Mississippi Gun Owners banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a bit of a Contender junkie. My condition only seems to be getting worse. Here's what I need help with.....

There's just something cool about a Contender with a short barrel. I'm thinking around 4" would suffice. I can't decide on a cartridge/caliber. 357mag is out. I've already got much better options there. Maybe 44 mag? 256 win mag? Any suggestions?

·
Grouchy Old Fart
23,650 Posts
Out of a 4" barrel I'd stick with a handgun round as rifle rounds need more barrel to burn the powder. You will get plenty of muzzle blast from the 44 or 357 mag but you can plink with the lower power special loads. If you went with the 327 round, you can shoot any 32 caliber round.

·
Premium Member
13,314 Posts
4" will probably be for short range and TC's like rimmed cartridges. For something different how about the .45 Auto Rim. Starline has the brass and you can use .45 ACP dies, just need a different shell holder. I load them for my two .45 ACP revolvers so I don't have to use the moon clips. They can be loaded from plinkin' loads up to +P. Plus they're subsonic. A 4" TC with a suppressor would be awesome.

·
Super Moderator
7,662 Posts
the .45 Auto Rim. Starline has the brass and you can use .45 ACP dies, just need a different shell holder. I load them for my two .45 ACP revolvers so I don't have to use the moon clips. They can be loaded from plinkin' loads up to +P. Plus they're subsonic.
That's interesting info I did not know. Thanks. I can look into that for my pre-25 Smith.

The only problem is . . . I'm sitting on about a bazillion rounds of .45 ACP, and the Smith revolver is the only gun I currently have that shoots them.

·
Registered
6,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm not particularly recoil sensitive but that sounds like a bit too much of a good thing.

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
So many good rounds. The 44 mag is a potent round. I have killed several deer with it in both rifle and revolver. Plus as Sand Man said the 44 special can be shot with it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts