Mississippi Gun Owners banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At first today I thought things were going well. I spent many hours today trimming hulls and cutting wads.

Hulls - Wads - Cutter.jpg

This shows just a small portion of the work I did today. The clear hulls are brand new Cheddite 2-1/2" hulls (2-1/2" not 2-3/4"). I used these because I discovered I only had to run a hull through the trimmer 2 times to get the desired 1.75" OAL. The red hulls are once-fired Fiocchi hulls that after trimming, deprime and sizing they went into the SS pins for 1.5 hours. The 4 wads in the back are the type selected for the LEE 7/8oz slug. After cutting you get the only parts needed for mini shells - the shot cup and gas seal. The big white plastic thing is the hull trimmer.

Mini Hulls Drying.jpg

1.75" Fiocchi hulls drying in front of the fan.

OK....... now for "the wall" part. This afternoon as I was headed out to go to work, I notice the old flat screen TV that died Saturday had been moved. The old TV is in the garage. I looked around the garage and noticed my drill press is missing. I then took a quick spot inventory and the only other thing I see missing is a 20# bottle of propane. Those POSs even had to move a few pieces of Phillip's steel targets that were on top of the propane. The steel targets were on the floor. I thought to myself the loss wasn't that bad. Then.... I remembered the drill press had my hull vise and roll-crimper on it. HELL, the vise and crimper cost more than the press. Those little sh*ts even took the two C-clamps that holds the press on the bench. I think it was neighborhood kids.

So tonight I hit the Internet to buy replacement stuff. First I went to BPI for the vise and crimper. OUT OF STOCK..... (sh*t). While at BPI I did get some more wads and a LEE 7/8oz slug mold. I was also going to buy some more 2-1/2" hulls, but..... OUT OF STOCK. I then did a Google search for the vise and Midway popped up. Midway had both IN STOCK and even cheaper than BPI. Tomorrow I will look around for another drill press.

Just when I get on a roll with super short (mini) shotgun shells this happens. Oh well, part of life.................

·
Premium Member
13,552 Posts
Man I would have made you as many of those slugs as you wanted. Least you would have known if it was worth it before you bought a mold....god forbid that Shirley inspects it!
I hate thieves......say the word and we'll go find that dang drill press and assorted goods!

·
Premium Member
14,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Ellis. I wasn't planning to buy the LEE mold, but since the vise and crimper and hulls were OUT OF STOCK, I looked around for something cheap to help offset the shipping cost.

OH YEAH...... I too hope Shirley didn't inspect/pass the mold I get.

Some of the wads I bought are coming to you. I bought the types that will work with both the LEE and Lyman slugs.

·
Registered
15,440 Posts
At first today I thought things were going well. I spent many hours today trimming hulls and cutting wads.

View attachment 52080
This shows just a small portion of the work I did today. The clear hulls are brand new Cheddite 2-1/2" hulls (2-1/2" not 2-3/4"). I used these because I discovered I only had to run a hull through the trimmer 2 times to get the desired 1.75" OAL. The red hulls are once-fired Fiocchi hulls that after trimming, deprime and sizing they went into the SS pins for 1.5 hours. The 4 wads in the back are the type selected for the LEE 7/8oz slug. After cutting you get the only parts needed for mini shells - the shot cup and gas seal. The big white plastic thing is the hull trimmer.

View attachment 52081

OK....... now for "the wall" part. This afternoon as I was headed out to go to work, I notice the old flat screen TV that died Saturday had been moved. The old TV is in the garage. I looked around the garage and noticed my drill press is missing. I then took a quick spot inventory and the only other thing I see missing is a 20# bottle of propane. Those POSs even had to move a few pieces of Phillip's steel targets that were on top of the propane. The steel targets were on the floor. I thought to myself the loss wasn't that bad. Then.... I remembered the drill press had my hull vise and roll-crimper on it. HELL, the vise and crimper cost more than the press. Those little sh*ts even took the two C-clamps that holds the press on the bench. I think it was neighborhood kids.

So tonight I hit the Internet to buy replacement stuff. First I went to BPI for the vise and crimper. OUT OF STOCK..... (sh*t). While at BPI I did get some more wads and a LEE 7/8oz slug mold. I was also going to buy some more 2-1/2" hulls, but..... OUT OF STOCK. I then did a Google search for the vise and Midway popped up. Midway had both IN STOCK and even cheaper than BPI. Tomorrow I will look around for another drill press.

Just when I get on a roll with super short (mini) shotgun shells this happens. Oh well, part of life.................

Can't like this!!! sorry to hear about it!!:mad::(

·
Premium Member
20,396 Posts
I HATE A THIEF!!!!

·
Registered
4,338 Posts

View attachment 52080

View attachment 52081

i get the harbor freight emails...
they have a coupon for there 8 inch 5 speed bench top model $55 this week. NOt american, but the cheap chinese version I'm sure.

·
Registered
12,668 Posts
i get the harbor freight emails...
they have a coupon for there 8 inch 5 speed bench top model $55 this week. NOt american, but the cheap chinese version I'm sure.
I doubt you can even buy an american made drill press for under a grand now if there are any still being made. Out of the several i have owned only two were made here, an old dewalt and a powermatic somebody gave me.

·
Premium Member
14,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks guys, but I have had a Harbor Freight type drill press in the past. Cheap price equaled cheap quality. The chuck head wobbled quite a bit side-to-side.

Last night I went back to Home Depot and ordered another WEN drill press. For $81, I am impressed with the quality of WEN.

The drill press cost $87.54 shipped. And the vise and crimper cost $89.00 shipped. $176.54 I could have spent on something else....... All of my orders should be here by next Wednesday.

In the mean time I will continue to trim tall hulls into short hulls. My fingers are getting sore.

·
Premium Member
13,552 Posts
Thanks guys, but I have had a Harbor Freight type drill press in the past. Cheap price equaled cheap quality. The chuck head wobbled quite a bit side-to-side.

Last night I went back to Home Depot and ordered another WEN drill press. For $81, I am impressed with the quality of WEN.

The drill press cost $87.54 shipped. And the vise and crimper cost $89.00 shipped. $176.54 I could have spent on something else....... All of my orders should be here by next Wednesday.

In the mean time I will continue to trim tall hulls into short hulls. My fingers are getting sore.

I ordered the trimmer and vice blocks. The pinch part of the vice,jaws. I have an idea for them to make it faster.......in theory,in my mind.

·
Premium Member
14,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I ordered the trimmer and vice blocks. The pinch part of the vice,jaws. I have an idea for them to make it faster.......in theory,in my mind.
Good....... You WILL NEED some type of hull vise for roll-crimping. Your fingers will give-out in no time when trying to roll-crimp without a vise.

Please show us a picture when you get the roll-crimper setup.

·
Premium Member
13,552 Posts
Good....... You WILL NEED some type of hull vise for roll-crimping. Your fingers will give-out in no time when trying to roll-crimp without a vise.

Please show us a picture when you get the roll-crimper setup.

Oh.....fear not. I thought up a (what I think) is a great idea to speed up the process of retaining/holding the shell without the bulk of that platform/body. Again.....I think lol

1 - 16 of 16 Posts