like this.
  2. 94LEVERFAN

94LEVERFAN Distinguished Poster

Screw the city, if you have over 50 acres, go get a tank.

3. Vick

Vick Distinguished Poster

Browning, Rigrat had it right when he said to get a professional survey. I can tell you from experience that internet maps with building overlays or often not right and the maps with building overlays produced by the county mapping departments often suffer from the same problem. But if a licensed Surveyor marks the city limits on your map and your house is beyond it, you will win in court and the likelihood of it getting to court will be very slim. If the police issue you a citation anyway, take the survey to the judge when you challenge the citation and the case will be thrown out. I run into property line disputes often when appraising properties and they are always solved by a surveyor.

4. CajunBP

CajunBP Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

Odds are the cops just aren't sure. The city attorney or county should be able to tell you for free. If it is "their" property let them tell you. If you disagree, then you can always go out of pocket. I could be wrong, but I like to go with the cheapest route first, LOL!

5. rigrat

rigrat Semper Fi

I agree on the cheapest but disagree on trusting them to be right.

6. TheBouncer1111

TheBouncer1111 Distinguished Poster

They, city, can only interpret the maps they have. As on another post above, if the maps are flawed from the start, so will be the interpretation. A surveyor report removes any question.
    However, having a survey report in hand, does not mean you have a right to argue with the boots on the ground cop. Just means you get to sit back and laugh when he gets schooled before a judge.

Blondie70 likes this.
  7. 94LEVERFAN

Are you paying city property taxes? If not, tell them to pound sand. If you are, make damn sure that you ARE in the city. You might be due a refund.

8. bucmeister

bucmeister Distinguished Poster

SW-MS
    Not a lawyer, however in reading the section of law bubbat quoted earlier in the thread two points come to mind. As mentioned by Cliff731 find out when, exactly the property was annexed, if after the date enumerated (09-01-1981) the way I understand it they, the LEO's nor the neighbors, have no standing. Additionally, the quoted section specifically says 150 feet limit on shotguns the 300 applies to rifles.

(b) To regulate the discharge of firearms within the limits of the county or municipality. A county or municipality may not apply a regulation relating to the discharge of firearms or other weapons in the extraterritorial jurisdiction of the county or municipality or in an area annexed by the county or municipality after September 1, 1981, if the firearm or other weapon is:

(i) A shotgun, air rifle or air pistol, BB gun or bow and arrow discharged:

1. On a tract of land of ten (10) acres or more and more than one hundred fifty (150) feet from a residence or occupied building located on another property; and

2. In a manner not reasonably expected to cause a projectile to cross the boundary of the tract;
    or

(ii) A center fire or rim fire rifle or pistol or a muzzle-loading rifle or pistol of any caliber discharged:

1. On a tract of land of fifty (50) acres or more and more than three hundred (300) feet from a residence or occupied building located on another property; and

2. In a manner not reasonably expected to cause a projectile to cross the boundary of tract;

Cliff731 and mascott like this.
  9. bucmeister

bucmeister Distinguished Poster

SW-MS
    As to the noise complaint most of the time those rules don't kick in until after dark, thinking 10 PM in most cases, if they apply at all.

Cliff731 and mascott like this.
  10. mascott

mascott Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

Interested to find out more.

LearCo, Cliff731 and rigrat like this.
  11. Chris Boyd

Chris Boyd Distinguished Poster

SW MS
    I can guarantee that the maps you find at the courthouse will be flawed. I am a title abstractor by trade and have dealt with the mapping departments in all 82 counties at one point or another over the last 20 years. They will all tell you that their maps “are for taxation purposes only”. In other words, they aren’t exactly accurate. I’ve researched land titles where the deeded description and the county maps differ wildly. As in the shape of the assessed parcel and the shape of the deeded description do not match at all. I’ve seen counties shoehorn 20 acre parcels into 40 acre quarter/quarter sections and when you total all of the parcels in said quarter/quarter you get 60 acres. That’s not possible unless the county maps or the deeded descriptions are wrong. I know a lot of that may sound greek. Sorry.

In short - DO NOT TRUST THE COUNTY MAPS! Hire a surveyor.

LearCo, 94LEVERFAN, maxhush and 4 others like this.
  12. LearCo

LearCo Distinguished Poster

T-A-N-E-R-I-T-E-----------.................Makes good neighbors!
    @midnight every day for a month or two.........fun fun

Sad part here the complaining ass-000 will continue to complain!
    You're going the correct route with your search< You're dealing with CPD
    most are good ole boys just invite them too shoot when they show up.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2017 at 8:15 AM
    rigrat, 94LEVERFAN and Cliff731 like this.
  13. 94LEVERFAN

Roughly 30 yrs ago, Ridgeland MS had an annexation. Me and my brother owned 4.5 acres of VERY VALUABLE property at the corner of I-55 and County Line rd. Daddy sent me to city hall to inquire if we were annexed because we had not gotten a tax bill, still just paying county taxes.
    City Hall pulled a map, looked at it and said, no, you are good. Guess what, they efed up the legal description on the map. We WERE in the city. Land was sold for taxes, no notification, ect ect. Pretty sure it was a brother-in-law deal. Cost several thousand $ to get title back to OUR LAND. In case you are wondering, it is the property Drury Inns and Logans Steakhouse occupies nows. Sold for over $10/square foot. 4.5 acres at 43560 sq ft. / acre adds up to a lot of $.

Blondie70, LearCo, mascott and 2 others like this.
  14. Cliff731

Cliff731 Danged ole' Hermit...

Back in the early to mid 1970's, all I used to see was a "honkey tonk" sitting up on a hill on the right side of I-55N, as one took the off ramp at County Line Road! Was nothing else there at the time!

LearCo, rigrat and 94LEVERFAN like this.
  15. 94LEVERFAN

That was not our property, trying to think of what it was. In early 70s I was not old enough (legally) to be in bars. Notice I did say legally, lol. Our property was on the west side of 55 and the north side of County Line. And this was before they straightened the curve out of County Line.

LearCo and Cliff731 like this.
  16. TheBouncer1111

TheBouncer1111 Distinguished Poster

If I remember rightly, was called The Zebra...a no-tell motel, green and white.

Cliff731 likes this.
  17. GunnyGene

GunnyGene Distinguished Poster

To the OP: I've been shooting fairly often on my property in Monroe County (Hamilton) for the last 17 years, including off my porch. No where near any city limits, but the school is about 1/4 mile away. Never had any visits by the Sheriff, or a Deputy, asking what's up, or anybody complaining about noise, etc. I'd guess that you've got a neighbor that just doesn't like guns.

bucmeister, Blondie70, para40 and 2 others like this.
  18. cottonmouth

cottonmouth Distinguished Poster

The tax assessor can print you a map to show you exactly where the line is. Get on the county side and let the hammer down.

J.B.

Cliff731 likes this.
  19. rigrat

rigrat Semper Fi

Personally I wouldn't trust them at all. I would hire my own surveyor to find exactly without a doubt where the line is. Will cost you a little money but in the long run you got something to go to bat with.

20. captain-03

captain-03 Moderator Staff Member MSGO Supporter

Byram, MS
    ^^ This is the one I like the best. The City would be the one to bring action if it got that far. Talk with them first!! IMHO

Cliff731 likes this.