Mississippi Gun Owners banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is going to be a bunch of rambling with some moderately strong opinions and with some solicitations for other peoples opinions. So, jump in when you feel like voicing yours.

So while I like guns, I don’t like them in a way that I see them as possessions that I enjoy just the fact that I own them. After nearly a dozen moves and two floods I’m thoroughly convinced there is such a thing as too much stuff, and guns ( particularly handguns) is not an area I which I care to indulge collecting for the sake of collecting.

Anyways I have been giving significant thought to a unified platform. Another words if my “subcompact” and full-size big scary gun used the same series of mags (glock 17,19,26,34,45) and had all the same manual of arms and interchangeable parts (you sort of can do this with gen 5 stuff). So today I had the idea to cut down the grip of a g17 or g19 to the height of a g26 making a long slide 26. To my surprise someone went down this road about 10 years ago and a few others have followed. There are apparently even clone frames already.

As a side note I feel like the sig 320 could fill the need Im just not aware of frame as short. As best I understand it the 365 and 320 are very similar but that’s about it.

Ok I’m gonna restate the concept, subcompact and full-size guns that can share parts, slides, barrels, holsters etc, subcompact that can accept a real wml (not just the punny tlr-6 I have on my Shield), a subcompact that accepts 33 round mags.

From a shootability standpoint a cut down 17 or 19 will recoil less than a 26 (or any other subcompact for that matter) light or no light because of the weight, the longer sight radius allows for faster sight acquisition.

Couple visual aids for inspiration
Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Wood Gun accessory

Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Wood

Wood Tool Gun barrel Trigger Gun accessory

Revolver Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory

·
Premium Member
18,440 Posts
Rambling you say! 🤔

Plastic and aluminum guns are nothing but tools……..wood and blued steel are boomer utensils from an era long gone. Shotguns are all you need,just need to shoot them in the air twice to achieve world piece. 45acp is the best for when you need to use 1700s musket balls to reload the casing,9mm couldn’t penetrate notebook paper,and 40 short and weak is made to duplicate the shock wave explosions in Nagasaki and Hiroshima inside your wrist with all the terminal ballistics of a 22short.

Honestly………I’d probably just stick with Glock. Even with the stupid “new models” they come up with that’s just the same old schit wrapped in a new box. What goes wrong with those? They melt on the dash…….maybe,don’t be a dumba$$ and leave it on the dash. Can the dog chew them……..yep,again…..don’t be a dumba$$ 😂

Of course you could go all mid evil era, 100 year old boomer tech and get you a 1911. But! Not just any old 1911…….you gotta get a good one! Not a sloppy,ill fitting,made to function Tisas or RIA……..you need to get you a kimber! Yep,one of those bad boys! One that will literally hang up on some navel lint! Yes sir! A good one! 😆

Man,pick something that suits you and run that sucker!

·
Premium Member
Let's go shoot some, we dont want to wound anything.
7,485 Posts
The concept to which you speak is not a new one, at least in earlier forms. The cowboys of the late 1800s[some of them] had carbines and revolvers that shot the same bullet, 44-40, 32-20. etc. Everyone is different, if you want to downsize, that is your right and freedom. To me the fun is buying a new toy. It does become expensive having several thousand dollars worth of different ammo. If I live long enough I may cut down so that I can buy more. I just love so many different calibers and guns that it is hard to settle for one or two. Although I do have my favorites.I am a big fan of the 22wmr revolver, semi-auto pistol and rifle. Also the 44 mag, carbine and revolvers so there is a start.There is only one Glock, the 17.

Reactions: rc and Ellis93

·
Gatekeeper to my corner of Hell.
26,113 Posts
I know I am in the minority that had a lemon Glock. Bought a first gen when they first were available, it was a jam-o-matic. Took a trip back to Glock to get it shoot a whole magazine without problems, sold it soon after I got it back. They might be great guns, but I won't buy another one and would only take a free one to sell to Glock fans.
If I had to chose a single platform to buy it would probably be S&W M&Ps or Sigs DA/SA
Guess I have really already have chosen all my semi auto pistols are S&W.

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The concept to which you speak is not a new one, at least in earlier forms. The cowboys of the late 1800s[some of them] had carbines and revolvers that shot the same bullet, 44-40, 32-20. etc. Everyone is different, if you want to downsize, that is your right and freedom. To me the fun is buying a new toy. It does become expensive having several thousand dollars worth of different ammo. If I live long enough I may cut down so that I can buy more. I just love so many different calibers and guns that it is hard to settle for one or two. Although I do have my favorites.I am a big fan of the 22wmr revolver, semi-auto pistol and rifle. Also the 44 mag, carbine and revolvers so there is a start.There is only one Glock, the 17.
Oh I only own one caliber handgun already. And until I traded away my 40 it had been a dust collector for a few years. Again I really like guns don’t get me wrong but I would prefer to be really proficient with a couple or 3. Proficiency increases when you don’t have to remember which gun you have and where you should put your hands on this one and how and when do you activate the light and swipe the safety, and, and, and. Life is full of scarcities. Two that heavily effect this topic is time for training and ammo to train with. Over the course of sever years I have come to respect those scarcities by limiting what I train with. That way I get the most efficient use of my range time and ammo. I think I can further improve that by using the same basic gun (still multiple guns) for all defensive needs. Honestly if I had infinite space, funds, and time baskin robins wouldn’t have anything on me. But if I had bottomless time and funds I would be ringing steel daily. Because a gun is just a possession unless you are thoroughly equipped to use it when necessary.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
This is going to be a bunch of rambling with some moderately strong opinions and with some solicitations for other peoples opinions. So, jump in when you feel like voicing yours.

So while I like guns, I don’t like them in a way that I see them as possessions that I enjoy just the fact that I own them. After nearly a dozen moves and two floods I’m thoroughly convinced there is such a thing as too much stuff, and guns ( particularly handguns) is not an area I which I care to indulge collecting for the sake of collecting.

Anyways I have been giving significant thought to a unified platform. Another words if my “subcompact” and full-size big scary gun used the same series of mags (glock 17,19,26,34,45) and had all the same manual of arms and interchangeable parts (you sort of can do this with gen 5 stuff). So today I had the idea to cut down the grip of a g17 or g19 to the height of a g26 making a long slide 26. To my surprise someone went down this road about 10 years ago and a few others have followed. There are apparently even clone frames already.

As a side note I feel like the sig 320 could fill the need Im just not aware of frame as short. As best I understand it the 365 and 320 are very similar but that’s about it.

Ok I’m gonna restate the concept, subcompact and full-size guns that can share parts, slides, barrels, holsters etc, subcompact that can accept a real wml (not just the punny tlr-6 I have on my Shield), a subcompact that accepts 33 round mags.

From a shootability standpoint a cut down 17 or 19 will recoil less than a 26 (or any other subcompact for that matter) light or no light because of the weight, the longer sight radius allows for faster sight acquisition.

Couple visual aids for inspiration
View attachment 311177
View attachment 311179
View attachment 311178
View attachment 311176
I remember Rig doing something like you described.

·
Premium Member
18,440 Posts
Oh I only own one caliber handgun already. And until I traded away my 40 it had been a dust collector for a few years. Again I really like guns don’t get me wrong but I would prefer to be really proficient with a couple or 3. Proficiency increases when you don’t have to remember which gun you have and where you should put your hands on this one and how and when do you activate the light and swipe the safety, and, and, and. Life is full of scarcities. Two that heavily effect this topic is time for training and ammo to train with. Over the course of sever years I have come to respect those scarcities by limiting what I train with. That way I get the most efficient use of my range time and ammo. I think I can further improve that by using the same basic gun (still multiple guns) for all defensive needs. Honestly if I had infinite space, funds, and time baskin robins wouldn’t have anything on me. But if I had bottomless time and funds I would be ringing steel daily. Because a gun is just a possession unless you are thoroughly equipped to use it when necessary.
It’s 9mm isn’t it?!
Coat Beard Art Suit Picture frame

🤣

Reactions: rc

·
Premium Member
18,440 Posts
I know I am in the minority that had a lemon Glock. Bought a first gen when they first were available, it was a jam-o-matic. Took a trip back to Glock to get it shoot a whole magazine without problems, sold it soon after I got it back. They might be great guns, but I won't buy another one and would only take a free one to sell to Glock fans.
If I had to chose a single platform to buy it would probably be S&W M&Ps or Sigs DA/SA
You’re a minority in several things!!!!! 🤣

·
Registered
12,392 Posts
That minority if larger than you think. We had a very similar experience with a gen 2 and have seen the same with Gen5 but at least their triggers are better. No firearm is immune to failures so don’t believe that BS.

PS. don’t get me started on the weird grip angle and the back straps that just make it worse. Shadow Systems grip modules is what they should have done from the beginning. Allow the gun to adapt to fit the person not force the person to adapt to the gun.

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I would stick with the Glock platform, yes, it's my personal preference, but it also has the largest aftermarket support and cheapest handgun magazines, that are widely available.

That picture of the chopped 19X made me sick though :sick:
Yeah they could have done a better job reshaping the bottom of the back strap. I clearly have zero reverence for most guns. I have 2 that will go unmolested regardless of practical use but everything else it’s a matter of am I willing to gamble with modifying it.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
I've been at the point you are for a while now. My gun ownership was never about a collection but rather me either buying tools for specific uses or just buying what I wanted to own at the time, but in the last 7 years I've made some major changes. Rather than consolidate to a particular platform I chose to consolidate my caliber options and firearms based around those calibers. I tend to favor versatility in my firearms over dedicated roles as I'd rather know any firearm I own pressed into any role I desire will function well even if it's not the absolute best possible thing.

As @DEADEYE 1 said, the concept is not new and like some of the cowboys of old I too have handguns and rifles in the same calibers for logistical reasons. Overall, my total amount of guns is relatively low compared to most people but that's also because I'm usually satisfied with my choices to a point I don't feel the need to buy/sell/repeat and rarely does something change so drastically in life to make me want something else at all. I've got rifles that are serviceable in a wartime scenario but they also are good for hunting most the medium and small game in the state, ammo for them is relatively cheap all things considering too. So even if the time isn't now where they are needed for their original purpose they still get used.

Guns are tools, how we use them is up to us. I see nothing wrong with consolidating platforms for logistical reasons or even familiarity. At the time I made the choice to consolidate calibers I had played with the idea of consolidating platforms as well. At the time an M1 Carbine, Ruger Mini-14 and Mini-30 were in the home so I thought about consolidating to that type of action and eventually getting an M1A or something along those lines. But, I opted against it because it went against another line of thinking I was having at that time. I didn't want to keep things in the house my wife couldn't use or be proficient with. While the Mini's and M1 Carbine were fine an M1A would be too much, but then it was also 3-4 different types of ammo all proprietary to the rifles in question as there was no interchangeable ammo with my other guns save for the 7.62x39. But the things I own now with very few exceptions are interchangeable with each other, so multiple guns can fire the same calibers and etc.

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Maybe we should ask ourselves: Is the pistol I'm carrying the one I would have chosen if I had known I'd be in a fight today? If "yes", then most of the others are probably just fluff. Personally, I've tried to learn new tricks but, I always end up with the same old Glock.
That’s quite literally how I think about my handguns. It’s not a fashion accessory. That said more often than not I would prefer my full-size when that though crosses my mind, however life is full of compromises and a subcompact is definitely more comfortable to carry

·
Registered
7,414 Posts
That’s quite literally how I think about my handguns. It’s not a fashion accessory. That said more often than not I would prefer my full-size when that though crosses my mind, however life is full of compromises and a subcompact is definitely more comfortable to carry
It's more comfortable and I've found that I shoot the 26 as well as the 19. Never felt like it wasn't enough gun. Some people have a tough time adjusting to the short grip though.

·
Registered
12,392 Posts
Maybe we should ask ourselves: Is the pistol I'm carrying the one I would have chosen if I had known I'd be in a fight today? If "yes", then most of the others are probably just fluff. Personally, I've tried to learn new tricks but, I always end up with the same old Glock.
I would choose my fullsize 75, but carrying that thing is not easy. The p-01 is a great compromise as i can actually get all fingers on it unlike a midsize glock. I do carry an lc9s if im wearing gym shorts or lounging around the house.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Well I didn't choose the guns I carry to be cool looking or anything. Not that some of them aren't pretty to look at or anything but I shoot them all regularly enough to a point that no matter what I have with me I am confident in my ability with it and am prepared. Sure, some of the guns I have are not what most would consider carrying or anything of the sorts but I know what I can do with them and that's what counts at the end of the day.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts